physical HDDs not aviable

• Hello to the OMV community!

At first... this is my first project with OMV... so maybe thats the reason that my questions are a litte bit more stupid than the other :D
    My OMV runs on a DELL PowerEdge FS12-NV7. The Controller is a 3ware 9650SE-12ML.

1 RAID 1 array with two 1TB SATA
    The other 6x 8TB Seagate Archive HDDs are not configured in a array by the controler. I will try to use the software raid.

But my problem is... i can not see the 6x 8TB HDDs... they are aviable in the controller-BIOS, but not for OMV....

Where is the missing link? What have i forgot?!

P.S. The physical configuration is strange. Where are the terminals 4 to 7?!. I know that.
    I can not use the middle connector on the controller as use for backplane connector with 90-degree rotation and the central covering by a cable.

OMV 5.x / HP DL360 gen8 , 2x HP Storrage Array 3.5" with 36x 8TB Seagate Archive RAID 6

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von frauhansen ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

Install the backports kernel. There is a button to install it in omv-extras Kernel tab.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• 8o

Just for a test.... i create a poor raid 0 out of the 6x 8TB HDDs.... and what is the resault?

Can not beleve it!

ryecoaaron schrieb:
    Install the backports kernel. There is a button to install it in omv-extras Kernel tab.

Will try this right now...
    [/quote]

OMV 5.x / HP DL360 gen8 , 2x HP Storrage Array 3.5" with 36x 8TB Seagate Archive RAID 6

• Offizieller Beitrag

Are you sure that raid card supports 8tb drives? Maybe it needs a bios update?

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes it is.... Outage: omv-extras

I assumed you already had omv-extras installed.

• A quick google reveals that your controller does not support drives over two TB.

Sent from my phone

omv 3.0.56 erasmus | 64 bit | 4.7 backport kernel
    SM-SC846(24 bay)| H8DME-2 |2x AMD Opteron Hex Core 2431 @ 2.4Ghz |49GB RAM
    PSU: Silencer 760 Watt ATX Power Supply
    IPMI |3xSAT2-MV8 PCI-X |4 NIC : 2x Realteck + 1 Intel Pro Dual port PCI-e card
    OS on 2×120 SSD in RAID-1 |
    DATA: 3x3T| 4x2T | 2x1T

• But of course he does!
    The problem is now solved.
    And ... every single HDD must be individually set up as a singe-drive and with manual specifying the size. In addition to the controller-policys the "Export JBOD" flag must be set.

• But of course he does!
    The problem is now solved.
    And ... every single HDD must be individually set up as a singe-drive and with manual specifying the size. In addition to the controller-policys the "Export JBOD" flag must be set.

unfortunately no,
    this controller is just too old and does not support disk over 2 Tb properly, hence they do not show up in the UI.
    it finds the drives in the BIOS, and give a very good estimation of the size based on what drive report but it can not properly work with them.
    setting up raid 0 simply allowed the controller to perform an auto-carving algorithm splitting up the drives into chunks(partitions) that controller could recognize and work with.
    I wouldn't run the system like that ever.
    even if you can go into bios and disable the auto-carving feature, the biggest drives it might work with (based on everything I have found on google so far) would be 3Tb, 4TB at most and it still needs to split the drives into partition. anything else past that is a game of "Russian roulette" with your data.

all information I have found on this controller suggests that

A. it should never be used with drives over 2TB, even if you can make it to recognize.
    B. it is not a true HBA controller and hence should never be used in any NAS system that needs a true JBOD mode.

I can be wrong, but this is what I have found so far for that specific model.
    since it is not mine device and hence not mine issue I will not dive into it to deep but will make a suggestion to do the "do diligence" and google the info yourself as thoroughly as possible and make a decision on what to do next.

omv 3.0.56 erasmus | 64 bit | 4.7 backport kernel
    SM-SC846(24 bay)| H8DME-2 |2x AMD Opteron Hex Core 2431 @ 2.4Ghz |49GB RAM
    PSU: Silencer 760 Watt ATX Power Supply
    IPMI |3xSAT2-MV8 PCI-X |4 NIC : 2x Realteck + 1 Intel Pro Dual port PCI-e card
    OS on 2×120 SSD in RAID-1 |
    DATA: 3x3T| 4x2T | 2x1T

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!