OMV 3.0 after OMV 2.0

• OMV 3.x

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• OMV 3.0 after OMV 2.0

Hello.

I have successfully installed OMV 2.2.11 (after updates) into my new PowerEdge T20 with four 1TB drives and the OS/OMV on a 32GB USB stick (with flashmemory installed). In preparing to setup my drives with SnapRAID, backup, and users, I was studying threads regarding BTRFS, became intrigued, and want to go that route. Both VotDev and ryecoaaron have encouraged the use of OMV 3 (both of these folks, BTW, have been outstanding in their patience, direction, and help!). Now that I have gone through nearly two weeks of "pain" to get 2.2.11 up and running (including getting my confidence up and running :D ), I am a bit more comfortable now with the OMV system.

So I haven't been able to find a thread that gives guidance on this, so being the beginner I am, I'll ask this here:
      Does the move from OMV 2 to OMV 3 require starting completely over? In other words, do I remove my HDDs, put in a new stick, and begin again?
      Or is there a path to get from version 2 to version 3 without going through that? I'm not afraid to do that, I just want to know.

My desire is to be setup for future improvements that are the promise of version 3 and btrfs.

Thanks
    • It works like the upgrade from OMV 1.x to 2.x with 2 simple commands:

omv-update and after that omv-release-upgrade

But before you do this, please post the following output here because not all plugins are available within the newest OMV 3.x version:
      dpkg -l | grep openm
      OMV stoneburner | HP Microserver | 256GB Samsung 830 SSD for system | 4x 2TB in a RAID5
      OMV erasmus| Odroid XU4 | 5TB Data drive | 500GB Backup drive
    • WastlJ wrote:

But before you do this, please post the following output here because not all plugins are available within the newest OMV 3.x version:
      dpkg -l | grep openm
      Here are the results for dpkg -l | grep openm

ii openmediavault 2.2.11 all
      Open network attached storage solution
      ii openmediavault-flashmemory 1.92 all
      folder2ram plugin for OpenMediaVault
      ii openmediavault-keyring .04 all
      GnuPG archive keys of the OpenMediaVault archive
      ii openmediavault-omvextrasorg 2.13.4 all
      OMV-Extras.org Package Repositories for OpenMediaVault

And I'll be using a backup plugin for the server, and for clients. Also be using SSH

What now?
    • WastlJ wrote:

Everything you have installed is compatible with OMV 3.x. So you can succeed with omv-update && omv-release-upgrade
      Here is the message I received:

Upgrading system to 3.0 (Erasmus) ...
      removed '/var/cache/openmediavault/archives/openmediavault_3.0.47_all.deb'
      sed: can't read /etc/apt/apt.conf: No such file or directory
      run-parts: /tmp/tmp.WJtcY6JLbE/pre.d/20-apt-update-source-list exited with return code 2

Yeesh. Now what?

The post was edited 1 time, last by curious1: now irreleveant ().

• gderf wrote:

Try this from a shell:

sudo touch /etc/apt/apt.conf

Then rerun the commands to upgrade.
      Didn't expect anyone to respond so quickly. So I re-ran omv-update. It is going through its paces right now, taking much longer to get and unpack than it did the first time. I will then rerun the omv-release-upgrade. If it fails again, I'll do what you suggested. Unless you think I should do that before running omv-release-upgrade.

The post was edited 1 time, last by curious1: grammar ().

• omv-release-upgrade shouldn't be run twice. If it fails the first time, the repos are changed. So, omv-update is doing what omv-release-upgrade would've done (for the most part).
      omv 4.0.11 arrakis | 64 bit | 4.13 backports kernel | omvextrasorg 4.1.0
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers

Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • Hi ryecoaaron :) . I'm glad you said that. Because it definitely looks like it is loading. Yes, just as I'm writing this, the screen is scrolling through a list of "Installing ..." items.

ryecoaaron wrote:

So, omv-update is doing what omv-release-upgrade would've done (for the most part).
      So which parts aren't in "the most part" that I should be looking in to? What should I then expect?
    • curious1 wrote:

So which parts aren't in "the most part" that I should be looking in to? What should I then expect?
      How did I know you were going to ask that... I just meant it isn't exactly the same. It doesn't change repos but the part of omv-release-upgrade that did finish did change the repos. So, omv-update is all you need.
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers

• curious1 wrote:

would you have any idea why my designation changed from Beginner to Student?
      Purely number of posts.

• curious1 wrote:

So I re-ran omv-update. It is going through its paces right now, taking much longer to get and unpack than it did the first time.

ryecoaaron wrote:

omv-release-upgrade shouldn't be run twice. If it fails the first time, the repos are changed. So, omv-update is doing what omv-release-upgrade would've done
      So, it has been 2 hours now, since I began my rerun of omv-update, which is completing the work left by the incomplete omv-release-upgrade (thanks, ryecoaaron for that info). Still going strong on the update. I'll post the time for completion when it's over, just in case others are looking for that experience.
    • curious1 wrote:

So, it has been 2 hours now, since I began my rerun of omv-update, which is completing the work left by the incomplete omv-release-upgrade
      OK. 4 hours now (started this thing at 10:00am PDT and it is currently 2:00pm) and still going strong on the omv-update from version 2.2.11 to 3.0.47. Could be that since I have OMV on a 32GB USB stick that it's taking more time than normal. This box is a Xeon processor with 20GB of RAM. But then again, I don't have a clue as to what is supposed to be normal.
    • curious1 wrote:

OK. 4 hours now (started this thing at 10:00am PDT and it is currently 2:00pm) and still going strong on the omv-update from version 2.2.11 to 3.0.47. Could be that since I have OMV on a 32GB USB stick that it's taking more time than normal. This box is a Xeon processor with 20GB of RAM. But then again, I don't have a clue as to what is supposed to be normal.
      OK. Finally completed. I had to leave between 4:00pm and 6:00pm, so having started at 10:00am, it took somewhere between 6 and 8 hours. The final screen shows:

Errors were encountered while processing:
      monit
      openmediavault
      Creating index of upgradeable packages ...
      Creating index of openmediavault plugins ...
      E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

WebGUI doesn't immediately come up, so I'll have to do some omv-firstaid.