Anyone here have experience with vnc?

• As _DD_ said, unless you have a desktop environment that you want to work in, setting up VNC is pointless. Use either SSH or Telnet over a VPN hosted on the same network.

I use JuiceSSH on my Android device. If I remember correctly, it's about $5.00, but it is by far the best SSH client for Android, and if you use it enough, it easily pays for itself. I tried several free SSH clients, but they all struggled to work with nano. JuiceSSH has absolutely no problem with it.

I know this is not what you are looking for in your question, but just in case you decide to go with using SSH and want to use it on your Android device, I thought this could be useful information.

By the way, if you know a foreign language that is not currently supported by JuiceSSH, you can get it for free.

• VNC is for displaying a desktop environment. To use VNC with OMV, it would be a 3 part install. You would need a desktop environment installed on your OMV, the VNC server software installed on your OMV, and finally client software on your android. OMV 3 does have a remote desktop plugin but I'm not sure how it would get along with a VNC server.

That login screen you talk of with a monitor plugged in is just a glorified shell terminal. So you basically could achieve what you're after by installing an SSH app on your android device.

Well my reasoning behind it is that its really cumbersome to hookup a monitor to it to see whats wrong if on bootup it doesnt boot all the way, ssh doesnt work if it doesnt boot all the way.

Sent from my LGUS992 using Tapatalk

• Offizieller Beitrag

You need to have some kind of remote management system on the box like ILO, DRAC, etc. This is typically only found on server motherboards.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.11 | compose 7.1.3 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

A raspberry pi is not a server motherboard and it does not have remote management. You can look at the boot output with a serial adapter but it would be easier to use a monitor.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.11 | compose 7.1.3 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• What you really need is a hardware IPMI support,
    On most systems that is the name for it, on dell it called iDRAC now.
    It is a hardware based module, eather built in into motherboard or set on an add-on card that allows redirection of video, keyboardy and mouse to remote terminal using network.

OR you need a special KVM box that does the same thing externally I. E. you plug in your video, keyboard and mouse into it and connect that box to network . Then you can, using special software client or webbrowser ,connect to the box and work with the machine as if you where at local concole .

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

omv 3.0.56 erasmus | 64 bit | 4.7 backport kernel
    SM-SC846(24 bay)| H8DME-2 |2x AMD Opteron Hex Core 2431 @ 2.4Ghz |49GB RAM
    PSU: Silencer 760 Watt ATX Power Supply
    IPMI |3xSAT2-MV8 PCI-X |4 NIC : 2x Realteck + 1 Intel Pro Dual port PCI-e card
    OS on 2×120 SSD in RAID-1 |
    DATA: 3x3T| 4x2T | 2x1T

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!