High CPU usage because of php5

• OMV 3.x

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• High CPU usage because of php5

I have just installed OMV 3 from fresh to my computer. But after login the WebUI I found that CPU was always running 100%. I enabled SSH and used 'top' command to see what is the problem. I found that php5 is the problem. Pls see the attach photo. How can I do in this case? Thanks
      Images
      • 2016-09-25 20_59_53-192.168.1.105 - CPU.jpg

179.23 kB, 645×296, viewed 167 times
    • Can not confirm this on various systems. Seems to be specific to your system. Any more information what can cause this?
      Absolutely no support through PM!

I must not fear.
      Fear is the mind-killer.
      Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
      I will face my fear.
      I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
      And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
      Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
      Only I will remain.

Litany against fear by Bene Gesserit
    • nguyenhoangonline wrote:

Can I update to php 7 in openmediavault? How can I do if it can?
      Nope. This will break php5-pam.
      omv 4.1.8.2 arrakis | 64 bit | 4.15 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 4.1.9
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers

Please read this before posting a question.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • If you turn off PHP, then OMV will not work anymore.

nguyenhoangonline wrote:

I turn off php service. Everything looks ok. Can I update to php 7 in openmediavault? How can I do if it can?
      What do you think this will improve this? Why do you think PHP7 will fix your issue?
      Are you a windows user? This will explain you thinking :cursing: :thumbdown:

I must not fear.
      Fear is the mind-killer.
      I will face my fear.
      Only I will remain.

• votdev wrote:

If you turn off PHP, then OMV will not work anymore.

nguyenhoangonline wrote:

I turn off php service. Everything looks ok. Can I update to php 7 in openmediavault? How can I do if it can?
      What do you think this will improve this? Why do you think PHP7 will fix your issue?Are you a windows user? This will explain you thinking :cursing: :thumbdown:
      Yes I am a Windows user. I think just give php7 a try. I saw many benchmark test for php. It says that php7 is better than php5. Is it wrong?
    • I have used OMV on php7 (not an easy hack) and it really isn't that much faster. Not worth the trouble of getting php7 on OMV.
      omv 4.1.8.2 arrakis | 64 bit | 4.15 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 4.1.9
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers

Please read this before posting a question.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • nguyenhoangonline wrote:

votdev wrote:

If you turn off PHP, then OMV will not work anymore.

nguyenhoangonline wrote:

What do you think this will improve this? Why do you think PHP7 will fix your issue?Are you a windows user? This will explain you thinking :cursing: :thumbdown:
      Yes I am a Windows user. I think just give php7 a try. I saw many benchmark test for php. It says that php7 is better than php5. Is it wrong?
      PHP5 is productive for years now, PHP7 is really new.

I must not fear.
      Fear is the mind-killer.
      I will face my fear.
      Only I will remain.

• According to your own post here you're running your NAS on a HP NC6400 laptop. As stated in that thread, bad idea from the start. But that particular model has a release date on May 2006.

Hate to break it to you but your old outdated hardware is the issue. No amount of software changes will live up to your performance expectations of a 8/9/10 year old laptop running as a NAS.
    • votdev wrote:

PHP5 is productive for years now, PHP7 is really new.
      Understand that but i just wonder why we don't include it in the testing version.

_DD_ wrote:

According to your own post here you're running your NAS on a HP NC6400 laptop. As stated in that thread, bad idea from the start. But that particular model has a release date on May 2006.

Hate to break it to you but your old outdated hardware is the issue. No amount of software changes will live up to your performance expectations of a 8/9/10 year old laptop running as a NAS.
      First, I read to wiki here before installation, my old laptop can meet the requirements.
      Second, I want to experience OMV and play around with Linux before building my own NAS. I think it is not a bad idea to start it with my old and unused laptop.
      Finally, I installed OMV2 on that laptop, it has no problem to running it before comming to OMV3
    • PHP7 is not included because it is not in Debian Jessie which is the core of OMV. Second, PHP7 is surely not as stable as PHP5. And for you it does absolutely have not benefits. The performance issue is surely not countable for a little webui like it is in OMV, instead it will be countable if you use it on a server with 10000 thousands and more hits a day.

I must not fear.
      Fear is the mind-killer.
      I will face my fear.
      Only I will remain.