Time Machine in OMV3

• Just discovered:

with openmediavault-netatalk 3.2.2 plugin installed in OMV 3.0.40, Apple Time Machine is working perfectly
    again! Cool that this issue is also finally solved in OMV3.

Thank you very much @votdev and the team!!!! :thumbup:

HP Microserver Gen8 - 16GB RAM - 1x Dogfish 64GB SSD - 4x 3TB WD Red / ZFS raid1 - OMV 7.x bare metal - Docker - Synology DS214 with 2x 4TB WD Red for rsync backup

• Also from my side, many thx for enabling AFP plugin again!
    Now i have almost everything in OMV 3 what i really need!

• smb/cifs
    • AFP
    • WebDav
    • Plex
    • forked-daapd
    • VirtualBox

Again many thx @votedev and team

• Just a short question:
    Are there any ambitions to support SMB time machine as available in macOS Sierra?

The big benefit would be to stop being dependant on the proprietary and slow AFP

To use this, the following constraints are neccessary:

1. SMB needs to be advertised through bonjour with _smb._tcp (supported AFAIK)
    2. Bonjour needs to advertise time machine switch for this smb share (_adisk._tcp) (currently not supported)
    3. SMB2_CREATE_DURABLE_HANDLE_REQUEST_V2, SMB2_CREATE_REQUEST_LEASE_V2, SMB2_CREATE_DURABLE_HANDLE_RECONNECT_V2 need to be supported by SMB server (supported AFAIK)
    4. F_FULLFSYNC needs to be supported by smb server (don't know about this)

see also https://developer.apple.com/li…eb/Time_Machine_SMB_Spec/

• Offizieller Beitrag

Shouldn't be that question be asked at samba mailing list?
    If you haven't figure it out Omv is a web admin panel only, we don't provide the samba packages they all come from Debian repositories.

• Agreed!

Only thing that may be relevant to the plugin is maybe a switch in the SMB/CIFS settings to enable time machine because of the bonjour/avahi _adisk._tcp flag.

• @BBsan
    Why so you mean afp is slow?
    On my system read/write on my nas is working with Full gigabit speed. (117 mb/s)

OMV 4 Arrakis | Kernel 4.14 ... running on
    SelfBuilt NAS -- Asrock Q1900-ITX -- 4x 2,4 GHz in Burst Mode -- 4 GB DDR3 RAM -- RAID 5 -- 3x 3TB WD Red

• Thank your for sharing your experiences with OMV 3 and TimeMachine. My reason to buy a server was to store TimeMachine backups on it, but with OMV 2 this never worked flawless.
    So I hope I can upgrade in the next time.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!