UrBackup?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Please pay attention that the urbackup database is located under /var/urbackup and also writes much onto your USB stick and can fill up your file system.

That is the urbackup user's home directory. I have a feeling that if you stopped the service, usermod -m -d /path/to/new/homedir urbackup, and restarted the service, it would still work. That directory would need executable permissions though. So, a normal OMV created data drive would not work.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Clonezilla is for making disk images of unmounted drives on the local machine.

Urbackup is for automatic full and incremental file backup (Linux or Windows) or image backup (Windows only) on remote live machines.

Those are totally different purposes.

• I got Urbackup running last night.
    I created an admin account, and it's working fine.
    However, I'm try to create a user account with limit access.
    But can't log in as that user. It said session has been expired....

I gave the user with the following info:

Domain:

browse_backups,status,logs,progress

Tried None and All for "Rights" but it not working.

Basically, I want the user has only the above privileges, nothing else.

https://www.urbackup.org/administration_manual.html

Second question:
    Do I need to create a Nginx server settings in order to use SSL?

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370
    32GB RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von tinh_x7 ()

• Hello,

I'd like to join this thread and ask if there is any specific reason that urbackup and the OMV plugin are not available for the armel architecture? I'd like to run it on a NSA325.

I have not yet tried to compile urbackup from source, is there any specific problem?

Thanks,
    Andreas

• Offizieller Beitrag

if there is any specific reason that urbackup and the OMV plugin are not available for the armel architecture?

There is no urbackup package on the urbackup home page for armel. I am not compiling these packages. I just put them in our repo as built by urbackup.

I have not yet tried to compile urbackup from source, is there any specific problem?

I have never compiled the package. I'm guessing it would take forever though.

As for armel in general, I stopped building binary packages for armel. OMV 3.x doesn't even support the RPi1 really.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• That is the urbackup user's home directory. I have a feeling that if you stopped the service, usermod -m -d /path/to/new/homedir urbackup, and restarted the service, it would still work. That directory would need executable permissions though. So, a normal OMV created data drive would not work.

I'm just thinking about installing an UrBackup server on my BanaNAS.

But when reading, that it holds the database on the SD Card it gives me the shivers...

I don't know how heavy the write load on the SD card would be for a server, that's running idle most of the time and doing 1 or 2 backup jobs per day. Maybe one of you can give me some numbers here or could estimate if the SD card write counts could be a critical issue.

My main Backup HDD is spinned down most of the time to save energy and reduce load cycles. So redirecting the homedir to another drive could lead to more load cycles or (worst case) my Backup HDD would never spin down at all anymore.

Keeping it on the RAMdrive (using Folder2RAM) seems to unsave in case of a power loss and would not really reduce the SD card writes, as I would have to sync the RAMdrive to the SD card (or another place of the home directory) every now and then. But after all it sounds too dangerous to use F2RAM here...

Although I really like UrBackup from it's specs, hm :)

OMV 1.19 (OMV-Extras.org 1.34) | BanaNAS | 16GB microSD (using FlashMemory plugin) | 1TB SATA WD Blue Mobile

• Offizieller Beitrag

That is the urbackup user's home directory. I have a feeling that if you stopped the service, usermod -m -d /path/to/new/homedir urbackup, and restarted the service, it would still work. That directory would need executable permissions though. So, a normal OMV created data drive would not work.

Usermod did not work for me. However move the /var/urbackup directory somewhere else and symlink it ln -s /media/foo/urbackup /var/urbackup did the trick. I also removed the server_idents on the client and restarted the client. Not sure if this was really necessary.

Thanks to uroni from UrBackup!!!

• Clonezilla is for making disk images of unmounted drives on the local machine.

Urbackup is for automatic full and incremental file backup (Linux or Windows) or image backup (Windows only) on remote live machines.

Those are totally different purposes.

Excellent, concise explanation. Thank you.

From what you say, is it correct to infer that urbackup is also not for use with Macs because:

• You say just "Linux or Windows"?
    • It duplicates what Apple's Time Machine does?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!