Basic newbie questions - RPi NAS setup - can't access web management

• Hi all

So whilst I'm not totally techno-illiterate, I'm not far off. I found a Tech Radar tutorial on using OMV to create a basic NAS using a Raspberry Pi which seemed fairly straightforward (how hard can it be to follow instructions, right?), but I've been having trouble right off the bat. I have no experience of any operating system other than Windows, and have never programmed, set up networks or anything like that.

What I want to do is connect the RPi to an external HDD to create a basic NAS. This will be used to house a number of shared document folders that will be accessed by 2 or 3 different people in a small office setting. No need for video streaming or anything like that - all (hopefully) really simple stuff. I want to be able to tuck the NAS in a corner somewhere, leaving it on permanently, so that anyone in the office can access it over the network at any time.

Anyway, I've installed OMV on my RPi's SD card (the RPi's boot screen says 'openmediavault 2.2.5 (Stone burner) raspberrypi tty1', which I assume is the version?)

I've connected the RPi to my router using an ethernet cable, and also connected my laptop to the network - currently with an ethernet cable, but have tried over wifi too.

When booting the RPi, I\m getting all the white text on a black screen, then it's giving me an IP address for the web management interface; however, when trying to navigate to that IP on my laptop (which I've assumed is how it's meant to work), I'm just getting a 'site can't be reached' error.

I'm sure I'm probably making a really basic error - does anyone know what it might be? How do I get into the web interface to set up the drive?

Sorry for the super basic question - i'm sure there will be more once I get past this stage too! Please bear in mind I'm not up with all the jargon, so please try to imagine you're explaining this to an elderly relative.

Thanks so much in advance
    Arn

• Hmm - took all the kit home to try to set it up there, and everything worked perfectly straight away. Got right in to web management no problem. Maybe I did get my wires crossed (literally) at the office...

Will give it another try tomorrow

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't know if I would use an LCD screen, but that would be up to you.

If you have all of the needed hardware:
    Here's the link to the R-PI -> build guide. When the build is done, here's a link to the -> new user guide which should get you started. These documents, and others that may be useful, are in the forums Guide Section.

• If anyone is thinking of taking advantage of the price drop on Sunfounder RPi NAS kits, just know that the screen and fans won't work with OMV6. From my experience it has something to do with WiringPi, which I couldn't get to work with OMV6. The Pi runs cool anyway are not really needed, nor is the screen for that matter as all the data you need is on OMV6.

• Sunfounder RPi NAS kits

Which kits are you talking about?

I have the Pironman and all works along OMV.
    I started this thread but forgot to put the "results" of the installation:
    Sunfounder PIRONMAN RPi4 box - Script Requires PIP - My NAS Build - openmediavault

Next week (when home) I will post how it was done and some pictures of it running.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!