OMV 3.0 after OMV 2.0

• Hello.

I have successfully installed OMV 2.2.11 (after updates) into my new PowerEdge T20 with four 1TB drives and the OS/OMV on a 32GB USB stick (with flashmemory installed). In preparing to setup my drives with SnapRAID, backup, and users, I was studying threads regarding BTRFS, became intrigued, and want to go that route. Both VotDev and ryecoaaron have encouraged the use of OMV 3 (both of these folks, BTW, have been outstanding in their patience, direction, and help!). Now that I have gone through nearly two weeks of "pain" to get 2.2.11 up and running (including getting my confidence up and running :D ), I am a bit more comfortable now with the OMV system.

So I haven't been able to find a thread that gives guidance on this, so being the beginner I am, I'll ask this here:
    Does the move from OMV 2 to OMV 3 require starting completely over? In other words, do I remove my HDDs, put in a new stick, and begin again?
    Or is there a path to get from version 2 to version 3 without going through that? I'm not afraid to do that, I just want to know.

My desire is to be setup for future improvements that are the promise of version 3 and btrfs.

Thanks

• It works like the upgrade from OMV 1.x to 2.x with 2 simple commands:

omv-update and after that omv-release-upgrade

But before you do this, please post the following output here because not all plugins are available within the newest OMV 3.x version:
    dpkg -l | grep openm

• But before you do this, please post the following output here because not all plugins are available within the newest OMV 3.x version:
    dpkg -l | grep openm

Here are the results for dpkg -l | grep openm

ii openmediavault 2.2.11 all
    Open network attached storage solution
    ii openmediavault-flashmemory 1.92 all
    folder2ram plugin for OpenMediaVault
    ii openmediavault-keyring .04 all
    GnuPG archive keys of the OpenMediaVault archive
    ii openmediavault-omvextrasorg 2.13.4 all
    OMV-Extras.org Package Repositories for OpenMediaVault

And I'll be using a backup plugin for the server, and for clients. Also be using SSH

What now?

• Everything you have installed is compatible with OMV 3.x. So you can succeed with omv-update && omv-release-upgrade

Here is the message I received:

Upgrading system to 3.0 (Erasmus) ...
    removed '/var/cache/openmediavault/archives/openmediavault_3.0.47_all.deb'
    sed: can't read /etc/apt/apt.conf: No such file or directory
    run-parts: /tmp/tmp.WJtcY6JLbE/pre.d/20-apt-update-source-list exited with return code 2

Yeesh. Now what?

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von curious1 () aus folgendem Grund: now irreleveant

• Try this from a shell:

sudo touch /etc/apt/apt.conf

Then rerun the commands to upgrade.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Try this from a shell:

sudo touch /etc/apt/apt.conf

Then rerun the commands to upgrade.

Didn't expect anyone to respond so quickly. So I re-ran omv-update. It is going through its paces right now, taking much longer to get and unpack than it did the first time. I will then rerun the omv-release-upgrade. If it fails again, I'll do what you suggested. Unless you think I should do that before running omv-release-upgrade.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von curious1 () aus folgendem Grund: grammar

• Offizieller Beitrag

omv-release-upgrade shouldn't be run twice. If it fails the first time, the repos are changed. So, omv-update is doing what omv-release-upgrade would've done (for the most part).

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hi ryecoaaron :) . I'm glad you said that. Because it definitely looks like it is loading. Yes, just as I'm writing this, the screen is scrolling through a list of "Installing ..." items.

So, omv-update is doing what omv-release-upgrade would've done (for the most part).

So which parts aren't in "the most part" that I should be looking in to? What should I then expect?

• Offizieller Beitrag

So which parts aren't in "the most part" that I should be looking in to? What should I then expect?

How did I know you were going to ask that... I just meant it isn't exactly the same. It doesn't change repos but the part of omv-release-upgrade that did finish did change the repos. So, omv-update is all you need.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

would you have any idea why my designation changed from Beginner to Student?

Purely number of posts.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You going to be online all day?

Nope. I see beer in my near future :)

• So I re-ran omv-update. It is going through its paces right now, taking much longer to get and unpack than it did the first time.

omv-release-upgrade shouldn't be run twice. If it fails the first time, the repos are changed. So, omv-update is doing what omv-release-upgrade would've done

So, it has been 2 hours now, since I began my rerun of omv-update, which is completing the work left by the incomplete omv-release-upgrade (thanks, ryecoaaron for that info). Still going strong on the update. I'll post the time for completion when it's over, just in case others are looking for that experience.

• So, it has been 2 hours now, since I began my rerun of omv-update, which is completing the work left by the incomplete omv-release-upgrade

OK. 4 hours now (started this thing at 10:00am PDT and it is currently 2:00pm) and still going strong on the omv-update from version 2.2.11 to 3.0.47. Could be that since I have OMV on a 32GB USB stick that it's taking more time than normal. This box is a Xeon processor with 20GB of RAM. But then again, I don't have a clue as to what is supposed to be normal.

• Offizieller Beitrag

sounds like a slow stick.

• OK. 4 hours now (started this thing at 10:00am PDT and it is currently 2:00pm) and still going strong on the omv-update from version 2.2.11 to 3.0.47. Could be that since I have OMV on a 32GB USB stick that it's taking more time than normal. This box is a Xeon processor with 20GB of RAM. But then again, I don't have a clue as to what is supposed to be normal.

OK. Finally completed. I had to leave between 4:00pm and 6:00pm, so having started at 10:00am, it took somewhere between 6 and 8 hours. The final screen shows:

Errors were encountered while processing:
    monit
    openmediavault
    Creating index of upgradeable packages ...
    Creating index of openmediavault plugins ...
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

WebGUI doesn't immediately come up, so I'll have to do some omv-firstaid.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would try:

omv-mkconf monit
    apt-get -f install

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!