My new thin client NAS

• I have built a new NAS for myself, before I used a HP T5740 as NAS which was incredible fast and stable. Only after some time, the OS disk was to small. It was the original onboard 2gb. I had some issues sometimes due to almost full drive.
    I am a thin client enthusiast, they are 100% silent and uses less power. Sometimes easy to get them very cheap with some luck.

I'm uning nowadays the HP T610 for NAS purposes. It is a larger model thin client and gives more possibilities than the T5740. The model I am using had originally 2GB ram onboard and a 16gb DOM hdd.

Inside there are 2 sata ports, ide 44 pin, and a mini-pcie port (for wireless network card), outside there are different usb ports 2.0 and 3.0 ports, gigbit network port, displayport, dvi, and so on. The graphics are radeon hd6250 and processor AMD T56N dual core. Very good for Kodi also plays full hd movies fine. Been there done that, now its NAS time.

Bought in China some IDE to MSATA converter cards and 44 pin flat cables, I just had lying a 16gb msata card, so I decided that would be the OS disk.
    The WD Red is from my T5740 NAS and put it in the T610, with a plastic piece to hold it in place.

The write speeds are incredible, I have a HP 450 G2 laptop with an SSD, writing to the NAS about 80 MB/s and copy from NAS to laptop 70 MB/s. This is with gigabit network card cabled.

It is idling some more power than the T5740, around 20-25 watts, I have to monitor it sometime. For backup I using a 1.5tb usb external drive, and doing backups with it, and rsync copy to a NAS on my work.

The funniest thing about it, you can open the case without screwdriver. The memory slots (2x) are on the back site of the board.
    So its possible to connect 3 hard drives in total, but I dont think there will fit 3 hard drives in it. with two 2.5 inch ones, its pretty full because then you have to use cables. Or put the drives outside.
    Maybe I will do that in the future, make me a bracket and put 2 larger disks outside it. but I still dont need it by now.

---------------------------------------------
    My HP T610 thin client NAS
    My Thin Client single drive NAS build
    -----------------------------------------------------
    I'm from the Netherlands, excuse me for bad english
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von DaWauZ ()

• Now with pictures @ the talking

• Hey, I considered buying one of these things from a local auction site for around $30. It seems like a good buy considering it's the 'PLUS' model with the PCI-E 4x slot.
    However, I already have a fanless NAS (Atom D2500, 4GB DDR3, 6 SATA2 drives) built into an ITX case, and I considered using this thing as a HTPC or just as a low end system with a 500GB Samsung drive I have about to go into my NAS.

Are they good?

• Yes as kodi openelec runs smooth. Even with W7 or 10 on a ssd runs good.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn XT1562 met Tapatalk

• Interesting solution! I just found this little Thin Clients on Ebay, and was playing with the idea to use one as HTPC. Does it has issues with Full HD video decoding? The integrated Radeon HD 6320 should be enough, but I have my doubts.

Custom mini-ITX build
    Coolcube Mini, Intel Desktop Board DQ77KB, Intel Core i7-3770S, 8 GB DDR3 Ram, 64 GB Trascend mSata SSD (OS), X3 1TB HDD pooled + parity

Dell Optiplex 960 sff (deprecated) - link

Dell Optiplex FX160 (repurposed) - link

"If you can't find it in Google, it simply doesn't exist!" - The Internetz

• I have built a new NAS for myself, before I used a HP T5740 as NAS which was incredible fast and stable. Only after some time, the OS disk was to small. It was the original onboard 2gb. I had some issues sometimes due to almost full drive.

I fixed this. See my thread. Using a 32GB SSD now.
    Have been thinking to replace my 7540 like you did. But 2,5W vs 19W TDP just made me optimize the 5740 8o

Groeten van Duitsland :thumbup:

--
    Get a Rose Tattoo...

HP t5740 with Expansion and USB3, Inateck Case w/ 3TB WD-Green
    OMV 5.5.23-1 Usul i386|4.19.0-9-686-pae

• Hi!
    Thanks for information guys.
    Could somebody help to me?

Can I use
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-…r-Card-AC696/172577654618
    same on Amazon
    https://www.amazon.com/XCSOURC…erter-AC696/dp/B06XRG2TGV
    for add two more HDD/SDD to my HP t610/FreeNAS system?

Now my NAS has already
    1TB for data (onboard SATA)
    16GB for system (onboard SATA),
    4GB for jail (for ability completely switch off HDD during idle...) (onboard IDE).

My HP t610 without "PLUS" and I don't have chance to add riser with PCI-to-SATA card.
    And it's the reason why
    I would like to take off WiFi mPCIe module and install converter like this (links above) instead.
    Of course with external power for HDD/SDD...

But I'm confused of this:
    "Note: this item applied to standard mini PCI-E slot, don't suitable for mSATA/wireless card/PCI-E/PCI slot."

And my general question now it's -
    Does HP t610 thin client have STANDART mini PCI-E slot?

Thank you for your advice and opinion.

• Well it is a time ago I tried a m2 ssd to the WiFi slot but it did not work. I guess there is no storage controller behind the slot.
    I really don't think it's gonna work.
    Maybe the best solution is to try usb 3.0 discs.

What is that jail exactly?

I am using now an ide Dom for omv itself, and 2 sata discs as storage. One disc somehow outside.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn XT1562 met Tapatalk

• Could some one delete them?

You can delete it by yourself, if you go into "enhanced edit" (Not sure if this is the right translation). There you can send the post to recycle bin.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Hi,

I've see this client on eBay, and I'm very interested to buy one. ATM my Nas is an udoo board, but it's arm based, old.

But I've a problem.

I don't have an external monitor, and no key/mouse.

How I can install omv without it?

On my old Nas, I have an image of omv in the microSD card, and i connect directly with the webpage, or, via SSH.

Thanks to anyone.

• Well I dont think its possible to install an OS without a monitor. After installation you can remove the monitor.
    There are to much cheap old small 17 inch square monitors at dump/re-use/recycle stores. Probably also on ebay.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!