Windows Home Server functionality in OMV

• I'm a newbie with a Windows & Windows Home Server background, trying to learn all of this new language. Obviously, most folks in this forum speak Linux-ese, but very little English :) .

I know from hours of perusing this forum that what I am about to say is very old hat, but here goes.

I have run Windows Home Server since 2007 on an HP MediaSmart server. As of October 1, 2016 that server died. I have no intention of going back to any Microsoft-based server solution so they can stick it to my checkbook X( . So after some Googling I have come to looking at either FreeNAS or OMV for a replacement, to put on my new Dell T20 PowerEdge. But I really like the simplicity that WHS gave me for: 1) client backups on a scheduled basis and sensing when clients were available, or warning me that they hadn't been backed up after a certain amount of time; 2) file storage and sharing, user permissions, etc. (duh); 3) alerting me to server issues that might affect the network; 4) remote access to get to my files over the web; and 5) attaching a USB external backup drive (that has successfully saved all of my files from the server crash).

I can’t find any "normal" language on either the FreeNAS nor this OMV site that can answer these simple questions. I can only assume that what I’m reading answers a couple of things (like #2 and #4) but all the developer jargon has me confused and I can’t tell if my five things above, simple as they seem, are all answered.

It looks like OMV beats out FreeNAS, but I can’t tell if I get all the stated functionality I addressed.

Any help out there for my simple mind?

• Offizieller Beitrag

It is difficult to replicate some of those features since OMV isn't windows. I've never used Windows Home Server but I will try to answer...

1 - I find it easier to have the client backup to the server. Then the server doesn't have to worry about whether the client exists or not. If you don't have Windows Pro/Ultimate/whatever, there are plenty of free clients you can use. Synctoy or freefilesync come to mind. I just created a plugin for UrBackup Server which has a Windows client as well. The server automatically detects the clients. You might like those features.

2 - Obviously, OMV does this very well. Much better than Windows :)

3 - OMV has lots of notifications

4 - Most people are installing owncloud/nextcloud manually or using the docker plugin. You could also vpn into the server with one of the vpn plugins or use ssh with putty/winscp (that is what I use).

5 - There is a usbbackup plugin that works well. I have two OMV servers that the main server syncs to the backup server via rsync. Works great. I backup locally on the main server using rsnapshot so that I have multiple backups (hourly, daily, weekly, monthly, yearly of selectable quantity).

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ryecoaaron ()

• Thanks Ryecoaaron, for replying so quickly. Gheez, I wish there were a Linux lexicon to explain what all these terms mean and what the apps do. But I'll struggle through it.

Do all of these items that address my questions come as user friendly GUI's or are they command line type stuff?

So, on #4, WHS had a URL that provided a GUI that took me to the server, requiring login/password protocol, and then provided me with shared folder access. Simple. Do any of your recommendations provide a user-friendly GUI for web access?

On #1, the client piece (called WHSconnector) interacted with the server, but the server controlled when backups would occur. I agree that it would be better for the client to initiate, but it would be good for OMV to notify that a "registered" client hadn't backed up recently. Maybe a plug-in for that? Your UrBackup Server plugin sounds interesting.

#5 answer is confusing me a bit. You mention three different things; usbbackup plugin, rsync, rsnapshot. Use all three?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Do all of these items that address my questions come as user friendly GUI's or are they command line type stuff?

They are all web interfaces

So, on #4, WHS had a URL that provided a GUI that took me to the server, requiring login/password protocol, and then provided me with shared folder access. Simple. Do any of your recommendations provide a user-friendly GUI for web access?

Owncloud is a browser based interface. winscp is a installable or portable windows program that accesses the server via ssh using a windows explorer type interface.

On #1, the client piece (called WHSconnector) interacted with the server, but the server controlled when backups would occur. I agree that it would be better for the client to initiate, but it would be good for OMV to notify that a "registered" client hadn't backed up recently. Maybe a plug-in for that? Your UrBackup Server plugin sounds interesting.

While I don't think it matters which initiates the backup, I just tried urbackup and the server initiates the backup.

#5 answer is confusing me a bit. You mention three different things; usbbackup plugin, rsync, rsnapshot. Use all three?

usbbackup is what you are looking for. I was just mentioning other ways to do backups of the server itself. The other two would make backups to an additional hard drive(s) in the server.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• You're responses have been great!! I think I'm getting there, with some understanding (and a bit of confidence)!

OK. So it sounds like all I need is OwnCloud or that plus winscp? Or did I miss something?

Beyond the features we've been discussing, another point of confusion when reading all the threads is what file system to use. CIFS, with or without ZFS, NFS, ???? I have multiple Windows PC clients and one MacBook Pro client that will be looking at the shared folders and files. What to do, what to do? Also, I was hoping to install the OS on a USB thumb drive, but it sounds like I should use a small SSD drive. My PowerEdge has space for that but I'll need to get an adapter kit to mount it in the chassis. What do you think?

• Offizieller Beitrag

OK. So it sounds like all I need is OwnCloud or that plus winscp? Or did I miss something?

WinSCP is easiest. Just enable ssh on the server and login with WinSCP.

what file system to use. CIFS, with or without ZFS, NFS, ????

CIFS and NFS are network file protocols. ZFS is the Linux filesystem on the hard drive. I would just put an ext4 filesystem on a hard drive, mount it, create a shared folder, enable samba (smb/cifs), and share that shared folder. Windows and Macs can both access samba shares on the server.

I was hoping to install the OS on a USB thumb drive

USB stick is fine as long as you install omv-extras and then the flashmemory plugin right away.

• Yikes! So, during the installation of OMV it couldn't configure DHCP so I said configure it later. Now I'm at the step to find a mirror of the Debian archive, and of course, I can't get to the Internet, so I get the "Bad archive mirror" error. What do I do now?

• OK. I've gotten all the way through the installation and have booted from my USB thumb drive (32G) successfully - I think. But now it's at the black and white screen saying "root@<my vault name>:~#" and there it sits. It was at my vault name login and asked for my login and password, stating the basic default that 'admin' and 'openmediavault' and when I put those in they apparently didn't work. I tried admin and the password I thought I set during setup, but that didn't work. So then I put in "root" and my root password and got that "root@<my vault name>:~#" line.

I'm stumped :(

• Offizieller Beitrag

You logged in as root. What are you trying to do? You should be able to access the web interface now. Login to the web interface with admin user and openmediavault password.

• Do what I did. Setup OMV and run WHS in a virtual machine. One of the things that Micro$oft did right was the client deduplicated backup. I believe it is patented also. Would be nice to see in linux so i could dump my WHS but so far the only thing i found was urbackup. It seems like a good system but does not seem very intuitive. WHS was a more set it and forget it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• For me Urbackup ist a much more versatile and still simpler method than the native Windows Backup. I use it here on all my Windows and Linux clients :)

@curious1
    You have to login via the Web Interface with your admin account, if you prefere a gui based Setup ;)

• Inline my answers

• So I finally bit the bullet and started using UrBackup. Finally dumped WHS2011 as a backup solution. However, since UrBackup does not do Single instance Storage I decided to run a separate box for just UrBackup on top of ZFS. Its running OMV 3 with UrBackup, and ZFS, data DeDuplication and compression turned on so as to mimic WHS2011 using less space for client images. So far working Have not tried to do a restore yet. Hopefully this weekend. Thank you all for your suggestions and your help. :thumbup:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!