OMV move from Physical to VM?

• Hi,

i see me more and more using virtual box under OMV and have now a few VMs and it is a pain if i must reboot my OMV Server... so I think about to backup in anyway the OMV and all VMs by its own.

Install ESX, create a OMV VM (with alle backedup settings or image or whatever from may actually running OMV instance and deploy the VMs (virtualbox) as own VMs under ESX.

Benefit my running VMs dont care a reboot if the OMV :D

Anyone could give me a good way to do this prozess.

regards

• how often do you need to reboot your setup ?

my last run was 59 days

omv 3.0.56 erasmus | 64 bit | 4.7 backport kernel
    SM-SC846(24 bay)| H8DME-2 |2x AMD Opteron Hex Core 2431 @ 2.4Ghz |49GB RAM
    PSU: Silencer 760 Watt ATX Power Supply
    IPMI |3xSAT2-MV8 PCI-X |4 NIC : 2x Realteck + 1 Intel Pro Dual port PCI-e card
    OS on 2×120 SSD in RAID-1 |
    DATA: 3x3T| 4x2T | 2x1T

• Offizieller Beitrag

I moved to proxmox just so I didn't have to reboot the host all the time. Plus, it is noticeably faster than virtualbox with some nicer features.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

looks nice - its free ? what the benefits over vmware? better hardware compatibility ?

It is free but there is also a paid version.

Has many more free options than VMware.
    Runs Debian Jessie with Redhat Kernel (for KVM). So, you have all tools available that Debian does.
    Web interface is better than ESXi.
    Don't have to use stupid esxcli tool
    Much better hardware compatibility.
    Can't think of much it can't do that ESXi can.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• but how do you use it as file server?

that was/is my issue with all other solutions I have tried is that I wan the HOST to be a dual use system
    a File Server -- as all my storage is with in the same chassis (essentially DAS) so the HOST must provide all the storage to all clients VM and real.
    and a Virtualization server where I can run special purpose VMs.

running OMV inside a VM kind of defeat the purpose isn't it?

and my hardware is not 100% IOMMU compatible so pass-through is not working properly and is a pain to setup anyway.

what would be the case for running OMV on Proxmox and how would I set it up for my use-case?

I wold love to be able to not reboot the host most of the time.

• Offizieller Beitrag

but how do you use it as file server?

I have OMV running as a VM. I pass through the main storage drives to the VM (3x4tb and 2x8tb).

running OMV inside a VM kind of defeat the purpose isn't it?

Why? It works great. I have 7 or 8 VMs running all the time and one is my Win10 desktop that I log into from everywhere. This gives me 10Gb networking between all the VMs instead of having separate boxes and paying for expensive networking hardware.

For your setup, you either need to upgrade for passthrough or use qcow files on the hard drives.

• but how do you use it as file server?

You don't. You install Proxmox. You then install OMV as a VM with the disks passed through to OMV. Then, OMV can serve storage to the other VMs.

When running OMV as a VM, you lose SMART diagnostics and spindown settings. You could set these on the Proxmox host though.

If you really want to run OMV as the host, then Virtualbox is probably the easiest way. You could also try Docker. Maybe it's possible to manually install KVM in OMV, but that will be CLI only.

• For your setup, you either need to upgrade for passthrough or use qcow files on the hard drives.

unfortunately upgrade is not in the cards for now. I have too much invested in the current hardware and until it breaks to the point of no return I am stuck.

I will however see if I can try the latest Proxmox setup. maybe it has better compatibility now

• Offizieller Beitrag

maybe it has better compatibility now

Should be identical or better than OMV 3.x since it is Debian Jessie with Ubuntu 16 4.4 kernel

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ryecoaaron ()

• Should be identical or better than OMV 3.x since it is Debian Jessie with Redhat 4.4 kernel

the thing is , with OMV I do not need PCI pass-through, it is all run natively
    OMV provising me with File server services using local drives(DAS) and I can do virtualization with virtualbox again using OMV as GUI to set things up and manage.

if I move to OMV in VM on proxmox I would ether need pass-through all my drives into it so I can still use SnapRaid and MergerFS as I do now. or loose this setup and find a way to do that on proxmox side.

the only comparability issues I have where IOMMU/pass-through features or a better GUI to manage the host system.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You don't have to have passthrough drives. You can create raw or qcow hard drive images on the drive. Both can be mounted on another system in case of emergency. OMV sees these virtual drives just like a real hard drive. So, you can still use snapraid and mergerfs.

• yeah, but how do I setup my real drives to have some protection and up-time.

right now my setup is :

2x120GB SSD in raid-1 for system (OMV)

2x3TB HDD for SnapRaid Parity
    1x3TB + 3x2TB + 2x1TB for data SnapRaid

using mergerFs to pool all data drives into main datapool.
    I am still in test/try mode so not everything is on the system but I do have some real data there.

how would I set all of this up to run under Proxmox with safeguard from drive failure.
    I know I need additional backup, I am thinking of getting a 4 or5 TB external USB drive and do scheduled rsync on it once I have the whole setup iron out and start moving all my staff on the system.

the whole point of me using OMV is to make it easy to setup and manage SnapRaid and MergerFS
    to get all my drives into safer and more manageable configuration. Proxmox bring me back to status quo.
    it has no GUI to actually help with setup and management of the real drives.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I guess you are not understanding my idea. You put one virtual hard drive on each physical hard drive. You pool those virtual hard drives in OMV just like a physical box. If a physical hard drive fails, it is the same problem as if the VM was physical because you would lose the virtual hard drive.

For this idea you do need to manually mount the drives by creating a fstab entry in proxmox. I use blkid to get UUID and mount at /mnt/3tbd1

Then you add the mount points to the storage pool using the proxmox web interface. When you create the VM, you create hard drives and just put one on each storage entry. All of my VMs other than my main OMV file server do this and it works well.

• sounds interesting.

let me see if I get this right.

I install Proxmox (in my case on the SSD raid-1)

than I create a virtual harddrive file on my data drives (not sure how to do that but googling like crazy)
    mount the files on Proxmox to make tham available as storage
    and add them to VM as needed
    use snapraid+mergerfs in VM as I do now.

very interesting...
    I will try that ASAP and see what I can come up with

the only real downside I see is that drives can not be span down as they are used in VM
    and I am loosing SMART tools to monitor them for issues.
    but I can load webmin on Proxmox and use that for smart monitoring, right

• Offizieller Beitrag

The virtual hard drive file is created in the proxmox web interface.

smart tools would work in proxmox. I assume you can use webmin.

• even better :)

I did found this command though "qemu-img create -f qcow 2tbD1.qcow "

• Offizieller Beitrag

No need to use it. You may need qemu-img convert if you ever want to use virtual hard drives from ESXi or Virtualbox. I just moved a bunch of VMs from Virtualbox to Proxmox. Worked great.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!