Advice on planned OMV NAS build

• Hello everyone,

Brand new to the world of NAS and I wanted to know if I am choosing something appropriate. I am planning for a NAS that has to be in the living room so relatively quiet. I would like something that I could extend in the future so I chose a board with USB 3.1/ Thunderbolt 3.

Build:

Case: Fractal Design Refine R5
    CPU: Core i3-6100U
    Motherboard: Gigabyte X170 Extreme ECC
    RAM: 2x 8GB Kingston Value
    PSU: Fractal Design Integra 550W 80Plus Bronze M

Boot: 128GB SSD I have spare
    Storage: 6 WD Red 4TB

I know that the motherboard is not standard so I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Regards,
    Oglark

• Offizieller Beitrag

Sounds nice. Probably going to need OMV 3.x with the backports 4.7 kernel for supporting that new hardware.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I hadn't considered the drivers. But I would guess that the C236 chipset is supported in some form or the other. By the time I need the Thunderbolt functionality I am hoping that it will be pretty ubiquitous.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The chipset isn't the problem. I was think the Killer network adapter and usb3.1/thunderbolt would be the issues. I don't have the hardware so I don't know. Maybe it will just work.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can buy splitters. I had 30 sata devices in my server at one time and there wasn't 30 connectors on the power supply cords :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!