OMV and 4k advanced format

• hello,

i have taken a look @ my HP proliant and the partition table of my WD Red 2tb disk.

i have understood everyting right, the partion tabe of an 4k advanced format drive sould start on a multiple of 8 and end on +1/8?

so i have parted my disk with omv and have taken a look with fdisk:

Code
    Disk /dev/sdb: 2000.4 GB, 2000398934016 bytes
    256 heads, 63 sectors/track, 242251 cylinders, total 3907029168 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/sdb1               1  3907029167  1953514583+  ee  GPT

ok the end is dividable thru 8 if i add 1, but the beginning isn´t a multiple of 8?!?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Try fdisk -lu and you will see a multiple of 8 if OMV partitioned it.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• i have used fdisk -lu

and no there is not a multiple of 8, and yes i have partitioned it with OMV (about 2 weeks ago)

i have added you a screenshot, as you can see the WD Red WD20EFRX-68A is /dev/sdb and this is a 4k advanced format disk and starts at 1???

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't think OMV partitioned this disk. An existing partition must have been on the disk. Do you need the data? If not, I would delete the partition using fdisk and redo it in the web interface.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• i am 100% sure i have partitioned the disk with omv (webiface) and no the disk was brand new i´m also 100% sure about that (sealed, 0h spintime - 1 spinup in smart)

i need the data yepp almost 2tb of movies from my dreambox ;)

but i will try to back it up to another disk and set it up from the scratch...

• Offizieller Beitrag

You are correct. I just plugged a usb drive in with no partitions and it starts on sector 1. I think it should start from 2048 like fdisk defaults to. Your Samsung F4 is another 4k drive. What sector does it start on? Although in a raid, omv uses the whole disk and ignores the partition.

• Hi,

same here. I´m using two 204UI and both have been formatted using omv.

This ist the output of one of the disks:

I will recreate the partition in a few minutes using the Webinterface of omv and see what will happen.

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

You are correct. I just plugged a usb drive in with no partitions and it starts on sector 1. I think it should start from 2048 like fdisk defaults to. Your Samsung F4 is another 4k drive. What sector does it start on? Although in a raid, omv uses the whole disk and ignores the partition.

this disk wasnt partitioned by OMV this disk has an old partition with ext4 created with a qnap ts219p+ ;)

ok hmmmm i guess something is wrong with OMV but what´s wrong?!?

kernel?...??

• Here is the result partitioning the drive using omv´s webinterface:

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "SadButTrue"

ok hmmmm i guess something is wrong with OMV but what´s wrong?!?

kernel?...??

Just a partitioning option. Thought this was fixed a long time ago. I guess most of my systems are raid or converted Ubuntu Server systems that I manually partitioned. So, I didn't notice it. Maybe Volker can tell us more.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The good news is that it won't hurt anything. Just slows the drive access down.

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

The good news is that it won't hurt anything. Just slows the drive access down.

thats exaclty the problem in this case ;)

not on my system (4k on my recording hd thx to qnap) but on toppi´s (he is my padawan :D)

we are recording streams from our dreamboxes using nfs/cifs and he has always bit errors in his recordings...

• Offizieller Beitrag

I looked at the code and it does use 4096 byte block sizes and uses sgdisk's --first-aligned-in-largest flag which should align everything properly. Not sure why it still stats at sector 1.

• The reason is, cause the drive reports a phyiscal blocksize of 512 bytes, where it should report 4k. Therefore sgdisk assumes 512 byte sectors and does not align it to 4k.

Anyhow nowaday it should be allways create partitions at 1Mbytes or 2Mbytes, there is simply no need to handle it different.

Also the startsector of every partition needs to be evaluated the same way by using 1MB boundaries instead of using the hard disk parameters, as long as those are wrong.

You can calculate the start sector for the second partition like this:

End of first partitions in sectors /integer divide by 512 + 512 - this will give you the next 1MB sector to start the next partition.

Everything is possible, sometimes it requires Google to find out how.

• Zitat von "SerErris"

The reason is, cause the drive reports a phyiscal blocksize of 512 bytes, where it should report 4k. Therefore sgdisk assumes 512 byte sectors and does not align it to 4k.

nope it doesnt report 512bytes for physical blocksize - plz take a look @ my initial post:

Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes

• Not sure if this will get fixed or not. Simply partition manually. Or shift the partition with parted (takes a long amount of time).

However if you are using raid, then there is most likely no need for partitioning at all and it would automatically remove that issue, as mdadm is by default aligning it to 4k boundaries. Same is true for LVM, and both do not need partitioning.

Everything is possible, sometimes it requires Google to find out how.

• Hi,

nothing new in here?

Just initialised a brandnew WD 3TB red drive using OMV´s webinterface. Here is the result:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!