Newbie questions on Samba etc

• Hi all

This is my first post here so please forgive my lack of knowledge. I am looking to use a Raspberry Pi 3 to share my music/video collection to other devices - cheaper than running my PC 24/7. The music will be on an external USB hard-drive and I'm planning on putting OMV on the Pi's SD card. I have a few questions, some about Samba and some about other general points, so I hope this is okay in the Samba section.

1. Do I create my two Samba shared folders (Music and Videos) in OMV? Does this mean I don't have to make any manual changes to the smb.conf file?

2. Can the Samba shares be made read-only or read-write? When I get new music to add to the hard-drive, I'd like to be able to do that from my main PC and not have to disconnect the hard-drive from the Pi. So I'm wondering if I can have the Samba share as read-only most of the time (to avoid inadvertent deletions) then just change it temporarily to read-write so I can copy new folders/files to it via the file manager on my PC. Then change it back to read-only.

3. The Samba shares will only be for users & devices on my home network so can OMV create the shares without needing a password to access them on other devices?

4. I believe I mount the external hard-drive using OMV. Does that include automatically re-mounting it after a reboot or shutdown of the Raspberry Pi? I hope so because then I don't have to mess with the fstab file!

5. Finally, and this is less an OMV question and more for anyone who uses a Raspberry Pi 3 - does it have enough power to run the external hard-drive from the USB or should I get a powered hard-drive? I've read some pieces saying no problem, others saying have the hard-drive independently powered.

Many thanks in advance for your help
    David

• Offizieller Beitrag

1. Yes. No manual changes needed. You can make as many shares as you want.

2. Yes. You can specify either and/or by user. Make two locations. Use one rw to add and one read only to use most of the time

3. Yes

4. Yes, mount it in the filesystems tab and it will automatically add to fstab.

5. You want a powered drive. Why the RPi3 can power a drive if it has the right power supply, I would avoid it.

Just remember, the idea of OMV is to not use the command line.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Many thanks Ryecoaaron - and such a quick response.

Could you just expand on part of the second answer there please; about making two locations. Still just one shared Music folder but two ways into it??

I point my tablet/TV to the read-only location and use the read-write one from my PC when copying new files across?

Thanks in advance
    David

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can make two samba shares of the same folder - music and musicadd. music would be read only and musicadd would be readwrite. Samba has no problem have more than one share for the same folder.

Yes. That is the correct setup.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!