Power off command vs poweroff via power button (Wake on Lan)

• Hello,

I want to turn of my OMV server every night and start it every morning via Wake-on-Lan. I encounter the following issue:

- If I turn of the computer with the powerbutton (soft power button) then I'm able to start the computer with a WOL packet. The computer is at that moment really "dead". No lights coming from motherboard, lan port etc..
    - If I issue a power-off command (sudo poweroff now, or via the schedule in the OMV interface), I'm not able to start with a WOL packet.

If I use the halt command, the computer goes in standby. Blinking leds. This is not the behaviour I want.

Does anyone has some suggestions for me? Apperently the soft power button doesn't bring the computer in the same state as the power-off command.

Regards,
    Jeroen

• Offizieller Beitrag

Issue all this commands in terminal (ssh), for each of them let me know which one let's you wake up from wol.

pm-suspend
    pm-hibernate
    poweroff

Your MB might not support wake on lan from certain power states.

• Thanks. I tried them all:

pm-suspend: works, although the leds keep blinking. (system is going into suspend and also wakes on LAN)
    pm-hibernate: Goes into hibernate, system almost dead, power led is slowly blinking.
    pm-poweroff: Goes into poweroff mode, but cannot wake with wake on lan

Neither of these have the exact behaviour als when I use the powerbutton. After use of the powerbutton:
    - System goes to poweroff state with no led blinking at all
    - WOL invokes a complete fresh boot

• it's probably a problem with the motherboard. Mostly of tthem doesn't support WOL from shutdown, i have to put your nas on sleep mode, not sure about hibernation.
    Still, if hibernate is working, I suggest to use it.

Intel G4400 - Asrock H170M Pro4S - 8GB ram - Be Quiet Pure Power 11 400 CM - Nanoxia Deep Silence 4 - 6TB Seagate Ironwolf - RAIDZ1 3x10TB WD - OMV 5 - Proxmox Kernel

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!