Mounting remote disks to use as first volume configuration

• Hi guys,

I was wondering if I could mount remote disk into an array with OMV ?

I have a computer "A" with empty disks at some place and I dlike to install OMV at another place 400 km away on computer "B" but still using my "A" HDDs.

Is this possible and what should be the steps ? thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

Possible? Yes. Slow? Yes. What are you trying to do with Computer B?

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• We're building a NAS for a small company. 20-30 users.
    Basically there'll be running a CIFS share and maybe some webdav.
    My boss dliked to use the HDDs from the datacenter for all the data written by users and replicate them all here on the disks at the office where the server will be running.

Not sure it's really usefull considering the bandwith tho its a point i must provide an answer with.

capacity is quite ok on both side, and data traffic isnt that large, full backups run for less than a Tb.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you had two identical OMV boxes, you could use syncthing to sync the two systems. You could also have the users on one end VPN into the main server. Then you would only need one server.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Sadly I can't have another OMV running on the datacenter's disk. I just have 4 HDDs + OMV system at the office and the distant server access from the datacenter that actually runs for multi external backups from various sources.

• Offizieller Beitrag

So, you want OMV at the office to be able to access disks on server at datacenter?

• yeah i wanted to use OMV system at the office + disk for data at the office and remote disks for backups; but my boss asked me if we could swap the remote disks with the local one, using the local ones for backups and the remote for access and data and work. While still having OMV system at the office of course.

• Offizieller Beitrag

but my boss asked me if we could swap the remote disks with the local one, using the local ones for backups and the remote for access and data and work

Tell him that is a bad idea. You wouldn't be able to do any work if you lost your internet connection. Just rsync the disks from OMV at the office to the disks on the remote server on a regular basis (hourly?)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!