No device showing up in file systems

• im new to linux and to open media vault so i might have made a mistake

i have an old laptop and i have installed open media vault on his sd card
    in the web gui i can see my hdd (500gb) but i cant add it in file systems. no device show up
    help? thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

If there is no data on it, wipe it in the Physical Disks tab.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• you probably need to provide more info about the system and your install.
    a screen-print or two might be helpful as well :-).

right off the bat, I may guess that your install is wrong.
    some older hardware can not boot from SD cards. OR during install the grub was setup on HDD instead of SD

what can you try to validate :
    #0. Check your BIOS setup to make sure your boot devices are in order of SD card / CD/dvd drive / HDD drive
    also see if SD card is a viable option for boot device.

#0.1 go to Command Line and do "lsblk" command if not working try login-in as root
    look over the mounted options in the output. make sure your boot/root partitions are in fact on SD card.
    as discussed above the install might have put your boot partition on to HDD MBR

#1 Pool the HDD out of laptop and see if it boots.

if option #1 left you with a non-booting system you may have your answer right there. not sure if it can be fixed without re-install , and if you do re install do so with no hard-drive attached. leave only SD card in the machine.
    once you have a working system, attach the HDD and see if it boots
    PS>> you might want to take the HDD to different system and do a new partition table on it before putting it back in the OMV. that might help improper booting form old MBR/boot partition.
    or you can simply take out SD card and boot the machine with Live CD to do harddrive change, than simply pop the SD card back and reboot.

omv 3.0.56 erasmus | 64 bit | 4.7 backport kernel
    SM-SC846(24 bay)| H8DME-2 |2x AMD Opteron Hex Core 2431 @ 2.4Ghz |49GB RAM
    PSU: Silencer 760 Watt ATX Power Supply
    IPMI |3xSAT2-MV8 PCI-X |4 NIC : 2x Realteck + 1 Intel Pro Dual port PCI-e card
    OS on 2×120 SSD in RAID-1 |
    DATA: 3x3T| 4x2T | 2x1T

• well it is because it already have a filesystem (vfat) and is already mounted
    try selecting it in Filesystem and see if you can unmount the device.
    once unmounted it should be available to change the FS as needed.

and you might also need to wipe the drive in physical disks section as per "ryecoaaron" suggestion before creating new file system if there is no data on it.

omv 3.0.56 erasmus | 64 bit | 4.7 backport kernel
    SM-SC846(24 bay)| H8DME-2 |2x AMD Opteron Hex Core 2431 @ 2.4Ghz |49GB RAM
    PSU: Silencer 760 Watt ATX Power Supply
    IPMI |3xSAT2-MV8 PCI-X |4 NIC : 2x Realteck + 1 Intel Pro Dual port PCI-e card
    OS on 2×120 SSD in RAID-1 |
    DATA: 3x3T| 4x2T | 2x1T

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!