Can't install a virtual machine on OMV

• Hey everyone,

New to OMV. I just installed it on an older desktop I had lying around.

What I am trying to accomplish, other than using it for mass storage, is to hold my virtual machine hard drives. So I have a Hyper V Windows server. I'm trying to just keep the .vhdx files on the OMV box.

So when I select to either install the hard drive (or even copy an existing vhdx file and use that) I get the following error message: "The Virtual Machine Management service encountered an error while configuring the hard disk on virtual machine 'NameofmyVM'. 'NameofmyVM failed to add resources to 'NameofmyVM'. Failed to set folder permissions. Verify that the host machine account has read/write access to the share."

It seems like a permissions issue. I create a user called "windows_server" and set it to read/write access to my VirtualMachine share folder created on OMV. I'm using SMB on OMV. I then mapped the share drive to the server and selected that location to install the virtual machine disk.

Once that didn't work, I tried the following:
    - Setting the share to allow guests.
    - Not mapping the share, just navigating to the network location to install
    - Tried creating the vm hard disk before creating the virtual machine. It let's me create the hard drive on the share, but for some reason once I create the virtual machine to use that hard drive I get the above permissions error.

Using version 2.2.5 (Stone Burner).

I'm not sure why it would let me create the hard drive file (and really any other files) on the share VirtualMachine folder, but once I go to use the vhdx file for a virtual machine I get a permissions error.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!