Tutorial OMV 0.4 or 0.5 - howto join windows 2008R2 active directory

• Hi

I was using debian GNU/Linux to manage my files with RAID mirroring. I discovered OMV a few month ago and I replaced my debian distro. Migrating my RAID array was a piece of cake despite I'm not an expert about lots of thing about linux.

I'm using both windows and linux at home and I wanted to manage all my computers having the best of both worlds. I decided to create a howto to make OMV a domain member.

I want to share my work to the community. I wish that in a near future, OMV will be able to natively join a Active Directory domain thanks to a dedicated plugin.

The following configuration has beed designed to host domain users home directories, and let users to access their home with both SSH and SMB/CIFS.

Before posting today, I found some tips to make OMV a domain member here : http://bugtracker.openmediavault.org/view.php?id=487

Feel free to tell me anything which may improve this howto.

EDIT : new tutorial with NFS support here (OMV 0.4 or 0.5) : http://forums.openmediavault.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2648

EDIT : read the same tutorial for OMV 1.0 : Tutorial OMV 1.0 - how to join an Windows 2008 R2 domain

1 - LAB description

1 ESXi 5 host with some virtual machines :
    1 windows 2008 R2 ad domain controller
    1 OpenMediaVault 0.4.x
    1 windows 7 64 bits member of the 2008 R2 domain

the domain controller has DNS and DHCP roles
    Openmediavault has 1 ethernet interface configured with DHCP

1.1 - Settings
    Domain is : domain.local
    windows 2008R2 hostname : srv-dc-01
    omv hostname : omv

1.2 - customizations or what you need to adapt to YOUR needs
    a way to synchronize time between your DC, your OMV server and your domain member computers
    the domain name (and therefore the workgroup)
    the directory containing homedirs (probably something line /media/30fcb748-ad1e-4228-af2f-951e8e7b56df/YOURWORKGRP)

2 - On OpenMediaVault

2.1 - Check IP configuration

Openmediavault has a DHCP assigned IP address. You should check his hostname and name resolution

Code
    omv:/# host domain.local
    domain.local has address 192.168.0.10
    omv:/# hostname -f
    omv.domain.local

2.2 - Check time and NTP

The LAB environment runs ESXi : time is synced on each VM boot and is sufficient for testing purpose. In production environment use VMware Tools and time sync agains the ESXi host or use NTP.

2.3 - Install required packages

omv:/# apt-get update; apt-get install krb5-user krb5-clients libpam-krb5 winbind

you will asked for kerberos default domain : DOMAIN.LOCAL

2.4 - Kerberos configuration

Runs out of the box with default configuration. However you may edit /etc/krb5.conf as the following

2.5 - Test kerberos settings

Code
    omv:/# kinit -V administrator (at) DOMAIN.LOCAL

Give administrator password

test you got a ticket :

Code
    omv:/# klist
    Ticket cache: FILE:/tmp/krb5cc_0
    Default principal: administrator (at) DOMAIN.LOCAL

Valid starting     Expires            Service principal
    01/28/13 13:28:58  01/28/13 13:38:58  krbtgt/DOMAIN.LOCAL (at) DOMAIN.LOCAL

destroy all tickets (and check with klist)

Code
    omv:/# kdestroy

2.6 - SAMBA settings

In OMV webGUI :

enable SAMBA
    set Workgroup : DOMAIN
    tick "Enable user home directories". You may also tick "Set browseable".
    add extra options :

:!: Read this post if you're under windows 8 to try a performance enhancement : http://forums.openmediavault.o…f=3&t=1493&p=24413#p24366

Test samba configuration

Code
    omv:/# testparm

Disable winbind cache

edit /etc/default/winbind and uncomment the following

Code
    #WINBINDD_OPTS = "-n"

restart samba and winbind

Code
    service samba stop
    service winbind restart
    service samba start

:!: This step is not required
    If you wish to view your AD users and groups in OMV webinterface include UIDs and GIDs into non-system users and groups in /etc/login.defs. Find UID_MAX and change UID_MAX and GID_MAX as the following

Code
    UID_MAX                 60000GID_MAX                 60000

Editing AD users and groups using the OMV webinterface will fail because they are not stored in /etc/passwd and /etc/group .

2.7 - Join the domain

Argument createcomputer allows you to create the computer's account in an organisational unit (OU) and is not required.

Code
    omv:/# net ads join -U administrator createcomputer=servers/linux
    Enter administrator's password:
    Using short domain name -- DOMAIN
    Joined 'OMV' to realm 'domain.local'

2.8 - enable authentication with winbind

edit /etc/nsswitch.conf

Code
    passwd: compat winbind 
    shadow: compat
    group: compat winbind

Code
    omv:/# ldconfig

2.9 - check users and groups enumeration

Code
    omv:/# getent passwd

(you get local and AD users lists)

Code
    omv:/# getent group

(you get local and AD groups lists)

2.10 - Enable mkhomedir and umask

create the file /usr/share/pam-configs/my_mkhomedir with the following content

Code
    Name: Activate mkhomedir
    Default: yes
    Priority: 900
    Session-Type: Additional
    Session:
    	required	pam_mkhomedir.so umask=0077 skel=/etc/skel

umask argument for mkhomedir didn't worked for me. pam_umask.so seems be a better option. Create the file /usr/share/pam-configs/umask with the following

Code
    Name: Activate umask
    Default: yes
    Priority: 800
    Session-Type: Additional
    Session:
    	optional	pam_umask.so umask=0077

Run the command pam-auth-update, enable Activate mkhomedir and Activate umask. The items Kerberos authentication, Unix authentication and Winbind NT/Active Directory authentication should be already enabled.

2.11 - Fix domain folder permission

In SMB/CIFS, extra confguration the special variable %D is used to distinguish domain users from OMV's local users. A folder will becreated upon first domain user connexion. However the folder will not allow domain users to traverse the folder and access their home directory. This need a fix. Create the folder where template homedir expects to find it, and adjust the owners and permissions. If your active directory contains a white space, ensure to escape it with a backslash.

Code
    mkdir /home/DOMAIN
    chmod 0755 /home/DOMAIN
    chown root:domain\ users DOMAIN

2.12 - SSH login for AD users

In OMV webGUI enable SSH, disable root login (prefer su and sudo) and add this in Extra Options :

Code
    AllowGroups root ssh "domain users"

Please check "domain users is enclosed by double quotes and check this is the group name available in windows 2008 R2 (I'm french and I'm using a french windows 2008R2 : groups and users names are localized)

3 - Login against SMB or SSH

don't prefix username with domain. (eg: not DOMAIN.LOCAL/administrator; use administrator only)

My wiki : http://howto-it.dethegeek.eu.org

= latest setup =
    proxmox VE 6 hypervisor on a J1900 CPU + 8GB RAM
    guests : OpenWRT (VM), OMV 5 (VM), Samba 4 domain controller (LXC)
    OMV alive since 2011 I guess : never crashed, always upgraded : stronger than my hard drives.

Searching for a P2P online storage solution : must be open source, client side encrypted, quota supprt. Tahoe LAFS is the nearest, but is lacking quota. Would be perfect to build a OMV based, anonymous online storage for backups

29 Mal editiert, zuletzt von dethegeek ()

• Updates
    05/12/2014 : Fix 2.10 - mkhomedir. I probably mistakenly deleted the end of this step, the missing part made it inefficient. (Thank you WiiFriik)
    03/23/2014 : Lowered idmapping from 16777443-33554431 to 9400-59999 due to a bug in Squeeze (see http://forums.openmediavault.o…=3&t=1493&start=50#p30776)
    05/16/2013 : added instructions to enable home directories; added fix to feature ID MANTIS 0000487 (duplicate MANTIS 0000766)
    05/21/2013 : added 1.2 section : what to change to your needs (may require detailed instructions about homedirs path)
    07/14/2013 : work in progress : change the deprecated options idmap uid and idmap gid into idmap config * .
    08/11/2013 : added missing step 2.11 about fixing folder permissions when %D is used in template homedir

Known issues
    an AD group name containing a whitespace is interpreted as multiple group names when enumerating users in OMV webinterface. (in Access Rights Management, users). No related bug found.
    This setup needs a running DC to authenticate users : winbind has no cache and no offline authentication

Limitations
    This setup does not handle logons when the domain controller is offline.

= latest setup =
    OMV alive since 2011 I guess : never crashed, always upgraded : stronger than my hard drives.

Searching for a P2P online storage solution : must be open source, client side encrypted, quota supprt. Tahoe LAFS is the nearest, but is lacking quota. Would be perfect to build a OMV based, anonymous online storage for backups

12 Mal editiert, zuletzt von dethegeek ()

• (reserved)

= latest setup =

• Hello dethegeek,

first of all let me thank you for the tutorial. I'm a total noob regarding linux and with your help I was able to follow until the last step.
    Everything seems to be fine (for me :oops: ), but now there is a problem with the user authentication for samba shares.
    I have one folder which is available for all users (although the user rights are set to oly one user), all other shares are not available. When connecting in Windows 7, I get the message "access denied".

By the way, how is it possible for me to set user privileges for samba for example for domain-users?

I followed all the steps in your tutorial and so far no problem occured, the user list from actice directory seem to be present.
    As I already told you, I'm not familiar with linux, so I need a little bit of help what to check to find any fault.

Many thanks in advance.

P.S.: I forgot to mention that SSH access seems to works fine. All users can login with their ad-user and password.

• Hi

When you create a SAMBA share you must set/check the ACLs on the shared folder.
    * Login in your OMV web interface
    * Navigate through Access Right Management, Shared folders, create your share, or edit an already created share.
    * Click on the ACL button
    * In Users/Groups permissions, find all users and/or groups allowed to use your share. You may choose a read only or read/write access. Don't care about the "no access" column : it is useful on complicated setups with lots of users and groups.
    * Tick "Replace all existing permissions" (will overwrite your previous settings) and "Apply permissions to files and subfolders" (copy the ACL on each subfolder)
    These ACLs are written into the filesystem.
    * in "Extra options" you should have "owner : root read/write" "group : root read/write" "others : no access"
    * click "Apply". This may need a long time, depending on the quantity of files and folders.
    * Click on the Privileges button, and ensure anything is unchecked (AD users and AD groups are not listed here)

Now check the settings in Services, SMB/CIFS, click on the tab "Shares"
    Select your SAMBA share (or create it)
    Public : "no"
    Read Only : mostly "no", is you want do disable writes on all users and groups, then set it to yes
    Browseable : mostly "yes"

Remember that a user allowed to access a share needs to be allowed by both SAMBA and the filesystem. My personal choice is to allow any access in SAMBA (that's why i don't tick anything in "privileges"), but I restrict access on the filesystem's ACL.

Don't forget to test your settings by checking some allowed users and denied users too.

Let me know if you are able to make your server work as expected.

= latest setup =

• Hi. Thanks for your quick reply. The problem was my limited knowledge about the world of operating systems. :oops:
    I was using Windows all the time (and Dos of course), so I didn't think about the impotance of using the correct file system.
    I fitted some harddisks into my nas (each of them formatted in ntfs) and was wondering why the permissions are not set in
    the correct way (ACL was not available).
    Now I tried again with an ext4-drive, and what should I say, it works as ist should.All domain-users are present when
    using ACL to grant permissions. It is no god idea to use btfs when working with linux.

Than you again and if there are further problems I will contact you.

• Hi,

Great ! I hope you will enjoy your NAS : OMV is a very promising NAS/SAN solution.

= latest setup =

• dethegeek, I have an additional question concerning the user authentication.
    Is there a way to grant access for the active directory users to the nas folders even in times the server is not running?
    I'm running a small home network with a w2k8 server, but the machine should not always be running to save energy.
    My nas is switched on 24/7, but I encounter the situation that the acces to the shared folders is not possible due to missing user verification.
    When trying to acces a shared folder in W7 and the server is down, I'm alwyas prompted to enter username and password, but the login fails.
    If the server is online, everything is fine.

Is there a way to solve this problem, or do I make any kind of mistake? Then I think it will be also possible to create user folders which are always accessible
    indepent from server online or not.

Thanks for your answer in advance.

• Hi Gehaktbal

I have user dirs hosted in my OMV server. I'm using GPOs to redirect the My Documents folder from computers to the OMV server. This is working fine since I've posted this howto.

To do this in OMV backend, go to SMB/CIFS in the left panel, and tick "Enable user home directories". You may also tick "Set browseable". I should update the howto with these parameters.

= latest setup =

• Zitat von "WiiFriik"

Is there a way to grant access for the active directory users to the nas folders even in times the server is not running?

Your setup is running as expected. This is a limitation of my howto because this setup needs your domain controller to authenticate users. If you want to turn off your DC you may use an other setup based on winbind and openLDAP. I may try this setup in the future. If I'm right (because i did not investigate yet) openLDAP is used to replicate AD users and groups. Winbind uses openLDAP to authenticate users.

The following may be a good start https://cwiki.apache.org/DIRxI…backed-winbind-idmap.html

I may try that in a few weeks, and produce an other howto if it works.

I hope someone will develop a plugin soom for both setups.

If your computer is not too old (64 bits CPU with virtualization support and a well choosen hardware) you may use VMware ESXi to run OMV and yout AD controller on the same computer. This is actually the setup I have. Here are the details :
    a chenbro es34169 case (4 hotswappable SATA HDD )
    a Jeyway NF93R-LF mainboard
    a Core 2 Duo mobile (from my dead Asus ROG G1S laptop) @ 2.2 GHz
    4 GB RAM
    4 HDD : 1 for my virtual machines, and 3 dedicated to OMV
    A 1 GB USB stick to run ESXi with an internal USB port

= latest setup =

• Does getent group work as expected ? You shall see all AD groups. If you see them, you may have missed winbind enum users = yes in SAMBA extra options

getent passwd and getent groups depends on the following options in samba configuration

Code
    winbind enum users = yes
    winbind enum groups = yes

check these lines are not missing in SMB/CIFS extra options.

Also check part 2.8 about the file nsswitch.conf

Are you able to login with an AD user in a non public SAMBA share ?

= latest setup =

• Zitat von "dethegeek"

Does getent group work as expected ? You shall see all AD groups. If you see them, you may have missed winbind enum users = yes in SAMBA extra options

getent group displays:
    root@omv:~# getent group
    root:x:0:
    daemon:x:1:
    bin:x:2:
    sys:x:3:
    adm:x:4:
    tty:x:5:
    disk:x:6:
    lp:x:7:
    mail:x:8:
    news:x:9:
    uucp:x:10:
    man:x:12:
    proxy:x:13:
    kmem:x:15:
    dialout:x:20:
    fax:x:21:
    voice:x:22:
    cdrom:x:24:
    floppy:x:25:
    tape:x:26:
    sudo:x:27:openmediavault
    audio:x:29:
    dip:x:30:
    www-data:x:33:
    backup:x:34:
    operator:x:37:
    list:x:38:
    irc:x:39:
    src:x:40:
    gnats:x:41:
    shadow:x:42:openmediavault
    utmp:x:43:
    video:x:44:
    sasl:x:45:
    plugdev:x:46:
    staff:x:50:
    games:x:60:
    users:x:100:debian-transmission
    nogroup:x:65534:
    libuuid:x:101:
    crontab:x:102:
    ntp:x:103:
    ssl-cert:x:104:
    postfix:x:105:
    postdrop:x:106:
    ssh:x:107:
    messagebus:x:108:
    avahi:x:109:
    netdev:x:110:
    tftp:x:111:
    snmp:x:112:
    sambashare:x:113:
    openmediavault:x:999:
    mysql:x:114:
    debian-transmission:x:115:
    winbindd_priv:x:116:

Zitat von "dethegeek"

getent passwd and getent groups depends on the following options in samba configuration

Code
    winbind enum users = yes

check these lines are not missing in SMB/CIFS extra options.

Those lines are there:
    password server = *
    realm = EMCEKA.LOCAL
    security = ads
    allow trusted domains = yes
    idmap uid = 10000-20000
    idmap gid = 10000-20000
    winbind use default domain = true
    winbind offline logon = false
    winbind enum users = yes
    winbind separator = /
    winbind nested groups = yes
    ;winbind normalize names = yes # needs to be disabled
    winbind refresh tickets = yes
    ;template primary group = users # seems deprecated ?
    template shell = /bin/bash
    template homedir = /home/%D/%U
    socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
    client ntlmv2 auth = yes
    client use spnego = yes

Zitat von "dethegeek"

Also check part 2.8 about the file nsswitch.conf

# /etc/nsswitch.conf
    #
    # Example configuration of GNU Name Service Switch functionality.
    # If you have the `glibc-doc-reference' and `info' packages installed, try:
    # `info libc "Name Service Switch"' for information about this file.

passwd: compat winbind
    group: compat winbind
    shadow: compat

hosts: files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns4
    networks: files

protocols: db files
    services: db files
    ethers: db files
    rpc: db files

netgroup: nis

Zitat von "dethegeek"

Are you able to login with an AD user in a non public SAMBA share ?

Couldn't test this yet as it won't show me the AD users yet.

• Gehaktbal

Ok, almost everything seems correct except the two following lines in samba extra options.

Code
    idmap uid = 10000-20000
    idmap gid = 10000-20000

Can you give a try with the values provided in the tutorial ?

can you try these commands (your OMV must be a member of your domain) and give the result ?

#will list your AD users
    wbinfo -u

#will list your AD groups
    wbinfo -g

Did you follow the tutorial from a fresh OMV installation or did you some advanced tweaks before trying to join your domain ?

= latest setup =

• It was indeed a fresh OMV installation, changing the ids made it work.

Next up is creating a H: drive for the users. Is there anyway to automaticly set the right permissions on a their home folder?

Thanks for your time and helping me out with the small details ;)

• i'm not available this week end. i'll try to answer you as soon as possible.

shortly you have to use the web interface to set a users home directory. when users login, their folder will be created with the right acl.

EDIT : corrected lots of typos (damned, my natural language is not english, neither my smartphone's one...)

= latest setup =

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von dethegeek ()

• Hi dethegeek,
    thanks alot so far. I will read the information given in the link you gave me and perhabs try a little bit, but my time is limited right now.
    Waiting patiently for your answer, when you will have tried this configuration. I'm in no hurry.

• Hi Gehaktbal

Sorry for the delay.

The tutorial shows you how to configure mkhomedir. It helps you to create automagically the a user's home dir on his first logon. The folder is created with the right permissions to make it private.

I updated the toturial to share home directories.

In OMV's web interface, go to "Access Rights Managements" > "Users"
    Open the "Parameters" tab
    Enable user's homedir and choose/create a folder for your users. The path MUST be the same as template homedir in SMB extra configuration.

In the tutorial I set

Zitat

template homedir = /home/%D/%U

Therefore the user's homedirs are stored in /home/DOMAIN (because in the tutorial %D = DOMAIN which is the workgroup configured in SAMBA).

In your configuration, /home is probably in the partition containing OMV and you probably don't want to do that in production. Change /home into /media/{some-UUID}/{YOUR_WORKGROUP}.

The UUID is a unique identifier associated to each volume you created. If you got a volume with UUID=30fcb748-ad1e-4228-af2f-951e8e7b56df then it is mounted in /media/30fcb748-ad1e-4228-af2f-951e8e7b56df. (have a look in yout OMV installation using a terminal). It belongs to you to identify the UUID when you have several volumes for your data.

Zitat

2.6 - SAMBA settings
    [...]
    tick "Enable user home directories". You may also tick "Set browseable".

Do the above instruction; and have a look in the directory containing all your home folders. Find a user who has not his home. Login with a computer as this user. Check in OMV the folder has beeen created for him.

I will add a note in the tutorial about the location of the home directories

= latest setup =

• Hi dethegeek,

I managed to do everything past weekend. Its now completly working and all the users folders have the right permissions. I used GPO to set the users home dir data.

Regards,
    Gehaktbal

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!