OMV completely hangs

• Hey people!

My OMV installation has been buzzing along nicely for nearly two years now, but in the recent days it has completely frozen on me 4 times. The system is completely unresponsive (webgui en local) and requires a hard reboot.
    After a reboot I find lots of errors in the syslog, see below for a small selection (it's usually several pages).

How would I start to troubleshoot this? My fear is a piece of hardware is starting to fail but I see no indication as to what it could be. Searching online gives me mixed results. The NAS is used as file storage en Plex station.

Thanks for any advice!

J.

• Thank you for the reply!

I ran omv-firstaid and selected the RRD database fix, below the output.

Code
    root@belzultra:~# omv-firstaid
    Checking all RRD files. Please wait ...
    All RRD database files are valid.
  • Last night I had another hard crash. While watchin a movie the system suddenly stopped and became completely unresponsive. No webgui, no shell access. I left it like that but it never recovered. After a reboot all is well again and this time there are no errors in syslog.

Does anyone have any idea as to what I can do before/during/after such a crash to troubleshoot this issue?

• Hmm, the Curse of the Black Sun (or my inability to stop messing with the wrong things) continues.

The last few days my system ran fine. Today I installed the new OMV 2.2.7 release and the Plex update. After the installation Plex refused to run. Uninstalled/reinstalled Plex using the web interface to no avail.

Went to check the logs and saw alot lot of collectd errors again. Used omv-firstaid to fix the db. Erros showed up saying future dates were in the logs. Agreed to delete them.

After this the webgui stopped working saying config.xml couldn't be found. I found another thread about the error message with a solution: reinstalling OMV using these commands:

Code
    cp /usr/share/openmediavault/templates/config.xml /etc/openmediavault/
    apt-get install --reinstall openmediavault

Webgui came back online but now I receive errors for every plugin I have installed:

Code
    Failed to get configuration (xpath=//services/pluginname)

Tried reinstalling them but it doesn't help. It might be time to do a complete reinstallation maybe? I feel like I'm a kid with adhd in quicksand. ;)

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would reinstall and make sure the OS drive is not failing.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ryecoaaron ()

• Great news! I'm using the following, but wouldn't be too bothered if not all are working 100% yet.

- Plex
    - Minidlna
    - extplorer
    - sabnzbd
    - transmissionbt
    - nut
    - virtualbox

I'll install OMV 3 tomorrow then! Awesome!

• Offizieller Beitrag

extplorer hasn't been ported yet.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Not sure if I should make a new thread about this. The installation went fine but after installing OMV-extras the webgui shows the following error when trying to log in (it never lets you log in). I found

Code
    Error #0:
    exception 'OMV\Rpc\Exception' with message 'Failed to connect to socket: No such file or directory' in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc:138
    Stack trace:
    #0 /var/www/openmediavault/rpc/session.inc(56): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('UserMgmt', 'authUser', Array, Array, 2, true)
    #1 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceSession->login(Array, Array)
    #2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(124): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #3 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(84): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('login', Array, Array)
    #4 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/proxy/json.inc(95): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('Session', 'login', Array, Array, 3)
    #5 /var/www/openmediavault/rpc.php(45): OMV\Rpc\Proxy\Json->handle()
    #6 {main}

If found this thread with a similar problem but it seems I'm locked out of root access for some reason. I'll try reinstalling again.

• One error was returned:

PHP Fatal error: require_once(): Failed opening required 'openmediavault/object.inc' (include_path='.:/usr/share/php:/usr/share/pear') in /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/omvextrasorg.inc on line 22

I can't SSH into the machine using Putty (access denied, probably something that's not on by default?), but I can work fine directly on the machine.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You installed the wrong version of OMV-extras. You need to install the version for OMV 3.x. OMV-Extras.org Plugin

• My problem is back. I'm running 3.0.40 and it has been working perfectly.

Yesterday night however I came back to a completely unresponsive NAS. No webgui, no screen output.

Attached my logs. Hang occured as the last event on friday (the saturday log entries are after a hard reboot), but I see no obvious errors. I'm thinking this has to be a hardware problem but I'd like to hear your opinions.

Edit: After the reboot Plex was unresponsive. Tried to disable it in the webgui, but after clicking save it came back with an error after a long wait. After this the systems seems to have crashed again.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The kernel segfaulted under high load according to the following two lines. Maybe it was running hot? I would run memtest and update your motherboard's bios.

Sep 30 22:54:25 belzultra monit[1182]: 'belzultra.localdomain' loadavg(5min) of 4.2 matches resource limit [loadavg(5min)>4.0]
    Sep 30 22:57:17 belzultra kernel: [1300744.904904] general protection fault: 0000 [#1] SMP

• Update:

- updated bios
    - stress tested cpu

Those went fine. Then I did what I should have done a lot earlier: Memtest86. It found a huge amount of errors; I'm actually amazed it still ran.

Thanks for the support!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!