Technically possible? (System on 2 mirrored 32Gb-SSDs via USB3)

• OMV 3.x
    • Resolved
    • Technically possible? (System on 2 mirrored 32Gb-SSDs via USB3)

Hello,

currently I'm running my NAS on freeNAS, but I'm not really comfortable with freeBSD, so I'm thinking about a change to OMV. The problem is that my Asrock E3C224D2I Mainboard "only" has 6 SATA Ports, all used by (mirrored) Data-Disks. My current system runs via two mirrored usb-sticks - which is totaly fine with freeNAS. But then I read the instructions that you shouldn't use (non slc) sticks for OMV. So here is the question:

Is it technically possible to connect two 32Gb SSD disks via USB3 and install OMV on one of them, and mirror the system also to the second disk? (current setup with sticks on freeNAS) Because I don't want to loose those sata ports from my data disks to a system disk, but I also want to have a runnable system if one disk fails.

Otherwise, maybe you can provide a managable way for me to keep the system disk bakuped(correct wording?) and restorable in case of failures...

Thanks in advance!
    • NAS_woody wrote:

But then I read the instructions that you shouldn't use (non slc) sticks for OMV
      It is fine with the flashmemory plugin.

NAS_woody wrote:

Is it technically possible to connect two 32Gb SSD disks via USB3 and install OMV on one of them, and mirror the system also to the second disk?
      Yep. This is how I would do it:

First, install Debian Jessie from netinst ISO (minimal install) which will allow you to setup a mirror of the boot drives.

Shell-Script

1. echo "deb http://packages.openmediavault.org/public erasmus main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list
      2. apt-get update
      3. apt-get install openmediavault-keyring postfix
      4. apt-get update
      5. apt-get install openmediavault
      6. omv-initsystem
      Then install omv-extras so you can install flashmemory

Shell-Script

1. wget http://omv-extras.org/omvextras3.deb
      2. dpkg -i omvextras3.deb
      3. apt-get -f install
      4. omv-aptclean
      5. apt-get install openmediavault-flashmemory

Login to the web interface and enable the flashmemory plugin and configure other items.
      omv 4.0.5 arrakis | 64 bit | 4.12 backports kernel | omvextrasorg 4.0.2
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers

Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!