built new nas question

• hello guys, im building a Nas for domestic use ( movies, music, torrent , some picture ).
    I wanna use a Raid 1 between 2 Wd red 3 tb, but i need some explanation about installation.
    I can install Omv in the first Wd red and after that , connect the second Hd for Raid ??
    Or i need a third Hd for install Omv and then, connect 2 Wd for Raid ???

OMV 6.X.X

HP Microserver Gen 10 Plus, 3X2TB Data , 1x4TB Parity , Usb Thumb for OS , 32g Ecc Ram.

Plugins : SharerootFs; Kvm; MergerFs; Ups; Snapraid; Resetperms; Fail2ban; Owntone; Flashmemory; Symlinks; Compose ;

Docker: Prowlarr, Swag; Transmission; Filebrowser; Polaris; Wireguard; Heimdall; GlueTun;

• no you ca not use system drive for storage.
    it is certainly possible but pain to setup and use.
    you have several options here,
    1. get a small hard drive and install OS on it << the best option IMHO
    2. get a USB stick and install on it . it will work and if you get a good quality stick it will last longer
    also with a flash media plugin you can make the usb stick last longer as well. but keep a good backup handy just in case.

now you need to think if you actually need raid, not that there is anything wrong with it but raid only gives you an up-time, it is not a backup

omv 3.0.56 erasmus | 64 bit | 4.7 backport kernel
    SM-SC846(24 bay)| H8DME-2 |2x AMD Opteron Hex Core 2431 @ 2.4Ghz |49GB RAM
    PSU: Silencer 760 Watt ATX Power Supply
    IPMI |3xSAT2-MV8 PCI-X |4 NIC : 2x Realteck + 1 Intel Pro Dual port PCI-e card
    OS on 2×120 SSD in RAID-1 |
    DATA: 3x3T| 4x2T | 2x1T

• Thanks for reply, so at this point im thinking to buy an SSd 30/60 giga (for Os install) and one Wd red 3 tb (for data)
    well well
    The project is :
    Asrock N3700itx 116,34 eu
    Hyper Impact 2x8giga 83,63 eu or Kingston 2x4giga 46 eu
    itek energy Piv 500w ce atx 13,99 eu
    coolmasterElite 110 M-itx 43,75
    wd red 3 tb 110 eu
    kingstone ssd 60 giga 44,99 eu

i dont know if buy 2x8giga ram or 2x4giga , some advice ???

OMV 6.X.X

HP Microserver Gen 10 Plus, 3X2TB Data , 1x4TB Parity , Usb Thumb for OS , 32g Ecc Ram.

Plugins : SharerootFs; Kvm; MergerFs; Ups; Snapraid; Resetperms; Fail2ban; Owntone; Flashmemory; Symlinks; Compose ;

Docker: Prowlarr, Swag; Transmission; Filebrowser; Polaris; Wireguard; Heimdall; GlueTun;

• Zitat

i dont know if buy 2x8giga ram or 2x4giga , some advice ???

that greatly depends on your plans for future use of the system.
    if all you plan is a plane and simple NAS device than this setup is way overkill in general.
    if otherwise you want to have additional functionality on it, like Virtualization , streaming and trans-coding on the device,
    the more RAM and CPU the better.
    you can always over commit CPU in VMs but RAM will always hold you back.

and your budget is important as well.

think in the nearer future a bit, than decide if you can reuse the RAM later than get as much as you can now and upgrade later.
    BUT my take on this matters would be , if I am going with 8GB I would get single 8GB so I can just add second one if needed. and not worry about reusing the 4GB some where to upgrade.

• 16 gig ram for a NAS seems abit much, BUT since there is only a $20.oo different between 8gig & 16gig DDR3. I say go for it. It can Not hurt

well it depends on what else will it be doing.
    I have been setting up my server running OMV as a fileServer(NAS) AND Virtualization server.
    so I have 50GB of ram in it :)

• Hi guys, thanks for reply, but i have another question for you.
    The n3700itx is not to weak for transcoding??
    Im thinking to stay on 8 giga for ram, and spend for a better Mobo

OMV 6.X.X

• @siteswap423 try and think of what you might use the server for in the future and plan accordingly. Maybe a cheap small SSD would be good for OS rather than the USB drive? Then your drives are pure data.

Also what are you streaming to? Nvidia Shield, Tablets, Laptops , Gaming console or dedicated Kodi / Emby / Plex box as this will help determine your requirements.

• I use plug-in plex for streaming to a Samsung Tv

OMV 6.X.X

• Me too, I have i3 mobo with 4 gig RAM and it handles everything I thrown at it. I don;t know about the n3700itx - sorry. like you I asked on this forum for advise.

I'm sure a more knowledge member will answer your transcoding question.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!