UrBackup?

• I don't know the new plugin but UrBackup itself does not encrypt anything. It saves the files as they are on the drive. You may use btrfs to add compression and dm-crypt to add encryption.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have a question about the new plugin: Does this store data encrypted or every single file?

All the plugin does is basically install the server package and enable. Everything else is done in the UrBackup web interface. For anything else, check out the UrBackup documentation. It is good.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hey ryecoaaron.

Quick question. I enabled the urbackup plugin, installed the client onto my PC, and began the backup process. At 20.71GB of 276GB, it just stopped. I closed the UI and then tried to go back into it, but errors saying,
    This site can’t be reached
    192.168.1.15 refused to connect.

So, I looked at a couple of things, like file systems and physical drives, to see if maybe something was preventing the urbackup from running. I noticed that my 32GB (29.80GiB) USB boot stick (in file systems) showed only 13.77 GiB Total, 0 Available, and 13.04GiB Used.

So here are some questions:
    1. After getting all the HDDs setup with SnapRaid and grouped into a single "unit" with unionfilesystem, do you think that somehow affected my USB stick?
    2. If there is 0GiB available, will that affect the functionality?
    3. If I later obtain an SSD drive (with more capacity), to put in the box for booting OMV, is there a process for doing that, that doesn't screw everything up?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did you change the backup location? The thread about it, this is the first thing you should do.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Did you change the backup location? The thread about it, this is the first thing you should do.

So, you're saying that it may have started the backup on the USB stick? If that's the case, where would I make the change to the union-ed file system?

I still can't get to the webUI for urbackup.

I'll check on the other thread you indicated.

Update-
    OK. I see from the urbackup.org website that the backup location is set from the webGUI. So, then I have two questions:
    1. How do I get to the webGUI now that it is refusing to let me at it?
    2. If it was default saving to my USB boot stick, how do I delete the aborted backup that is now on it, in order to free the space again?

• Offizieller Beitrag

1 - urbackup is on port 55414 on your server's ip address - http://your-servers-ip-address:55414

2 - rm -rfv /media/BACKUP

• 1 - urbackup is on port 55414 on your server's ip address - your-servers-ip-address:55414

2 - rm -rfv /media/BACKUP

1. Changed the web port to 55415 (from 55414) and the webGUI came right up.
    2. Ran the rm -rfv /media/BACKUP command and it worked fine.

Did you change the backup location? The thread about it, this is the first thing you should do.

In looking at the location for the backups, urbackup is showing the default of /media/BACKUP/urbackup.

File Systems has /dev/sdb1, /dev/sdc1, /dev/sdd1 that are merged as Main Storage (my label) at "/media/93980402-a1ed-429d-9e4f-a999e4152edd".

Based on this, where would my backups be going, if urbackup is saying /media/BACKUP/urbackup? And if that path was going to the stick, how do I change it to go to the merged file system? (my logic would say that since the merged file system begins with /media... and the default in urbackup begins with /media ..., that the backups would go to the merged drives.)

• Offizieller Beitrag

/media/BACKUP is on the stick.
    /media is on the stick.
    /media/93980402-a1ed-429d-9e4f-a999e4152edd is on the mergerfs pool.

If you look in /media/, there are more than one long_uuid directory. One for each drive in the pool and one for the pool. Each drive is mounted at that location as well. /media/BACKUP could never be on a data drive mounted by OMV. Mountpoints are very different from Windows. Google how they work.

• /media/BACKUP is on the stick.
    /media is on the stick.
    /media/93980402-a1ed-429d-9e4f-a999e4152edd is on the mergerfs pool.

If you look in /media/, there are more than one long_uuid directory. One for each drive in the pool and one for the pool. Each drive is mounted at that location as well. /media/BACKUP could never be on a data drive mounted by OMV. Mount points are very different from Windows.

Hey, thanks for the response. And I did Google how mount points work. I get it.

It's the naming convention that has me confused. I figured that the stick's BACKUP path has UUID associated with it. Can I associate a name to my 93980402-a1ed-429d-9e4f-a999e4152edd UUID? Seems like every other UUID in file systems has that available.

So, if no short name identifier can be made, is it then correct that in urbackup's backup storage path, instead of /media/BACKUP/urbackup I would enter /media/93980402-a1ed-429d-9e4f-a999e4152edd/urbackup?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Can I associate a name to my 93980402-a1ed-429d-9e4f-a999e4152edd UUID? Seems like every other UUID in file systems has that available.

Yes but all filesystems mounted in OMV use the UUID. Install the symlinks plugin. Put /media/long_uuid in the source box and /media/whatever_you_wanted_name_it in the destination box.

is it then correct that in urbackup's backup storage path, instead of /media/BACKUP/urbackup I would enter /media/93980402-a1ed-429d-9e4f-a999e4152edd/urbackup?

Yes that is correct. You could symlink /media/93980402-a1ed-429d-9e4f-a999e4152edd/urbackup to /media/BACKUP/urbackup if you wanted.

• rm -rfv /media/BACKUP

We deleted the /media/BACKUP that ended up on the USB stick. I have symlinked my long UUID to MainStorage. So my new path will be /media/MainStorage.

But I think I need to create a directory called "urbackup" in that path, correct? (funny that the urbackup tool doesn't provide an option for creating a backup directory.)

If I mkdir /media/MainStorage/urbackup, will it be a visible directory to users or system directory that users don't see, similar to snapraid.content, which shows up when I list MainStorage from root but can't be seen by Windows users?

• Offizieller Beitrag

But I think I need to create a directory called "urbackup" in that path, correct?

I don't know. I don't use urbackup.

If I mkdir /media/MainStorage/urbackup, will it be a visible directory to users or system directory that users don't see, similar to snapraid.content, which shows up when I list MainStorage from root but can't be seen by Windows users?

Try it.

• Try it.

I did. And it created the directory, but it doesn't show up in the Windows file manager. Excellent.

Now, do you have any idea why my 32GB/29.80GiB stick only shows 13.77GiB total? When only 1.73GiB is shown as being used? I bet I clobbered it in someway with the errant urbackup.

Updated after Reply - Aw Snap!!! I have the created urbackup directory, but now it's a permission issue. How the heck do I set permissions on this new directory to allow urbackup to access it? I have signed into the forum for UrBackup, but that forum is full of questions and very little answers - terrible forum. So hopefully I can get an answer here. One thing that I did come across, is that someone created a User called urbackup and then provided permissions in the Shared Folders ... seems kind of sloppy.

• I have the created urbackup directory in my MainStorage (my mergerfs), but now I have a permission issue. How the heck do I set permissions on this new directory to allow urbackup to access it, and do its thing? I have signed into the forum for UrBackup, but that forum is full of questions and very little answers - terrible forum. So hopefully I can get an answer here. One thing that I did come across, is that someone created a User called urbackup and then provided permissions in the Shared Folders ... seems kind of sloppy.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Creating a urbackup user and giving that user permissions sounds like the perfect solution.

• Creating a urbackup user and giving that user permissions sounds like the perfect solution.

OK.

What I'm wondering is when the default installation occurs, and /media/BACKUP/urbackup is going to the bootable drive (or stick in my instance), why isn't a user name and permissions required there?

• rm -rfv /media/BACKUP

Question:

In using Locate and searching on "backup", I see that /media/BACKUP/urbackup still exists, even though I ran the referenced command. Since that is the case, could I symlink that path to my /media/MainStorage/urbackup directory and perhaps inherit the permissions? Or did that command remove the /urbackup directory (originally /media/BACKUP/urbackup) rendering the path useless for what I am trying to do?

Thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

What I'm wondering is when the default installation occurs, and /media/BACKUP/urbackup is going to the bootable drive (or stick in my instance), why isn't a user name and permissions required there?

Maybe because the urbackup package creates the folder and sets open permissions on it?

I see that /media/BACKUP/urbackup still exists

Maybe urbackup recreated it??

Why not create shared folder in the web interface and give it open permissions. Then change the path in urbackup to /media/long_udid_new_shared_folder

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!