Calibre Plugin missing in OMV 3.0.30

• Hey,
    i just tried to install Calibre on my OMV 3 System but im getting these errors:

Seems like theres a Problem extracting Files but i dont know for sure. I also dont know enough about Linux to fix that...
    If im not wrong "tar" is an extractor, and "exec" could be the extract command.
    "Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden" means that the file or directory could not be found, but which file or directory is it revering to?

• There was Calibre up to 3.0.13.

I loved Calibre on OMV2 and miss that precious Plugin so bad.
    Too sad, that ryecoaaron stopped supporting it, but I can understand, time is precious and you don't have indefined amount of it.

Calibre is easy to set up manually, but I liked the import functionallity of WebUI and Samba Share, so it was easy for my wife to import her ebooks. She does not want to mess around with linux shell.

Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought.
    It always defeats order, because it is better organized.
    Terry Pratchett

• Offizieller Beitrag

I tried to install it manualy using the Headless installer from the calibre page.

I haven't tried installing calibre manually in a long time. Wouldn't the calibre forum be able to help more? Maybe try the calibre docker with the docker-gui plugin?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I installed calibre from repo, works well when service is started as root. For security reasons I created a calibre user. Starting the service with this user throws up some permission issues for the home directory of this user and for the PID file.

I created the calibre user as system user, with no home dir and without login and password. Group is user

Code
    adduser calibre --system --no-create-home --ingroup users --disabled-password --disabled-login

I used systemd to start service with (/etc/systemd/system/calibre.service with systemctl start calibre.service + systemctl enable calibre.service)

Works well without

Code
    User=calibre
    Group=users

as root.

I tried to move PID to a folder /var/run/calibre with permissions for calibre:users by

But I still have issues with the PID-File. The folder /var/run/calibre exists, but PID-File is not created. I had to set a home dir for user calibre, because .config/calibre has to be placed there.

Edit:
    Are there some future plans to integrate a calibre plugin since version reached Version 3.2? Would be sooo nice to have!

Terry Pratchett

4 Mal editiert, zuletzt von riff-raff ()

• Due to my time constraints, I have reduced the number of plugins that I maintain. calibre is one of the plugins I was not going to maintain.

Dear Rye,
    please, please, please reconsider your decision!! Calibre is the best software in the world to manage ebook libraries and there are no alternatives.
    There are people as me with thousand ebook in their libraries and we cannot upgrade anymore OMV because we have no alternative to the use of Calibre.
    I don't know so well Ubuntu and i need a plugin to use Calibre.
    Please, create a plugin at least for the last OMV version. I love either OMV and Calibre!

Thank you very much

• Offizieller Beitrag

we cannot upgrade anymore OMV because we have no alternative to the use of Calibre.
    I don't know so well Ubuntu and i need a plugin to use Calibre.
    Please, create a plugin at least for the last OMV version.

Unfortunately, I'm not going to port the plugin BUT it shouldn't be hard to get it working in docker (which does have a plugin). Maybe @TechnoDadLife would be interested in adding a video for it to his excellent list of videos - Installation and Setup Videos - Beginning, Intermediate and Advanced

• Offizieller Beitrag

Unfortunately, I'm not going to port the plugin BUT it shouldn't be hard to get it working in docker (which does have a plugin). Maybe @TechnoDadLife would be interested in adding a video for it to his excellent list of videos - Installation and Setup Videos - Beginning, Intermediate and Advanced

The container looks dead simple to set up, there's only about 4-5 options. I've only got about 10 ebooks and never really considered using Calibre, but this might actually be useful. I might try it when I get home tomorrow morning.

• I still use calibre 2.75.1 provided within debian strech repos, it works like a charm. My tutorial posted earlier ist still up to date, so if you prefer a native install, use this one.
    There is no need for a separate plugin with GUI, since book import and conversion can be done with scripts and calibre itself provides a GUI/webstore which is accessible from almost all ebook readers which have a wireless network connection.

Terry Pratchett

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von riff-raff ()

• Unfortunately, I'm not going to port the plugin BUT it shouldn't be hard to get it working in docker (which does have a plugin). Maybe @TechnoDadLife would be interested in adding a video for it to his excellent list of videos - Installation and Setup Videos - Beginning, Intermediate and Advanced

It's number 3 on my list right now. After tomorrow.

I still use calibre 2.75.1 provided within debian strech repos, it works like a charm. My tutorial posted earlier ist still up to date, so if you prefer a native install, use this one.
    There is no need for a separate plugin with GUI, since book import and conversion can be done with scripts and calibre itself provides a GUI/webstore which is accessible from almost all ebook readers which have a wireless network connection.

I'll take a look this too. It might be simpler to do it this way.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I finally got around to setting up the Calibre docker (linuxserver.io)... Extremely simple if you follow the basic path of all their other containers.

I never started messing with Docker until about a month ago... Just never felt the need as other than 1 thing, I had everything running exactly how I wanted. Then just decided to try a docker to see if it solved that "one thing", and it did.

Incredibly simple.

They'll always be my go to now

• Seems a good idea to use a Calibre docker. I have followed these instructions for the technosoft2000/calibre-web version and now I have a Calibre image installed and running!!!
    Now the problem is: how to mount multiple docker instances to map multiple databases on various ports (8083 and 8084 by example)?

I tried these creations but only the first seems to function:

docker create --name=calibre-web --restart=always \
    -v /sharedfolders/LibriEsoterismo:/esoterismo \
    -v /sharedfolders/CalibreDB:/config \
    -e USE_CONFIG_DIR=true \
    -e SET_CONTAINER_TIMEZONE=true \
    -e CONTAINER_TIMEZONE=Europe/Rome \
    -p 8083:8083 \
    technosoft2000/calibre-web

docker create --name=calibre-webInf --restart=always \
    -v /sharedfolders/LibriInformatica:/informatica \
    -v /sharedfolders/LibriInformatica/CalibreDB:/config \
    -e USE_CONFIG_DIR=true \
    -e SET_CONTAINER_TIMEZONE=true \
    -e CONTAINER_TIMEZONE=Europe/Rome \
    -p 8084:8083 \
    technosoft2000/calibre-web

• Offizieller Beitrag

I tried several of the containers just for grins to see if "one was better".. the technosoft one, while it started up, it would not allow me to upload my current collection (I had no database file, as I always just kept my files local, and just backed them up on my NAS). I also tried some of the others available, some worked, some would fail right after starting. Like everything, I guess there's obviously a difference in quality for containers.. The linuxserverio container however, worked no problem at all.

Name ......... Value
    NAME ..........Calibre-web
    PUID ...........(whatever yours is)
    PGID ...........(whatever yours is)

Host...................... Path
    /path/to/Library......./books
    /path/to/config....... /config

and that was it. Started no problem. Created a user that had permissions to do almost everything and I started uploading my books (turned out I had about 50 vs the 10 or so I mentioned. That was really the longest part was uploading all my books and getting their metadata, since I had no database file. Obviously the OP has a db so he'll need to do some importing.

On another note, people always talk about the "portability" of Docker, and since I'm doing a rebuild here in a couple weeks, I figured I'd test it. I fired up a new vbox install, moved my containers and configs of over to my virtual storage, created the appropriate directories under shared files, configured my plugins on which directories to point at again... Less than 5min, everything was just like it is on my iron box.

Like I said earlier, until a few weeks ago, I thought dockers were kind of silly and just ran the services as I wanted them (some behind the scenes, some through the omv webui). Man was I ever wrong. Now I'm finding that docker is probably the way to go if it's available just for it's portability. I'll probably have my new install up 100% in about 5-10min tops (vs a usual 30-45min) after I complete copying all my data to my new storage drives, because of docker. As I said earlier, I'm finding the linuxserverio ones the most consistent in their setup, and I like that... if you know how to set up one, odds are, you can set up almost any of their containers.

I'm sold on them and will use them whenever possible.

• I was just looking at this. I was noticing that there is Calibre and there is Calibre-web. Two different programs.

We started talking about Calibre, which is old fashioned looking but has lots of options.

Calibre-web is modern looking and has few options.

Calibre is much more functional than Calibre-web.

I just wanted to clarify that we are talking about two different programs here.

I still use calibre 2.75.1 provided within debian strech repos, it works like a charm. My tutorial posted earlier ist still up to date, so if you prefer a native install, use this one.

Build, Learn, Create.

How to Videos for OMV

Post any questions to the forum, so others can benefit from your curiosity. :thumbup:
    No private support.

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von TechnoDadLife () aus folgendem Grund: Added colors.

• Offizieller Beitrag

True enough. I like it's interface and after setting up port forwarding, etc.. It provides an easy web interface for a tablet or phone when I want to do some reading.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!