Guide to install on Deb 8.x Jessie?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would not read that thread.

OMV 3.x is ready depending on which plugins you use. If you already have jessie installed, then you just:

Bash
    echo "deb http://packages.openmediavault.org/public erasmus main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list
    apt-get update
    apt-get install openmediavault-keyring postfix
    apt-get update
    apt-get install openmediavault
    omv-initsystem

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Gents,
    after the first command:

Code
    echo "deb http://packages.openmediavault.org/public erasmus main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list

I got a 'Permission denied' even on sudo and I had to use the 'hard' way - I wonder why...:

Code
    sudo su -c "echo 'deb http://packages.openmediavault.org/public erasmus main' > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list"

just to mention in case other have the trouble.

Best

! Started hacking with ZX81 and I am getting younger everyday like Master Yoda ! ! Raspi is to young generation what ZX81 was to mine ! ! I just love Raspi! Triple bang for the Raspi Foundation ! !And thank you guys for OMV !

• Offizieller Beitrag

I execute those commands as root. That is why there is no sudo in the commands.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• I would not read that thread.

OMV 3.x is ready depending on which plugins you use. If you already have jessie installed, then you just:

Running OMV 3.0.32 (Erasmus) with default kernel (Linux 3.16.0.4-0-amd64),
    with omvextrasorg 3.3.10 from a 32GB Sata-DOM on a Thecus N5550:
    Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU D2550 @ 1.86GHz // 2 x 2GB DDR3 1333 // 4 x WD Red NAS Hard Drive 3 TB

• Offizieller Beitrag

The instructions I posted work. There is no need to download the key since the openmediavault-keyring package installs it. Yes, you get a warning but it is not a problem. I wouldn't follow the experimental thread because it was failed attempt to install OMV 2.x on Debian Jessie.

• I would not read that thread.

Bash
    apt-get update
    apt-get install openmediavault-keyring postfix
    apt-get update
    omv-initsystem

Do you by any change know these plugins work on jessie? :
    SMB/CIFS
    SSH
    Owncoud/NextCloud
    Plex
    Openvpn
    FTP
    transmission

• Offizieller Beitrag

owncloud plugin has been dead for a long time. Everything is fine.

• Offizieller Beitrag

will thi overwrite my existing setting of raid samaba etc.. or it will read configs and keep them

Raid? no
    Samba? yes

OMV completely controls the config files for the services it manages. That said, you should be able to duplicate the config files with settings in the web interface.

• Hi, I've been running OMV 2 for a few months now and wanted to try my hand at installing OMV 3. Warning! Linux newb alert. Laugh if you must.

First laugh-inducing point: I'm a Windows guy, so I installed Jessie + LXDE. I know, it's a server, but I can't help it, I likes my GUI. LXDE seemed pretty light as things go.

Here is the step-by step, done on VirtualBox first, then on bare metal on my little server box in the basement.

As root:

Code
    apt-get install lightdm
    reboot

The reboot was to verify X was working OK. LightDM came up just fine.

Code
    apt-get install lxde-core
    apt-get update

Here, I got an error.
    W: GPG-Error: http://packages.openmediavault.org erasmus InRelease: The following signatures could not be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 7E7A6C592EF35D13
    To fix it, I did this:

Code
    wget http://packages.openmediavault.org/public/archive.key
    apt-key add archive.key
    apt-get update

Next, I was ready to start installing OMV.

Code
    apt-get install openmediavault-keyring
    apt-get install postfix

This brought up a Postfix Configuration screen. After reading the screen I tabbed to OK and hit Enter, then selected No Configuration and pressed Enter.

Code
    apt-get update

This brought up a Configuring mdadm screen. I tabbed to OK and hit Enter, then typed "none" (without quotes) and pressed Enter.
    At the ProFTPD configuration screen, I selected "from inetd" and pressed Enter.
    At the Configuration openmediavault screen, I pressed Enter.

Code
    omv-initsystem
    reboot

After the reboot, I logged in again as root.

Code
    omv-firstaid

This let me go through the Network configuration steps. I did one more reboot here to double-check the system would come up properly.
    The final step after logging in as a non-root user was to start a terminal window.

Code
    sudo ifconfig eth0

...where I looked for the line starting with inet addr: to find out what IP address I would go to in order to log into the OMV web interface.

Hope this can help someone else a little!

• Gents,
    after the first command:

Code

... rvf goes on to mention that putting sudo in front does not make this work for writing into a system file.

hi rvf

You have fallen into a common trap created by the way bash works. This is not an OMV error but a Unix shell error, going all the way back to the original Unix versions.

This is what is going on. Bash, like all Unix shells, processes the redirect BEFORE it sets up the pipe. That means that at the time the connection to the file is made, sudo has not started to be effective. Confusing- yes. But it would be even more confusing to change bash now, because so many other things would break.

So what we need is a program that writes to a file from its own command line, without using > or >>

A good choice here is tee. This is what your command would look like

Code
    echo "deb http://packages.openmediavault.org/public erasmus main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list

Note three things.

The echo does not have to be sudo-ed, it is allowed to write into the pipe.

tee does have to be sudoed, as it is writing into a system file.

The above code replaces thje existing file, if any, just like yours would have done if you were root.

If you want to append, as I often do when appending one more host to my hosts file, use tee -a like this:

Code
    echo "10.0.12.25 heavenly-host" | sudo tee -a /etc/hosts

tee copies the input to the output as well as to the designated file, so you get your own text reflected back on the screen. I find that useful, but if you do not like that, you can always add >/dev/null at the end of the line.

Hope that is useful, to rfv and to others who find this error message puzzling.

River~~

• actually, as a Linux fan boy since last century, I hope none of us is laughing. We take our GUI as seriously as Windows. If anything more so, look at the dissension caused by the end-of-life of the X server.

And yes, LXDE is exactly the desktop I would have gone for too, starting from a Jessie cli install, for the reason you say.

Finally thanks VERY MUCH for posting this code. As a fellow GUI-lover, I am looking at installing OMV on LinuxMint -- obviously it won't go well on the best known editions of MInt, as they are based on Ubuntu.

I am looking at LMDE - LinuxMInt Debian Edition. Version 2, Betsy, is based on Jessie - and I will be following your tips in installing OMV. And if anyone is laughing at us then they are just showing themselves up, IMHO.

I will post back here to let you know how that went.

all the best for this festive season
    R~~

• Offizieller Beitrag

I am looking at installing OMV on LinuxMint

I am looking at LMDE - LinuxMInt Debian Edition. Version 2, Betsy, is based on Jessie

I would avoid using this since it has the deb-multimedia repos enabled which have been a problem for quite a few plugins in the past.

If you really want a desktop, install the remotedeskop plugin and remote into the box. Then you won't have the full desktop stack running all the time which also has caused problems with OMV (i.e. automounting drives is bad for OMV).

• @andremadar

in view of this new advice, I won't after all be posting reports on installing OMV on top of LMDE.

@ryecoaaron

thanks for the heads up -- you could be saving me a lot of frustration here.

I am guessing that the problem is with the automounter, not with X running on the box. I can imagine, for example, the Mint DE grabbing a new raid array as soon as it is formatted, preventing OV from having the sole rw access it wants.

I also note that LMDE comes with Samba running out of the box, and can imagine when LMDE is updated there might be issues with conflicting changes to the Samba config. Clearly OMV wants sole authority to tweak the config of all the services it offers.

I am still keen to have GUI on the box itself. As a minimum I would like to be able to use the standard OMV interface from the box itself as well as over the LAN. I have tried it in lynx and (as so often happens) that would get you out of a fix but it is not a pleasant experience.

I am now wondering about how best to have a local a GUI without all the media friendly MInt stuff. Would a build like andremadar's be safer? Starting from Debian command line only, adding LXDE but not the whole multimedia stack?

As regards resources (memory, CPU) it should be easy enough to disable the auto start of X, letting the user type startx when they feel the need for a GUI.

Cheers for now, hope your Dec25 is going well for you

R~~

• Offizieller Beitrag

Would a build like andremadar's be safer? Starting from Debian command line only, adding LXDE but not the whole multimedia stack?

Try it. I haven't done any testing with installing a gui in a long time. The automount was one thing but I remember other strange issues that we could only attribute to the gui being installed. Maybe it is different now.

• Try it. I haven't done any testing with installing a gui in a long time. The automount was one thing but I remember other strange issues that we could only attribute to the gui being installed. Maybe it is different now.

If you remember bad things in the past, I think my plan is going to be

1. install OMV 3.0.36 from iso
    2. update using apt so I am on the latest
    3. get the things I want to do working without a local gui
    4. backup a working version
    5. see what happens if I use apt to add LXDE
    6. rollback, or not, depending on how that goes

• Offizieller Beitrag

Good plan.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!