My MediaServer

• Hi there,
    I just wanted to share my chap Homeserver-Setup with you all.

I just finished the setup, so now all works fine.
    I upgraded to OMV3, together with Hardwareupgrades, so basically I upgraded everything my Server.

One thing was very important for me: it had to be really inexpensive, as I have two kids and only one income…
    I got a Mainboard and CPU from a Friend, and had some HDDs lying around.

It’s now a AMD Phhenom 9650, 2300MHz Quadcore with 6GB DDR2 RAM.
    Internal HDDs are
    40GB IDE+80GB IDE for System and Systembackup.
    2x500GB, 2x1TB internal SATA HDDs in a LVM for 3TB internal Storage.
    3 USB Drives via USB3 for a total of 9TB Storage.
    I put everything in an old ATX-Case I had lying around, and so it stands in a closet and looks like this:

That brings me to a 12TB NAS without any redundancy or backup, so if something goes puff, bang or fltshkppprz, I’m loosing that Data, but there really only is Media on that Server, Movies, TV Shows (BluRay, DVD and TV-Rips), Fotos and Music, so nothing that is „really important absolutely can’t loose“…
    The Music and Fotos are copies of my iTunes Library, so at least that is safe…

The cool thing about my setup ist, that only the USB Drives cost money, the rest was laying around and it does the job very well.

I just installed OMV 3.0.43 and am quite happy with it. Everything seems to work fine, except, that there is no jDownloader for now (at least I can't find something).
    It is foremost a PlexMediaServer, so it stores transcodes Mediafiles and serves them to my AppleTV, iOS-Deiveces and MacBooks.
    It serves files via AFP, streams music through DAAP, receives Audio via Shairport.

Just wanted to let everybody know, that it can be real cheap to setup a quite capable NAS, for near about no money. The external USB-Drives aren't really needed, without them it would still be a 3GB NAS, Storage could also be added later.

OpenMediaVault 4
    AMD Phenom 2.3GHz, 6GB DDR2-RAM
    Internal (2TB+2TB+3TB) + External (2TB+1TB+4TB+4TB) = 9TB SnapRAID with 2x4TB Parity

• The cool thing about my setup ist, that only the USB Drives cost money, the rest was laying around and it does the job very well.

Nope. The CPU has a TDP of 95W. This it what costs money...

--
    Get a Rose Tattoo...

HP t5740 with Expansion and USB3, Inateck Case w/ 3TB WD-Green
    OMV 5.5.23-1 Usul i386|4.19.0-9-686-pae

• Good one…
    Well, that's the cost per year, wich is not that of a problem to me. Ok it's about 230€ per year… But that is calculated in my monthly budget. The cost for a newer CPU, Mainboard, RAM and additional stuff, to build a new Server with less Powerconsumption however, is not.
    Of course a more modern CPU would cost less per year and therefore safe money in longterm, but for now, I'm happy with my Server.

OpenMediaVault 4
    Internal (2TB+2TB+3TB) + External (2TB+1TB+4TB+4TB) = 9TB SnapRAID with 2x4TB Parity

• I just upgraded my Server with some new (old) Hardware! It‘s now a Intel Core i5 with 4 Cores and 2.67 GHz and 4GB DDR3 RAM.
    I believe it‘s much more enrgy-efficient and gets better performance.

Sadly, after one year of nearly no Problems one of my external HDDs died, seems like the USB-Board of the external HDD… Never again I will use storage without RAID…

At the moment I have a 80GB System-HDD, 2x500GB+1x1TB Internal HDDs in a SnapRAID with a 1TB external USB-Drive for 2TB RAID-Storage. And two external HDDs, 1x4TB and 1x2TB…

I now need to upgrade the internal HDDs for a couple of more TBs...

OpenMediaVault 4

• after one year of nearly no Problems one of my external HDDs died, seems like the USB-Board of the external HDD

Well, in the future you should focus on backup then (why RAID? This is just a waste of ressources for availability most probably not needed 'at home'?)

If it's the USB-to-SATA bridge that died why not buying something like this (I just did a quick search for USB-to-SATA chipsets known to work like JMS567). Such a Dock capable of both 2.5" and 3.5" that does not cripple disk access* is often useful for temporary storage tasks.

* 'crippled disk access' is implemented by a couple of disk enclosure firmwares. Eg. external Seagate disk enclosures eat each drive's last sector. So you run into troubles if you have a drive used on a SATA port before when you put it into an Seagate disk enclosure (which usually not happens though) but not vice versa.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!