OMV 3.0 after OMV 2.0

• Offizieller Beitrag

No idea. I actually never look at the referenced column. I would wipe those drives in the Physical Devices tab though.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Good to hear. I may not be on much the rest of the day. It is beer:30

Oops. Missed that, but I am completely behind it :thumbup: . So far, I have redone three of the drives with btrfs without a problem, but the one that says it is referenced won't let me do anything, at least from the web interface. Question: if I am successful in reformatting that drive and there was a valid reference on it, will that cause a problem or will I just need to reinstall something (assuming the system will tell me something is amiss)?

• I would wipe those drives in the Physical Devices tab though.

Sorry, I got a couple of these responses out of sync. I'll do the wipe, and that should take care of it. But I'll still probably have the question of if I am successful in reformatting that drive and there was a valid reference on it, will that cause a problem or will I just need to reinstall something (assuming the system will tell me something is amiss)?

Well, nuts, it won't let me wipe it in Physical Disks either. I'll go to the command line and try to do something there. Probably use the dd command or sudo dd command.

• So, I have everything almost perfect (except for a Reference on one of my drives that I can't figure out). I have chronicled most of the drive issues here.

I will say that installing OMV 3.0.36 and then updating from the command line, as laid out by ryecoaaron, works like a charm (just a couple of minor glitches that were posted in this thread). And between my using a USB 3.0 stick (as opposed to the 2.0 stick I used during my problematic installation OMV Stone Burner) and installing Erasmus (3.0.47), this thing is really fast and has eliminated all of the phantom WebGUI errors that we were getting in OMV 2.x.

But, now that I have BTRFS formatted on all the drives, I can implement SnapRaid, set up Users, Backup, and move my files that were backed up from my failed HPMediaServer that got this whole OMV thing started in the first place.

Thanks, everyone, for all the help so far - especially ryecoaaron (even though I know I tried your patience several times ;( ). I am sure I will need further help going forward.

• ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.23
    route add default 192.168.1.1
    echo "nameserver 8.8.8.8" > /etc/resolv.conf

On Saturday, you had me run "dhclient -v eth0", which I did and we seemed to have established a network connection.

I haven't tried that again, but ran your second suggestion above. the first command came back without a problem, but when I ran "route add default 192.168.1.1" it came back with No such device. But that is the address for my router. Did I do something wrong?

update-
    just ran dhclient -v eth0 again and got the internet connection. Now I want to convert it to static.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Should be
    route add default gw 192.168.1.1

But
    you should be editing all this from the omv web interface and not need to do any of this from command line

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• you should be editing all this from the omv web interface and not need to do any of this from command line

The default server IP, default gateway, DNS servers, etc. are all configured in the web UI, and all the standard usages seem ok.

The two things I am struggling with now are the inability to install backports, and can't seem to get my mail setup to send a test message successfully (that is, I can send it successfully, but it's not being received).

• The two things I am struggling with now are the inability to install backports, and can't seem to get my mail setup to send a test message successfully (that is, I can send it successfully, but it's not being received).

Well, mail notifications are working - there was just a huge latency between the time I got it setup, and when the test messages finally arrive in my email. AND I'm already getting system notifications.

Now, if I could just get backports working ...

Oh, and I also need to setup backup for the server, as well as individual users' PCs.

• Going to try OMV 2 to 3 upgrade. Will take a clonezilla image beforehand. VM route is too problematic since i can't re-create the data disks and so all the plugins don't work. here's the output of my installed packages, please advise if any are NOT OMV 3 ready. Thank you!

ii openmediavault 2.2.9 all Open network attached storage solution
    ii openmediavault-backup 1.0.11 all backup plugin for OpenMediaVault.
    ii openmediavault-calibre 1.1 all Calibre plugin for OpenMediaVault.
    ii openmediavault-couchpotato 1.0.3 all OpenMediaVault CouchPotatoServer plugin
    ii openmediavault-headphones 1.0.2 all OpenMediaVault Headphones plugin
    ii openmediavault-keyring 0.4 all GnuPG archive keys of the OpenMediaVault archive
    ii openmediavault-omvextrasorg 2.13.2 all OMV-Extras.org Package Repositories for OpenMediaVault
    ii openmediavault-plexmediaserver 1.0.15 all OpenMediaVault Plex Media Server plugin
    ii openmediavault-sickbeard 1.0.10 all OpenMediaVault Sick Beard plugin
    ii openmediavault-snapraid 1.5 all snapraid plugin for OpenMediaVault.
    ii openmediavault-transmissionbt 1.4 all OpenMediaVault Transmission (BitTorrent client) plugin.
    ii openmediavault-unionfilesystems 2.3 all Union filesystems plugin for OpenMediaVault.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Why can't you create the data disks on a VM? They don't have to be the same size.

calibre and headphones aren't ported.

• Thanks, any idea when calibre and headphones will be ported?

RE Data Disks... very much possible... I just hadn't thought it through completely out of laziness. On first thought, OMV sees the new disks with different UUID so there is some re-jigging that is needed. Unless there's a way to change/map that (I am not overly familiar with Debian).

To be honest though, the main driver for upgrading is simply to get past the issue with MergerFS (the underlying FUSE Library) crashing and disconnecting the filesystem. The answer seems to be to upgrade libfuse but then it requires libc to be upgraded and then that requires more etc. and at that point my comfort level of doing non-recommended things with the system gets too high (it's simpler to just schedule a nightly reboot).

• Offizieller Beitrag

any idea when calibre and headphones will be ported?

calibre is on my list of plugins that I won't be supporting anymore. So, unless someone else picks it up, it won't happen. You can manually install it or use docker.

No idea about headphones.

• To be honest though, the main driver for upgrading is simply to get past the issue with MergerFS (the underlying FUSE Library) crashing and disconnecting the filesystem.

Have you tried installing the backports kernel? This upgrades libfuse to 2.9.3. And brings the kernel to 3.16.

I've been running OMV 2.x for ~4 weeks and I had the file system crash on me ~3 times. Quite annoying because Emby instantly detects the folders being offline and I have to rebuild the libraries :/

Been on 2.9.3 for a couple of days, so early days yet, but hopefully it works. Would be nice if upgrading to 2.9.4 was possible.

• Tried that but not sure if I did something wrong or not. As soon as I did the backports kernel a bunch of stuff stopped working. I'l try looking for guides on it and see if I missed something and went for too much.

• Did backports again and it seems like the only problem was that the data disks will not auto-mount anymore. When I do a "mount -a" the only message is from FUSE about a non-empty mount point but then file systems do end up mounting.

Any ideas, how to fix that?

• Offizieller Beitrag

OMV doesn't know it is in a virtual machine. So, I don't understand why it would fail on grub. After omv-release-upgrade, try update-grub to see what kind of output you get.

• Ok, i´ve tried again and did get this error:

Code
    Errors were encountered while processing:
     openmediavault
    Creating index of upgradeable packages ...
    Creating index of openmediavault plugins ...
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

The purged and reinstalled openmediavault without reboot.

After that i rebooted and get the grub rescue screen.

No ssh connection possible to send the command.

ls in grub rescue shows me:

Code
    (hd0) (hd0,msdos5) (hd0,msdos1)
  • what drive emulation do you use in your VirtualBox VM ?
    if it is anything but SCSI or Virtio you might get problems with Debian Jessie (which is what OMV 3 is based on.)
    don't know why it is, but last time I tried setting up OMV 3 in VirtualBox vm it only worked on SCSI drives.
    when I set IDE or SATA it would blow up the install. similar to what you getting.

OMV 2 worked fine though.

omv 3.0.56 erasmus | 64 bit | 4.7 backport kernel
    SM-SC846(24 bay)| H8DME-2 |2x AMD Opteron Hex Core 2431 @ 2.4Ghz |49GB RAM
    PSU: Silencer 760 Watt ATX Power Supply
    IPMI |3xSAT2-MV8 PCI-X |4 NIC : 2x Realteck + 1 Intel Pro Dual port PCI-e card
    OS on 2×120 SSD in RAID-1 |
    DATA: 3x3T| 4x2T | 2x1T

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!