Adding disk with existing file system?

• Hello

I'm planning a NAS using OVM. I have an existing 2TB disk with a lot of data on it. This disk was previously in my PCH-A110 media player. I believe the PCH has formatted it as either NTFS or an EXT2/3 filesystem.

Will I be able to connect this disk to my OVM machine or will I have to reformat it before use? There's quite a bit of data to back up so It'd be nice to not have to move it prior to moving it to the OVM box.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You should be able to just mount it in Filesystems if it recognizes the file system type. Then share it. No reformatting necessary.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• That sounds very reassuring.

I'm also a bit interested in the logical drive options that OVM offers. Is it possible to pool disks with existing filesystems in 1 big logical drive?

In my case I'm considering buying another 2TB drive of a different make/model and adding it to my OVM machine alongside the mentioned drive. I'd love to have 4TB total storage as 1 share rather than have 2x2TB.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Not with the existing filesystem. If you could put the data in a temporary spot, you can create a raid 0 array to make the two drives look like one big drive. If one drive fails, everything is gone though.

If the data is important, I would consider buying two drives. You could create a degraded raid 5 with the two drives, copy all the old info to the new raid, and then add the old drive to the new raid. This would allow one drive to fail without losing anything. It would also allow you to grow the raid 5 by adding more drives.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• It's replaceable data, all the irreplaceable stuff is backed up offsite.

But I take your post to mean that I should running Raid in order to get what I want, and that usually involves identical drives yeah?

If I've got mixed drives my only option is to make each drive it's own share?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would recommend raid. I don't use LVM but I think it can be used on individual drives to get one large filesystem. Some people run LVM on top of raid as well. If anything, you gain speed by running raid 0 or 5.

I have different drives in a raid in one of my systems. The raid will just function at the size of the smallest drive and speed of the slowest drive.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!