Please critique & advise this DIY NAS Configuration.

• Hi,

After spending the past few days over on the Motherboard forum, I'm getting close to finalizing the design for a DIY NAS w/ OMV. The NAS should be relatively future-proof (can add more drives, can handle 4K streaming), and it should handle up to 4+ Plex Media Server streams simultaneously. It should also serve Kodi clients and store a large library of pdf files accessed via WebDAV.

Here's what I've come up with. It's a bit more than I planned to spend, so if you see ways to save money, please say so. Also, advice on technical improvements, etc. with OMV in mind will be very appreciated.

DescriptionVendorPriceQty.Net Price (incl. s&h, rebates, & tax)
    CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1220 v5SuperBiiz$197.991$204.98
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVONewegg$29.991$24.99
    Motherboard: Super Micro MBD-X11SSH-LN4F (micro-ATX) w/ integrated graphicsNewegg$239.991$228.98
    Memory: Samsung DDR-2133 ECC 16GBAmazon$80.211$80.21
    System Storage: 120 GB SSD, A-Data Premier SP550NCIXUS$37.991$37.99
    "Cold" Storage: WD Red 4TB 3.5" DriveNCIXUS$147.823 (for RAID 5)$443.46
    Case: Rosewill RSV-L4000-4U*Newegg$90.991$90.99
    Intake Case Fans: Noctua NF-F12 PWM (120 mm)*Amazon$18.492$36.98
    Exhaust Case Fans: Noctua NF-R8 Redux-1800 PWM (80mm)*Newegg$13.992$27.98
    Hot Swap: Rosewill RSV-SATA-Cage-34 4-bay hot-swap cageAmazon$59.431$59.43
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNova 550W Gold Certified ATXNewegg$84.991$80.98
    TOTAL:$1,316.97

*The Rosewill case comes with 5x120mm and 2x80mm fans. But reviews have said they're noisy, and they're not PWM. Since this NAS will sit in my living room's media cabinet, I plan to replace them with quieter, more efficient fans, and sell the Rosewills. Rosewill makes a smaller version of this case, which comes with only 2x120mm and 2x80mm fans. Since I can't know ahead of time how hot this system will run, I plan to start out with only 2x120mm intake fans and 2x80mm exhaust fans. If the system runs hot with these, I'll add fans as necessary.

I already know I can eliminate the hot-swap cage, get the smaller Rosewill case for $10 less (but hopefully I can offset the additional cost by selling the 3 extra fans that come with the larger case), and maybe get away with using the Rosewill fans instead of the Noctuas. The X11SSH-LN4F motherboard has 4 network ports, but the system needs 2 at most. Nonetheless the version with two-fewer ports, the X11SSH-F, does not seem to be available on the Web, except at prices higher than that for the LN4F version.

Other thoughts?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Components look good. I wouldn't put it in my living room though :)

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Well, it will go in a media cabinet, so you won't see it unless you're standing in front of the cabinet, in which case it will look a lot like the receiver, blue-ray, etc. that are already there. Hopefully, you won't hear it either. :D

• Offizieller Beitrag

It was just the noise I was thinking of :) I do like my servers being in the basement so they stay naturally cool as well.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Just because all those fans "come with it" doesn't mean you need to run them all.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Just because all those fans "come with it" doesn't mean you need to run them all.

Great point!

Here's my thinking about this:

• There's no way to know ahead of time how much cooling this rig will need because the actual amount of heat generated will depend on ambient temperature, usage, and components, while cooling will depend on the specific aerodynamics and thermodynamics of the case, the air flow of the installed fans, etc.
    • Nonetheless, I am working on a budget. So if I have to purchase fans eventually, I need to try to include them in the budget now. This means estimating the fans I need to the best of my ability.
    • The Rosewill case I plan to use can take up to six 120mm fans (3 intake & 3 motherboard cooling) plus two 80mm fans (for exhaust).
    • Additionally, there's the CPU cooler. So the system could have as many as nine fans!
    • Rosewill sells several variants of the case, but all of them ship with fans. The model with the fewest fans comes with only 2x120 mm intake fans and 2x80mm exhaust fans.
    • So until I can determine otherwise, I assume that a minimum of four fans is necessary to cool this case properly.
    • So I need to plan on using at least four fans, 2x80mm exhaust and 2x120mm intake.
    • Adding the CPU cooler, this brings the initial total number of fans to five, which is exactly the number of fan headers on the X11SSH-LN4F.
    • Several user reviews of the Rosewill case have said the stock, included fans are noisy.
    • Silence is an important design constraint for this NAS.
    • Besides, the included fans are not PWM.
    • So the budget should include four replacement fans for the four included ones.
    • Nonetheless, what I'll probably do is build the server with the stock, included fans and then see how much noise they make and if they keep the system cool.
    • Afterwards, I'll order at least four quieter PWM fans, and possibly more if the original fans don't keep the system cool.
  • well it is a 4U case.
    you can get a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO OR Cooler Master Hyper T2 (it is shortest of the three models)
    it is big and very good cooling but very quite. I have 2 of them (dual CPU rig) and you can barely hear it.
    although my setup is in the basement and my case is older SuperMicro job, very sturdy, but still.

omv 3.0.56 erasmus | 64 bit | 4.7 backport kernel
    SM-SC846(24 bay)| H8DME-2 |2x AMD Opteron Hex Core 2431 @ 2.4Ghz |49GB RAM
    PSU: Silencer 760 Watt ATX Power Supply
    IPMI |3xSAT2-MV8 PCI-X |4 NIC : 2x Realteck + 1 Intel Pro Dual port PCI-e card
    OS on 2×120 SSD in RAID-1 |
    DATA: 3x3T| 4x2T | 2x1T

• well this is not as good quality case as Super Micro or even DELL.
    sure it is noisy, material is simply too thin for being a good sound dampener.
    also what ever fans come with it are speedy but not sound-friendly

omv 3.0.56 erasmus | 64 bit | 4.7 backport kernel
    SM-SC846(24 bay)| H8DME-2 |2x AMD Opteron Hex Core 2431 @ 2.4Ghz |49GB RAM
    PSU: Silencer 760 Watt ATX Power Supply
    IPMI |3xSAT2-MV8 PCI-X |4 NIC : 2x Realteck + 1 Intel Pro Dual port PCI-e card
    OS on 2×120 SSD in RAID-1 |
    DATA: 3x3T| 4x2T | 2x1T

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!