Guide to install on Deb 8.x Jessie?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did i understood you right (sorry - my English is´nt the best) - installing OMV over LMDE 2 will cause problems because of automount and the multimedia-repos?

Those are two issues you might have that I know of. There are more issues possible.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• May I ask you @ryecoaaron .....
    you told me about the possible problems with automount and the multimedia-repos .... now i can read at the main-page of Openmediavault, "...if somebody needs a 32bit OMV, than install via netinstall Debian x86 and OMV manually via http://forum.openmediavault.or…ll-OMV3-on-Debian-Jessie/

If i read that right than it should be possible to install Linux Mint Debian Edition 2 (LMDE 2) x64 and install OMV 3.x over it without any problems? Because of a recommended instruction here: http://www.openmediavault.org/

That were my prefered system ... LMDE 2 ... and than OMV 3.x over it manually for my NAS / Server.

What do you think about it?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Using the netinstall is not the same as using LMDE 2. When using the netinstall, you should do a minimal installation. LMDE is not the problem. The desktop environment is. So, I still don't like having a desktop environment installed on OMV no matter how you installed. But, if that is what you want, try it.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• ah ... ok .... i did not known that .... i thought that netinstall is the same as a normal distribution.
    I´ld like to install LMDE2 because i read sometimes that it is easier for not so experienced linux users to manage.

• ah ... ok .... i did not known that .... i thought that netinstall is the same as a normal distribution.
    I´ld like to install LMDE2 because i read sometimes that it is easier for not so experienced linux users to manage.

what do you mean by "normal distribution" ?
    it is a normal distribution, just a strip down distribution.
    (that is it's a smallest possible install setup. very small ISO file. easy and fast to download run only bare necessities there. only the installer and basic kernel stuff needed to create a bootable disk.)
    everything else is downloaded during the install.
    think of it like a modular setup.
    you get a smallest possible module (netinstall compilation)
    and than build on it adding only what you want/need, nothing else.
    in some installers you have the option to add other modules to install as part of the initial setup, but those modules are not on ISO, they will be downloaded once the networks is setup and validated.
    and if you do not have internet connection than you can not install them from that image.

most desktop oriented distros have lots of add-ons and third party apps in them, that is why a regular desktop ISO of Linux Mint is about 2.5+ GB or more and netinstall ISOs are usually under 300Mb

it would be if you were setting up a desktop system.
    as it is, OMV expects to be used as basically a headless NAS system.
    what good a desktop environment in a headless system?

most , almost 99.5% of management will be done in WebUI. and the 0.5 that is not would be a CLI scripts and commands anyway so desktop is no help there.

that is why you run OMV, to have a GUI for management on otherwise a bare server.

if anything, I would do a netinstall, than, if you still want a GUI desktop, load up the GUI from Debian repos, LXDE or similar. Mint debian edition is ok but it is not a native UI. I would stay close to home as much as possible.
    HOWEVER, that said, you can really screw up the system, if you try to manage it from both Desktop and OMV.

omv 3.0.56 erasmus | 64 bit | 4.7 backport kernel
    SM-SC846(24 bay)| H8DME-2 |2x AMD Opteron Hex Core 2431 @ 2.4Ghz |49GB RAM
    PSU: Silencer 760 Watt ATX Power Supply
    IPMI |3xSAT2-MV8 PCI-X |4 NIC : 2x Realteck + 1 Intel Pro Dual port PCI-e card
    OS on 2×120 SSD in RAID-1 |
    DATA: 3x3T| 4x2T | 2x1T

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von vl1969 ()

• thank you @vl1969
    I knew that - but you ansers for experienced users - as i said.
    I discribed it in another thread why i would use a full distribution ("normal distro" i say for that .... like LMDE2)

I´ld like to use LMDE2 because of the help and support in German (my mother language). And "linuxmintusers.de" is a very helpfully forum for "normal" users like me.
    I think it will be easier for me to manage. I´m not a experienced Linux user......

• I would not read that thread.

OMV 3.x is ready depending on which plugins you use. If you already have jessie installed, then you just:

Bash
    echo "deb http://packages.openmediavault.org/public erasmus main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list
    apt-get update
    apt-get install openmediavault-keyring postfix
    apt-get update
    apt-get install openmediavault
    omv-initsystem

@ryecoaaron i installed Debian 8 with the partitions I wanted but after running "apt-get update" on the second line of your shell script i got the following error message:

"W: GPG error: http://packages.openmediavault.org erasmus InRelease: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 7E7A6C592EF35D13"

Can you please tell me if this is something I should be concerned about or if it is a sign that I do not have something setup correctly?

Many thanks in advance!

3.0.56 (Erasmus) - OMV Extras 3 (Stable)
    AsRock Rack C72504DI
    64GB Crucial ECC Ram
    8x4TB WD40EFRX
    4X4TB HMS5C4040x
    Crucial 525GB SSD

• Offizieller Beitrag

Can you please tell me if this is something I should be concerned about or if it is a sign that I do not have something setup correctly?

The openmediavault-keyring package that you install with the next line fixes that.

• Hi,

I am trying to install OMV on Debian 8.8 using that commands:

Quellcode
    Quellcode bearbeiten

• echo "deb http://packages.openmediavault.org/public kralizec main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list
    • apt-get update
    • apt-get install openmediavault-keyring postfix
    • apt-get update
    • apt-get install openmediavault
    • omv-initsystem

The commands works until step 5, here I get following error:

How can I fix that problems and install OMV?

• Hi, I've botched an Upgrade from 2 to 3, and trying to get it working I started removing packages...now I've removed OpenMediaVault entirely.

I've been upgraded to Jessie, but reinstalling OMV Erasmus isn't wokring using this guide, I get "Failed to fetch... " errors? I don't want to do a clean install just yet, can I still try to proceed somehow? Cheers

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!