Calibre Plugin missing in OMV 3.0.30

• Hi together,
    Upgraded to OMV 3, all went well and im very satisfied with your work guys ! respect , respect !
    Only missing the plugin CALIBRE , although its described as a part of OMV Extrasorg, its neither visible in Web GUI not installable form CLI ( openmediavault-calibre ).
    So my question: whos the one who has stolen ist, and why ? ;)
    And will it be available or is it cancelled in OMV 3 ?
    Thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

I chose not to port it to 3.0.13+ because I don't have enough time. Someone else is more than welcome to do port it.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hi and Hello,
    So I would try to construct the plugin for calibre, i read the instructions from WastlJ (2014 !!! ) for DIY Plugins, but im not shure if these are all valuable for OMV 3 ..... ?????
    are there newer descriptions or can I rely in these old ones ?
    Thanks and more

• Offizieller Beitrag

You don't need to construct the plugin since it is already written. I just needs the changes to work with OMV 3.0.13+. Look at the changes in the commit to the other plugins on github.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Thank you to all creating and maintaining such nice piece of software.
    Is there some progress on Calibre with omv 3.x. Unfortunately I can't really help but i use the ebook server with omv 2.x very often and would like to use it also under omv 3.x.
    Are there more supporters here ? So far it looks only very few people are interested.
    Regards

• Offizieller Beitrag

Due to my time constraints, I have reduced the number of plugins that I maintain. calibre is one of the plugins I was not going to maintain.

• Offizieller Beitrag

What plugin would be the best to use an example to determine the changes needed to update the Calibre plugin?

Probably the syncthing plugin. Maybe minidlna too.

• frankly it is so easy to install the server via CLI (and coming from me have to be that easy) that
    a plug in can wait, unless you really want to do it.

I was curious about it as I do want to run it on my server. so I searched and here is a quick run down.

#1. got to Official Calibry site
    run the "Binary install" command in CLI when prompted choose where to install the calibre
    in my case I went whith "/opt/calibre"

Code
    sudo -v && wget -nv -O- https://raw.githubusercontent.com/kovidgoyal/calibre/master/setup/linux-installer.py | sudo python -c "import sys; main=lambda:sys.stderr.write('Download failed\n'); exec(sys.stdin.read()); main()"

then I was using several hot-to I found one is here and other is here

they very much a like and you can use the second page as I did use the script from the second how-to
    that is a upstat script in /etc/init.d folder rather than in /etc/init

for some reason script from the first link did not work for me.
    there is also how-to make the service on systemd here but it also did not work for me as of yet
    it starts the service but I get lots of errors

#2 Update your package lists: sudo apt-get update[\tt]

Install xvfb: [tt]sudo apt-get install xvfb Install ImageMagick: [tt]sudo apt-get install imagemagick [\tt]

#3 Create the library folder where ever you want it to be (my is in /opt/calibre-library)
    but it creates a bunch off issues with sharing and access so it is better to not use system drive but instead put the library on the data drive/partition that you can share. I was doing it as a test.

#4 create script in /etc/init.d folder using code from second link in #1.
    I am attaching code that worked for me

and run [tt]chmod +x /etc/init.d/calibre-server[\tt] to make it executable

#5 restart the server

my only issue is that I am not sure how to make this a full daemon so it will run on restart

• I chose not to port it to 3.0.13+ because I don't have enough time. Someone else is more than welcome to do port it.

I would like to help here, but i would realy need support from an experieced plugin coder.
    I am not familiar with OMVs plugin interface, i do not know how to test plugins and i never thought about participation in development.
    But maybe this could be a good point to give back something to OMV.

Maybe one of the devs likes this challenge to help me upgrading the calibre plugin to the recent build of OMV3. Later versions should be on my shoulders only.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would like to help here, but i would realy need support from an experieced plugin coder.I am not familiar with OMVs plugin interface, i do not know how to test plugins and i never thought about participation in development.
    But maybe this could be a good point to give back something to OMV.

Maybe one of the devs likes this challenge to help me upgrading the calibre plugin to the recent build of OMV3. Later versions should be on my shoulders only.

I can help. The snapraid plugin would probably be a lot of help as well. For testing, I use a separate virtual machine so I don't ruin any other system.

• OK, then lets give it a "go!".
    Calibre seems to bee working on 3.0.12, because you said, that you hadn´t implemented changes to 3.0.13+.
    Release 3.0.13 should be the one, which had impact on the plugin structure.
    My suggestion is, that you tell me the last commit of one of the working plugins, which was made for 3.0.12, so i am able to investigate all changes made since this date and compare the files with the ones of the calibre plugin.
    The most obvious change will be in openmediavault-calibre/debian/control (reference to OMVs version).

btw: i am also not familar with setting up a VM, but i am still here to give some work back to the project :thumbup:

• Offizieller Beitrag

3.0.13 implemented datamodels. If you look at most of the plugins on github, you will see a commit title like "start update to data models". That is the first step in porting the plugins to 3.0.13+

• Many Sources to read now :D
    "engined" and "datamodels" seem to be the big part. "debian" looks easy to change, but both others may a bit tricky for me.
    "minidlna" could be a good point to start from my side, because i could install this plugin to see, which sources have an effect on it. Also i could use a DLNA server for my own use.

I would contact you via pm if i am through all this sources and with an idea of what they mean.
    Is there any public documentation about the datamodel?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would contact you via pm if i am through all this sources and with an idea of what they mean.

I will help as much as I can but the reason I am dropping some plugins is due to lack of time. I will have you added to the developer forum and you can ask questions in there. Sound ok?

Is there any public documentation about the datamodel?

Looking at other plugins was my documentation.

• I will help as much as I can but the reason I am dropping some plugins is due to lack of time. I will have you added to the developer forum and you can ask questions in there. Sound ok?

Sounds great for me and ofc i will take a deep look inside the sources. :thumbup:
    But i will need some time to fix the plugin, because of real life issues there is not as much time as i would like to have ||

• Offizieller Beitrag

But i will need some time to fix the plugin, because of real life issues there is not as much time as i would like to have

I know the feeling. As for how much time it takes, no worries there. I don't use that plugin :D

• why bother, just set it up on the system directly.
    it barely needs any resources and it has it's own UI.

omv 3.0.56 erasmus | 64 bit | 4.7 backport kernel
    SM-SC846(24 bay)| H8DME-2 |2x AMD Opteron Hex Core 2431 @ 2.4Ghz |49GB RAM
    PSU: Silencer 760 Watt ATX Power Supply
    IPMI |3xSAT2-MV8 PCI-X |4 NIC : 2x Realteck + 1 Intel Pro Dual port PCI-e card
    OS on 2×120 SSD in RAID-1 |
    DATA: 3x3T| 4x2T | 2x1T

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!