TV Tuner Card/USB

• So with my OMV setup, I run Plex and tvheadend...or trying to. What is the easiest tuner card to get working with OMV? USB, PCI, etc? I don't want to waste time/money trying to get some temperamental tuner working.

TIA

• based on all my research I would suggest a HomeRun network tuner by SiliconeDust.
    #1 it is supported by both Linux and Windows. in-fact it has a great Linux support and is a recommended tuner to use with TVHeadend and MythTV.

#2 as it is a network tuner it is separate box and architecture independent.
    #3 you can use several of them if needed and is totally up to you how and where you use them.
    you can have one box serving your download server and another your HTPC, that is if you want/need to 2 cable cards for them. or you can have one box with cable card serving your server and htpc and anuather as OTA only hot HTPC

omv 3.0.56 erasmus | 64 bit | 4.7 backport kernel
    SM-SC846(24 bay)| H8DME-2 |2x AMD Opteron Hex Core 2431 @ 2.4Ghz |49GB RAM
    PSU: Silencer 760 Watt ATX Power Supply
    IPMI |3xSAT2-MV8 PCI-X |4 NIC : 2x Realteck + 1 Intel Pro Dual port PCI-e card
    OS on 2×120 SSD in RAID-1 |
    DATA: 3x3T| 4x2T | 2x1T

• I wondered about that. So I notice the HDHomerun has two inputs. Does that mean I can split my incoming feed into two tuners for record/watch simultaneous, or can I use them for two separate antenna feeds for more channels?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I agree with the hdhomerun suggestion. I have two of them and they work great.

They have one antenna input and two tuners. So, you can record/watch two channels simultaneously.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.11 | compose 7.1.3 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• which model are you talking about?
    I only see 2 inputs on HDhomerun-US and only this model,
    the rest of them have single input.
    I guess you can have this model to use with both an Antennae and un-encrypted network channels
    but if you want to watch and record cable or other channels you need a model with cablecard slot.
    a tuner with cablecard would almost replace your providers set-top box(FYI: tuner with cablecard does not provide ALL functionality that providers box does. i.e. you can not order pay-per-view channels and other services. also make sure to ask for cablecard type-M from your provider. Type-S will not work for you.)

• That is the one I am talking about. I am only interested in OTA, not cable. I went ahead and ordered it, so we'll see in a couple of days if it works how I envision it working.

Thanks for the assist guys!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have an Extend and an old Dual HD. The extend is very nice since it can do transcoding.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.11 | compose 7.1.3 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Not sure what you use as the front end, but I am using Plex. Curious to see how the playback works on my Samsung Smart Hub TV. I've also got a RasPi that I am going to test as well to see how the performance is on that box. I have a couple Roku boxes, but haven't really liked their performance much.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I use the hdhomerun app on kodi (on amazon firetv) which is written by silicondust themselves. It is very good. With the extend, you can use any DLNA client though. So, on iOS devices, I use nplayer or airplayer.

• Nice! It will be nice to cut my $135/mo Directv bill out of the budget! 600 friggin channels and nothing to watch! Tired of reality TV. Rather watch how-to, DIY, science, nature and movies instead. Everything else I can get OTA.

• what do you use for internet provider?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I got rid of satellite about six years ago. Watch OTA and amazon prime along with dvd collection on server. Have Charter 60mbps for internet.

• I do not use satellite. I have Optimum or FIOS in my area and I use Optimummostly.
    couple of years back I switched to FIOS but didn't see much difference for me so when I got a good deal I got back to Optimum.

since a triple service package is more economical I use it. I need internet and phone anyway :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!