Norco ITX-S8 nas build

• What is the correct way to save my configuration before I try to install any of the omv-extras?

I personally use clonezilla for that purpose. Before I make a major configuration change I create an image of my OMV system disk. Indeed it is a little bit laborious and needs to shutdown the Nas. But if something goes wrong I have the possibility to go back to an earlier state and can start another try. The usage of clonezilla is quite easy.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• nginx is the web server. You would need a web based file manager probably based on php.

There isn't a way. If a plugin causes a problem, post here. Most problems can be reverted by uninstalling the plugin.

Thanks. I won't be changing too much at the moment, but I was just wondering about the configuration.

• I personally use clonezilla for that purpose. Before I make a major configuration change I create an image of my OMV system disk. Indeed it is a little bit laborious and needs to shutdown the Nas. But if something goes wrong I have the possibility to go back to an earlier state and can start another try. The usage of clonezilla is quite easy.

Thanks for the reminder. I still need to make a backup of the omv drive anyway so that makes sense to do now just in case. So I will just do this.

• Hi guys. Today I went ahead and turned on my nas to use it. I am able to get to my network files, but I tried to log into the admin account through the browser and I can't seem to be able to do it. Last time I turned it on I installed all the updates and of course I turned it off after that. Today I got the message on the tv telling me that the account is admin and the default password is openmediavault. I use the tv as my monitor on this. I can't login with either password on the gui, the one I put in or the default password. So I have no idea what other changes were there, but I just can't log into the browser gui. I can still access my files with my account though. Any reason why that changed since I haven't changed that myself other than the updates and I have had the nas turned off so it's not open to the Internet except when I update it or turn it on for a bit. I already turned it off and back on again, still the same thing.

• Well I did a bit of reading and thought I try using the omv-firstaid and it worked fine. Here are the steps in case anyone else gets locked out of the web panel. If you are using windows you need an ssh client since I don't think that worked last time I tried using ssh in the command line before. I just installed mate so I can just ssh into the nas from the terminal.
    1. Ssh into your nas with ssh root@yournasipaddress. Don't forget the @ character, it's been a while since I ssh into anything and forgot about it when typing this into the terminal.
    2. Enter your root password, I hope you wrote it down somewhere since it's not the account you use to login all the time. OMV needs 3 different accounts before you can start using it as a nas. Root, the web panel and a user account or you won't be able to use it. Do correct me if I'm wrong.
    3. Use the info from this link. http://wiki.openmediavault.org…nge_admin_password_in_CLI
    4. Here are all the options you will see when you use omv-firstaid.

It worked great, but I'm still wondering what happened though. I hope this helps.

• FYI: Every time I select to do all updates at once I get this error. It sometimes works if I start with one or two, let those updates go then I can select all the rest at once. I'm not sure why but thought I mention it.

I think I found the solution to this one. I didn't have a DNS in eth0 and just added that and it's going now. Cool.

• Okay most updates went through but there were some errors. The error looks to be from the man pages update. It's the only one that won't install.
    FYI, omv extras plugin wasn't showing up until I updated and I can see it now. So I'll give that a test. I went ahead and re-checked for updates and there where a whole bunch again so I updated and it seems to be working now.

• I found my way here as I have built out a similar solution that you had listed in your blog (can't post comments there btw). Norco ITX-S8, AS-Rock C236. 400WPSU, 5x4TB HGST NAS drives.

I'm able to get the BIOS screen (and I was able to install FreeNAS on a 2nd USB), but no drives are recognized. All the drives are lit, everything is plugged in...but the BIOS doesn't recognize them (I did do a direct connect to SATA Port 8 and it did see the drive).

Did you have a similar issue when building out your solution?

• I found my way here as I have built out a similar solution that you had listed in your blog (can't post comments there btw). Norco ITX-S8, AS-Rock C236. 400WPSU, 5x4TB HGST NAS drives.

I'm able to get the BIOS screen (and I was able to install FreeNAS on a 2nd USB), but no drives are recognized. All the drives are lit, everything is plugged in...but the BIOS doesn't recognize them (I did do a direct connect to SATA Port 8 and it did see the drive).

Did you have a similar issue when building out your solution?

Hey slayer, the only thing I can think of when you say none of the hard drives are recognized is that maybe you got the wrong cable from the back plane to the sata ports. Make sure that you have the reverse cable for this case. If you don't then it will never see any of the drives. If that is correct make sure that you update the bios, it's the first thing I do just to make sure. Once you are there make sure to use the optimum defaults to start with. The other setting to check would be the drives in the bios. Don't turn that raid setting in the bios, just the sata settings. Use the software raid that comes with openmedia vault. I'm just going by memory, but you'll see the settings in the bios. If the drives work, then it's just something like what I mentioned. I would also check all the bays with the same sata cable to make sure all are working, then plug all the rest. You just have to make sure your back plane is fine before assuming it's all good. This is just what I did, so make sure you do too. Most likely it's fine, but I like to know for sure. I hope this helps.
    As for the comments on there, yeah I had problems with that too, I told them but I have no idea why that no longer works unfortunately.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!