How to upgrade NAS OS Hard Drive to an SSD

• Hello guys,

I would like to upgrade NAS OS (OMV 2.2.5) hard drive to an SSD. I don`t want to install OMV again. Could you please tell me how to clone/copy everything (configuration etc.) from old OS hard drive to the new SSD?

Best Regards.

OMV - 6.3.1-1 (Shaitan)
    Kernel - Linux 5.16.0-0.bpo.4-amd64

CPU i5-3570
    RAM 8GB
    HDD OS - WB BLUE 250GB
    HDD 2x Samsung EcoGreen F2 HD154UI 1500 GB (mirror) (max drive speed 107 MB/s)

• Hey Stylish!
    The best way to do it is using Clonezilla. You can install it using the backup plugin or download a live DVD or USB from its webpage.

What I did when I upgraded to an SSD (or because I'm paranoid and I do an image everytime I change some configs) is doing an image to a Data drive and then restoring.

Quite simple. If you need more details, you're welcome.

Guillem

DISCLAIMER: :!: I'm not a native English speaker, I'm sorry if I don't explain as good as you would want. :!:

My NAS:
    Always the latest OMV Erasmus running on an AMD Sempron 3850 @1.3GHz with 4.9.0 Backports Kernel
    with 120GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO for OpenMediaVault & 2x500GB Primary Data HDD + 1TB Secondary HDD for Backup & 2TB USB 3.0 External HDD for offline backup

Plugin list:
    Flash Memory, Locate, OMV-Extras.org, RSnapshot, Sensors, Syncthing, SMB/CIFS, SSH, USB Backup
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Zitat

The Schrödinger's code is that one which is going to work and it's full of bugs at the same time; until you test it, you won't be able to determine it.

• Quite simple. If you need more details, you're welcome.

Guillem

Hello gsola96,

Could you please tell me something more about this plugin? Do you have any of tutorial or manual?

OMV - 6.3.1-1 (Shaitan)

CPU i5-3570
    RAM 8GB
    HDD OS - WB BLUE 250GB

• I think I replied to a thread some time ago explaining how to use it.
    First you have to install the Backup plugin and then, from the plugin you have to install Clonezilla and then, after installation, choose Clonezilla to boot into it.
    After that, you have to log into the Clonezilla system (via SSH or directly with a monitor and keyboard) and going through the process of doing an image of your system drive which will be saved on a data drive of your choice.

After that, you can swap OMV 's HDD with the new SSD and then you have two options:
    1. boot Clonezilla Live from a DVD or USB drive
    2. install OMV from scratch, install backup plugin, install Clonezilla and boot Clonezilla using the plugin

And then restoring the image from the data drive to the SSD, either via SSH or locally on the computer.

EDIT: Here is the thread i was talking about on how to use Clonezilla. (Not a guide, not a manual, only explaining to another user how I backup my system drive)

Hope it helps!
    Guillem

DISCLAIMER: :!: I'm not a native English speaker, I'm sorry if I don't explain as good as you would want. :!:

My NAS:
    Always the latest OMV Erasmus running on an AMD Sempron 3850 @1.3GHz with 4.9.0 Backports Kernel
    with 120GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO for OpenMediaVault & 2x500GB Primary Data HDD + 1TB Secondary HDD for Backup & 2TB USB 3.0 External HDD for offline backup

Plugin list:
    Flash Memory, Locate, OMV-Extras.org, RSnapshot, Sensors, Syncthing, SMB/CIFS, SSH, USB Backup
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Zitat

The Schrödinger's code is that one which is going to work and it's full of bugs at the same time; until you test it, you won't be able to determine it.

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Lord Wektabyte () aus folgendem Grund: I did some research and found the thread where I explain how to use Clonezilla

• After that, you can swap OMV 's HDD with the new SSD and then you have two options:1. boot Clonezilla Live from a DVD or USB drive
    2. install OMV from scratch, install backup plugin, install Clonezilla and boot Clonezilla using the plugin

Destination disk is to small, what now? Can you help me.

OMV - 6.3.1-1 (Shaitan)

CPU i5-3570
    RAM 8GB
    HDD OS - WB BLUE 250GB

• You should have resized your OS partition on the original HDD to fit into the 128GB new SSD.
    I did not mind about that before.

My NAS:

Plugin list:

Zitat

• Easiest way is to download the last free version of PartedMagic-ISO, "burn" it on a thumbdrive, and boot the box from it. Then you can shrink the partition(s) on your current bootdrive with GParted and use Clonezilla to clone it on your ssd with the same live system.

BR
    Jan

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!