Sanity check on first OVM build

• Hi Everyone,

I’m a first time OMV user and NAS builder so I have a few questions to ensure I’m not doing anything stupid before I commit my data on to OMV.

I have built up a NAS using the following components.

• Pentium G4400 (3.3Ghz)
    • 2 x 4GB DDR 4
    • Gigabyte GA-B150N-GSM (ITX)
    • Sliverstone Strider ST65F-PT (650W)
    • M1015 (Flashed to IT)
    • 4 x Seagate 3TB (connected to M1015)
    • 2 x Seagate 2TB (connected to M1015)
    • 1 x Toshiba 250GB (Connected to Motherboard)
    • Fractal Design Node 304

I will be storing HD movies, HD TV shows, lossless music,photos and game archives. Pretty much all of these files will be static and new files will just be added.

1. Installation
    I have installed OMV 2.1 on to the 250GB drive and then installed all the OMV updates which has brought OMV up to 2.2.7. Then installed the OMV extra stable update for OMV 2.1 and installed snapraid and union filesystem.

2. Prepare disks
    Open physical disks and wipe (quick) all the Seagate disks. Then over to filesystem and format all the Seagate drives to EXT4.

So far so good, the next steps i'm not sure on

3. SnapRaid
    Go to SnapRaid and configure 2 x 3TB Seagate drives as parity drives (can I use 1 parity drive?) and the remaining Seagate drives will be data and content enabled (does content need to be enabled?).

4. MergeFS
    In the Union filesystem section create a mergefs pool with a create policy of existing path,most free space and select all drives except the SnapRaid parity drives.

Next steps
    From this point onward it would be setting up samba shares and then copy everything across to the NAS but I don’t want to move on unless snapraid and mergefs are set up is correctly.

Any thoughts or recommendations on my game plan?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Looks good. You can use one or two 3 TB parity drives.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I ran an 8 drive raid 5 array for years with only one parity drive. So, I think you will be fine.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• just curious why are you going with OMV 2?

you are not using any plugins that are not in OMV 3, and isn't a newer kernel better?

omv 3.0.56 erasmus | 64 bit | 4.7 backport kernel
    SM-SC846(24 bay)| H8DME-2 |2x AMD Opteron Hex Core 2431 @ 2.4Ghz |49GB RAM
    PSU: Silencer 760 Watt ATX Power Supply
    IPMI |3xSAT2-MV8 PCI-X |4 NIC : 2x Realteck + 1 Intel Pro Dual port PCI-e card
    OS on 2×120 SSD in RAID-1 |
    DATA: 3x3T| 4x2T | 2x1T

• That's a very good question vl1969.

Currently running OMV 3.0.35 with kernel 4.6 :).

Seem ok except for the buggy service status after install. I see a green lights showing that ntp, smnp, cifs and nfs services are running but they were all disabled. i enabled and the disabled each service which fixed it.

EDIT: hit a road block. using OMV 3 i am unable to select my mergefs pool in shared folders, only the individual hard drives appear for some reason. time to dig through the forum.

• I have seen that before.
    Can't remember what happened, but I think once I updated the extras plug-in and unionfs plug-in it start working . I however do not run backport kernel so ymcw.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

omv 3.0.56 erasmus | 64 bit | 4.7 backport kernel
    SM-SC846(24 bay)| H8DME-2 |2x AMD Opteron Hex Core 2431 @ 2.4Ghz |49GB RAM
    PSU: Silencer 760 Watt ATX Power Supply
    IPMI |3xSAT2-MV8 PCI-X |4 NIC : 2x Realteck + 1 Intel Pro Dual port PCI-e card
    OS on 2×120 SSD in RAID-1 |
    DATA: 3x3T| 4x2T | 2x1T

• Ok change in plans.

I'm back to OMV v2.2.8 but i have reconfigured the disk layout since i'm paranoid (wife would kill me if i lost the family photos).

2 x 2TB in Raid 1 - EXT4 (Music, Software, Photos).
    3 x 3TB in MergeFS pool - EXT4 (Movies and TV Shows).
    1 x 3TB for Snapraid parity (covering the Raid 1 and MergeFS pool).

I've also bonded the 2 network interfaces to Balanced-XOR, which from my reading is best choice for an umanaged switch.

Everything is trucking along quite nicely now, copying data over at 80-110MBps.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!