DNS Server options / alternative

• Hello,

I'm trying to validate an idea and I am not entirely sure what the right approach would be for what I want, so would appreciate someone more experience giving some input if possible.

I am looking to setup a DNS server, and the obvious choice for my network would be on the NAS which is running OMV. I reckon there are several ways around this:

- Launching a virtual box for DNS only
    - Launching a docker to use exclusively for DNS (I saw one that uses webmin which seems pretty straightforward)
    - Running the DNS server out of the main system (perhaps via a plugin if there is any?)

My box has two network interfaces, only one is currently in use. I suppose this isn't a problem if I run the DNS out of the main system but if I decide to do it over a virtual machine or a docker I am guessing it would be ideal to give it a unique IP?

Ultimately I am after having a DNS server online that I could configure on my DHCP server so that I am able to effectively use local domain name resolution. I have a mikrotik router that's pretty good also and it is what I currently use but I am limited to basic DNS and can't actually setup zones for advance editing (which I would love to be able to do).

I appreciate any sound advice.

Cheers,
    Jose R. Lopez

• Ha, interesting. Somehow I missed that. I did manage to do what I wanted via docker with a build that had bind setup via webmin and it worked really well but I will check out the plugin too.

Thanks.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!