• I am a newbie in NAS and Linux. But I want to try OMV on my old broken screen laptop HP NC6400 with specs Core 2Duo T7200 2.0GHz/2GB/100GB/DVD

I installed OMV successfully and can login to WebGUI through local network.

I would like to emphasize that my below requirements can be done if only 1 physical disk? :)

My questions for this NAS as follows:

1) Do I need a swap partition? If need, how can I do it with only 1 physical drive?
    2) I know that I can use Gpart to create a partition to put the file there. Can I use it to create a partition to host OMV and the other will be host my file, music, photo, etc... I don't mind if it lost
    3) I want to access my NAS to see video, photo from Windows + Android phone. Which plug-in or service should I install?
    4) I want to access my NAS from the Internet. How can I do? Can you send me a guide link?
    5) How can I sync my file through dropbox or box.net or other cloud services?

Thank you verymuch

• It isn't suitable to use your laptop as a NAS.
    It's wear and tear fast.
    Your OS is 100GB, that's fine for OMV.

1. Yes, if you use hibernation or don't have enough RAM.

2. Yes, but install data on a separate hdd is safer.

3. There are a few, FTP, web dav...remote share.

4. OwnCloud, NextCloud, Seafile. http://forum.openmediavault.or…SQL-alternative-approach/

5. OC/NC have that features.

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370
    32GB RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro

• Zitat von tinh_x7

It isn't suitable to use your laptop as a NAS.

Why? I think it is better in case of electrical consumption

Zitat von nguyenhoangonline

1) Do I need a swap partition? If need, how can I do it with only 1 physical drive?
    2) I know that I can use Gpart to create a partition to put the file
    there. Can I use it to create a partition to host OMV and the other will
    be host my file, music, photo, etc... I don't mind if it lost

I solve by follow this post

[Howto] Store data on the boot disk

Zitat

3) I want to access my NAS to see video, photo from Windows + Android phone. Which plug-in or service should I install?
    4) I want to access my NAS from the Internet. How can I do? Can you send me a guide link?
    5) How can I sync my file through dropbox or box.net or other cloud services?

I am looking for a solution. Thank you guys

• 1 + 2) The installer takes care of all that. All you need to know is that you need to use an entire drive for the system, so either use a small SSD (16GB is more than enough) or a USB drive (not recommended, but if you do, you must use the flash memory plugin).
    3) The easiest way is to use SMB/CIFS.
    4+5) Consider Nextcloud.

• It saves power, but its performance may not good as the desktop.

@tinh_x7 is correct. Your laptop will run OMV and performance should be ok but your not really getting a NAS your getting a laptop running a NAS OS.

For example my home NAS runs 24/7 and has 1 drive for OMV and many data drives which I've added to over time, I have a RAID 5 at the moment but will be changing to Snap RAID shortly. You are going to be hard pressed you do that on a laptop, if you data drive dies your have to replace and the recover everything from a back up. If that doesn't matter then go for the laptop.

I will say, this is a great place to start and explore what you can do with OMV and then when you've worked that out. You can start being a data hoarder like the rest of us :D:D

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!