OMV on Proxmox

• Hi,

I'm thinking about migrating from OMV-Baremetal + Virtualbox Plugin going to Proxmox and OMV and some other VMs virtualized.

I would like to passtrough the HDDs to OMV.

I have some questions:

- Can I install VMs only on the HDD where Proxmox is installed? Or can I insert for other VMs (Win 7, Ubuntu Server) other SSDs?
    - Is device Deepsleep of CPU and HDD supported?
    - is the CPU-Power fully passtroughed?
    - is Turbocore supported?
    - is Powertop supported?
    - can i read the CPU-temperature and SMART-Values?
    - can I install other drivers on Proxmox (for example the radeon driver for better powerconsumption?)
    - can I make a "clone" of a VM with Proxmox for Backup or does it support "snapshots"?
    - If a VM has a CPU-Load of 0%, does the Proxmox Server has 0% as well? Because Win 7 causes 20% and another OMV as VM causes 5% of Host-CPUload under Virtualbox-Plugin while doing nothing.
    - If my Server has for example 20GB Ram --> Can I give OMV for example 16GB and another VM 8GB, because OMV is using most of the Ram only for caching?
    - here* I read that Proxmox causes a slow writespeed using RAID1. I would like to use Mergerfs with direct_io and Snapraid. Will this work fast as baremetal?
    - If I boot the Proxmox-Server, can I set which VM boots automatically?

* https://www.reddit.com/r/homel…wtwy/proxmox_omv_homelab/

thanks!

• Offizieller Beitrag

That is a lot of questions...

- You can add lots of drives to proxmox and put VMs on any of them. When adding storage to Proxmox, you designate what goes on the drive.
    - Deepsleep? No idea
    - Don't know what CPU-Power is.
    - Proxmox uses the 4.4 kernel so maybe?
    - Maybe?
    - Read the CPU temperature from where? Proxmox runs on normal Debian Jessie with a custom kernel. So, you can definitely read it from the host.
    - If you can on Debian Jessie then you can on Proxmox.
    - Proxmox supports cloning, snapshots, backups, and templates. So, yes.
    - I answered this to you before. If the VM isn't doing anything, there will be no load on the server.
    - Yes, you can over-allocate memory. Things will get slow if the VMs are truly using more memory than the server has though.
    - How does slow Raid 1 have anything to do with mergerfs? raid 1 and mergerfs are cpu-intensive. If you have a slow CPU, they might be slower. I have never noticed any slowness.
    - Yes, you can pick which VMs start at boot. They default to not starting at boot.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I assume you mean in the Proxmox web interface? Use the defaults (bridged mode) except I change the model to virtio. Configuring the adapter in the OMV web interface is the same as any other system.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

What won't work with the Proxmox ISO? Networking?

Are you talking about the host networking (proxmox itself) or guest networking (OMV VM)?

• first off all you need to figure out why ISO is not working.
    I only had to install Proxmox within Debian install when I wanted a full BTRFS support and it was not supported in stable release.
    if ISO is not working download new ISO and make sure checksum is validated.

now even if you do install within Debian, it still the same. here is the wiki
    it has everything you need.
    but to summarize,
    #1 install Debian and configure all basic setup including network (ie, your Debian install should be able to connect to internet)
    a. Proxmox prefered install on LVM so if you do the setup on Debian you will need to do a Debian install on LVM
    (personally I do not like LVM but you have to play by their rules )
    #2 follow the WiKi to setup hosts entry etc.

#3 do the Proxmox install
    #4 once you have Proxmox setup and tuning all further configs can/should be done via webUI
    log on yo the UI and select network. (as per wiki add bridge interface to your ethX nic) bridge is basically another name for a type of virtual switch
    you can, if wish so, install the third party virtual switch module (OpenSwitch or vSwitch ) that was available for Proxmox last time I play with it, but I would use the KISS principal here and use defaults.

here is the Proxmox HoTo wiki

#5 once you have all that done, add the data store to the setup (this is the place where all your VM staff will go)
    #6 when creating the VM simply point the VM network interface to use the bridge interface selecting the card type as either an intel nick or VIRTIO

PS>> I would however advise to try and use ISO for your install, it solves a lot of issues that you might need to overcome with a none standard install.

PPS>> Frankly, if you NEED to pass-through anything to OMV I would use OMV as base and run all in virtualbox instead.
    what is your concerns or issues with running virtualbox in omv ?

ALSO there is guide somewhere on this forum to setup KVM and webmanager on OMV that might do the trick for you.

omv 3.0.56 erasmus | 64 bit | 4.7 backport kernel
    SM-SC846(24 bay)| H8DME-2 |2x AMD Opteron Hex Core 2431 @ 2.4Ghz |49GB RAM
    PSU: Silencer 760 Watt ATX Power Supply
    IPMI |3xSAT2-MV8 PCI-X |4 NIC : 2x Realteck + 1 Intel Pro Dual port PCI-e card
    OS on 2×120 SSD in RAID-1 |
    DATA: 3x3T| 4x2T | 2x1T

• The Iso wont work by CD or USB. Dont know why.
    Proxmox is running on the Debian-Server, but I don't know what I should insert in eth0 and vbr0. What is the Gateway? Which IP? Which Subnet? What should I insert where?

For example:
    My Router (DHCP-Server) has the IP 192.168.0.1
    The Debian has 192.168.0.106
    And I want the OMV to be 192.168.0.111

What do I have to do? I read alot, but 5 Pages says 4 different things. And none of them worked, because they were using Proxmox 3 and I got 4.2 and they changed a bit.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The ISO won't boot? Still don't know what you mean by won't work.

Proxmox requires a bridge to be setup. If you install on top of Debian, you have to do this manually.

Here is my /etc/network/interfaces files

# cat /etc/network/interfaces

You might have to change the bridge_ports to eth0 if you have one NIC.

• you are mixing several issues here.

by "the Iso wont work by CD or USB. Dont know why." do you mean you created the CD or USB using ISO or you simply copy/burn the ISO file onto CD/USB
    no offence meant by my assumption but do you know how to create a bootable CD/USB drives using ISO file?
    I have come upon many people who ,even though very fluent in tech, never did that before and did not know how to do it properly.
    in fact just last year I was asked to help some one with 10 years tech experience with windows.
    I came to his house and looked dumbfounded on a stack of 15!!! CDs on his desk that he said he created while trying to install LinuxMint on his old PC
    Guess what, he simply burned ISO file to CD as is. it was a good 15 disk of backup, none of them good for anything.
    he looked surprised when I show him what was wrong and why.

now.
    So did you have a working Proxmox setup on Debian already ?
    Can it (your Debian server and thus Proxmox) access the internet?
    if answer is yes than you are half way there.
    in Proxmox networking tab you should see the eth0 interface with IP and all other info.
    your subnet based on the IP of your router is "255.255.255.0" or using CIDR notation "/24"
    this is a standard values and simply mean that you can have 253 clients on your network
    or speacking in IP range lingo your ip range is "192.168.0.0" - " "192.168.0.254" where

since your debian box has IP 192.168.0.106 than your proxmox is the same.
    and if you setup the bridge on the interface than the bridge will have that "192.168.0.106" IP
    now when you create the VM for OMV you do not put anything in the VM config itself. think of it as real hardware, when you build PC out of components you do not assign anything to it until OS is installed.
    uppload the OMV ISO intio Proxmox image datastore (read up on how to do this in WiKi)
    once you create the VM add the OMV ISO image as OS install immage, and boot into it with OMV ISO
    during install you will be asked if you want to use DHCP or static setup and if you choose static you will enter the IP "192.168.0.111" SubNet in your case "255.255.255.0" and Gateway which is your router " 192.168.0.1"

• I used LiLi USB-Creator as the 100 times before. And the Iso is burned correctly, trust me ;)

Zitat

now.
    So did you have a working Proxmox setup on Debian already ?

yes

Zitat

Can it (your Debian server and thus Proxmox) access the internet?

yes

You don't understand what the porblem is.
    Take a look at my screenshot.
    Before installing a VM I have to fill this and before I can fill it, I have to create a vbr0. And what do I have to do to create this?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did you see my post? I showed you the exact file you need to change to create the bridge. You just need to change the IPs and the possibly the network adapter.

• you're right, i dind't see it. I cinfigured it by:

Code
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback
    auto vmbr0
    iface vmbr0 inet static
            address 192.168.0.106
            netmask 255.255.255.0
            gateway 192.168.0.1
            bridge_ports eth0
            bridge_stp off
            bridge_fd 0

and OMV got by itself the IP 192.168.0.111 but I cannot access the Webgui?

edit: wait, now it works :thumbup:

• ok, ryecoaaron is correct, he did show the file you need to change.
    you can also do that with in proxmox UI

but to do it fast simply login to your Debian via SSH
    fire up your text editor. I preferre nano but you can use vi or what ever
    and change your /etc/network/interfaces file to look like this.
    I used your IPs and everything.

FYI: if you have more than one NIC on your server you can bridge any one of them to use for VM.
    as long as all of them have access to all networks you need them to.
    you can have a bridge that is only used internally (no internet access) etc.

here we are bridging the main interface (eth0) we will use it for everything, the management and internet access.
    make sure

right now your file should look something like this

note: eth0 is set to static (all info is manually added no DHCP)
    if you use DHCP than line 4 would be "iface eth0 inet dhcp" and there would be no lines 5-7 as they are not needed

Code
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet static
        address 192.168.0.106
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        gateway 192.168.0.1

after edit it should look like :

!!! not sure why by some empty lines have been removed from the code you should have empty lines between sections
    like there should be empty lines after line 2 and line 3.

restart the server and in proxmox ui you should have a new bridge connection that should show in the drop down box.

the OMV ip and subnet will be entered after you install it in VM. they are not managed from proxmox.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Not sure. I don't use write back cache.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Might increase the data rate. I'm using ssds in my system (hard drives are passed through) so I don't need any changes.

Last time I tried (a couple of months ago), proxmox and OMV 3.x had a couple of conflicts. So, you can't install both. Even if you could, I wouldn't do this on a production system.

• if you want to run KVM or use pass-through you need IOMMU

other than that you should be fine as is. even AMD-V should be ok for KVM, only pass-through requires it to work.

you can not run Proxmox alongside OMV. it loads a lot of custom things with it.

but why would you?
    what are you hardware stats ?

what is your target goal, ie. what do you want to end up with ideally?

you really sound like me. I have been trying to build a perfect home server for the last year and a half.

• Offizieller Beitrag

With OMV 2.x and Proxmox 3.x, they work on the same server but you have to be careful of changing configurations that both can change. With OMV 3.x and proxmox 4.x, I think there is only two packages that conflict. The proxmox 4.4.6 kernel works fine with OMV.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!