2 Networkcards for more Transfer Speed

• Hello,

i got a server with a gigabit lan and wonder if i can install a second one on pci or pci-express for better network speed.

I found nothing like this in the forum so i ask hear, please move the theard if i´m wrong in here or help me if there is a theard already existing.

shrot:
    Can i run 2 Network cards in a server.
    The Idea is that 2 computers recieve data and both get 1 gigabit and dont have share one cable

Mostly i use my server for media and downloads and copy around stuff with samba.

Would it be possible for better performance to have 2 ip adresses on the server for this project?

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can bond two network cards together but you need a switch that supports it. Most cheap switches and routers don't. Two IPs won't really help unless you have separate processes that are specifically calling each IP address.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Not a bad switch but doesn't allow adapter binding. You typically need managed switch.

So, yes it is possible. You might have better luck with the two IPs and having each PC specify a different address. That would give them each 1 Gbps bandwidth (if your storage is that fast).

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• why can't you bind/team nics on the server itself? i.e.
    than you only need a good quality switch, not even managed one, just good quality.
    FYI, make sure you get a SWITCH not HUB. they might look the same but work very differently.

omv 3.0.56 erasmus | 64 bit | 4.7 backport kernel
    SM-SC846(24 bay)| H8DME-2 |2x AMD Opteron Hex Core 2431 @ 2.4Ghz |49GB RAM
    PSU: Silencer 760 Watt ATX Power Supply
    IPMI |3xSAT2-MV8 PCI-X |4 NIC : 2x Realteck + 1 Intel Pro Dual port PCI-e card
    OS on 2×120 SSD in RAID-1 |
    DATA: 3x3T| 4x2T | 2x1T

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can but I guess I didn't explain myself very well. Just trying to say he couldn't get a single 2 Gbps connection without a managed switch. Most people don't have the hardware (mainly storage) to saturate two independent 1 Gbps connections. So, I see that as more redundancy than connection speed increase.

The switch he linked to works well. I had a few of them at my last job. Can you even buy a hub anymore??

• Offizieller Beitrag

Does one computer even saturate a full gigabit interface? I don't see a point to this unless you really have networking bottleneck issues.

Mine do easily. I was even looking at 10Gbps networking equipment (used to it at work) but it is too expensive.

• Can you even buy a hub anymore??

yes, you can :)

just last week I was looking on some network stuff in local Microcenter and there was several hub on the shelf 8 and 16 ports . right next to the same size tp-link switches, that were actually cheaper than the hubs.

omv 3.0.56 erasmus | 64 bit | 4.7 backport kernel
    SM-SC846(24 bay)| H8DME-2 |2x AMD Opteron Hex Core 2431 @ 2.4Ghz |49GB RAM
    PSU: Silencer 760 Watt ATX Power Supply
    IPMI |3xSAT2-MV8 PCI-X |4 NIC : 2x Realteck + 1 Intel Pro Dual port PCI-e card
    OS on 2×120 SSD in RAID-1 |
    DATA: 3x3T| 4x2T | 2x1T

• Mostly i use my server for media and downloads and copy around stuff with samba.

Would it be possible for better performance to have 2 ip adresses on the server for this project?

No, for your use.

you only notice better performance on offices when several clients access to diferent files by samba at same time.

If your home use is like me: only copy big files from one PC to my NAS and Viceversa, yo do not notice any better performance because SAMBA is monocore and only use one thread per file and not several at the same time if try to copy several files.

• Offizieller Beitrag

So does D-Link DGS-1100-08. Have two of them that have been rebooted once since I purchased them in early 2014. Have 429 days uptime right now. Not bad for a $50 smart switch :)

• so thanks for all our help.
    i expected that copying to one pc woudnt get faster ... cause of my equipment and the stupid windows samba.

But what i want to try is something like:
    ground and first floor samba ip adress xxx.xxx.x.200
    second and thrid floor samba ip adress xxx.xxx.x.201

So when somebody whatches a BD-Rip 1080p Film in the living room on the raspberry (with gigabit-lan to usb 3.0 adapter) and i want to copy data in my "working place" i dont cut of the stream

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!