Intel Core2DUO T7300 support

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Intel Core2DUO T7300 support

Hi all

I have built my OMV NAS, and it runs perfect, but I have noticed a high energy use compared with my HP Microserver, and I think it is becouse my Intel Core2Duo T7300 is not supported by any CPU governor. More specifially it does not charge the required module and then it runs always at 2k Mhz.
      I have checked several debian forums but I still cannot find how to make it slow down, and so use less energy.

Any plan to support this cpu in the near future? Or any tip to make it work?

Thanks in advance.
    • Re: Intel Core2DUO T7300 support

Already tried installing "cpufrequtils" on the CLI?

Source Code

1. apt-get install cpufrequtils

Don't know, if your cpu is supported, but it's worth a try.
      "Glowing days. Don't cry because they are over. Smile because they happened." - Confucius

Server: 1x 32GB SSD (system) - 5x 2TB Data - 1x 2TB Snapraid-Parity - latest OMV 1.x
      No Support through PM
      Tutorials --- Howto install OMV-Extras --- Upgrade/Update-Problems --- If autoshutdown doesn' -work

"Solo0815" wrote:

Already tried installing "cpufrequtils" on the CLI?

Source Code

1. apt-get install cpufrequtils

Don't know, if your cpu is supported, but it's worth a try.

This package is already installed. The default governor is 'conservative'. If you want to use a different one then add the env. variable

Source Code

1. OMV_CPUFREQUTILS_GOVERNOR="xxx"

to /etc/default/openmediavault.
      Absolutely no support through PM!

I must not fear.
      Fear is the mind-killer.
      Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
      I will face my fear.
      I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
      And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
      Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
      Only I will remain.

Litany against fear by Bene Gesserit

"Pueseso" wrote:

Hi all

I have built my OMV NAS, and it runs perfect, but I have noticed a high energy use compared with my HP Microserver,

Can you please tell me the configurtion of your Microserver ? Is it a N36 / N40L or N54L one ?

Next pls name how many watts your HP consumes, bcs I'm disappointed about the reading of my wattmeter which shows 38 W for
      my N40L, 2GB, 2 X 3,5" HD's total , no extra cards installed.

Some user in different forums talked about 25 watt. See f.i. youtube.com/watch?v=FSmPY_Xvnoo

Till now i thought my wattmeter is a quality one ? !

"tekkbebe" wrote:

I hate to say this but this laptop cpu is not very good.

Well, it is a matter of opinions.
      It has 2 cores, 4 MB of L2 cache and can go down to 250Mhz if properly managed by acpi.
      Also it has enough power to run a NAS so in my opinion for this purpose it is quite adequate.

"willri" wrote:

"Pueseso" wrote:

Hi all

I have built my OMV NAS, and it runs perfect, but I have noticed a high energy use compared with my HP Microserver,

Can you please tell me the configurtion of your Microserver ? Is it a N36 / N40L or N54L one ?

Next pls name how many watts your HP consumes, bcs I'm disappointed about the reading of my wattmeter which shows 38 W for
      my N40L, 2GB, 2 X 3,5" HD's total , no extra cards installed.

Some user in different forums talked about 25 watt. See f.i. youtube.com/watch?v=FSmPY_Xvnoo

Till now i thought my wattmeter is a quality one ? !

I have 2 NASes, a N40L which could go down to 38Watts (I think those are good enough figures) and a DIY NAS with a Core2DUO T7300. This second one can go up to double those numbers.
      I have found that a proper power states of the disks can affect very much to the overall consumption. My 3 TB disks can go up to 20W each or down to almost nothing in standby. As they are 4 the NAS consumption as a variability of 80Watts just on the disks (not counting the Watts used by the CPU).
      Other big power eaters are motherboards and the PSU. The smallest the PSU the better (apart from efficiency of course)
      I am collecting more properly both NASes consumption to make a good case but I think that what is killing my wallet right now is the CPU management (or absence of).

P.S.:You can find the MAX Watts your disks can eat in the sticker on the disk.
      MAX Watts = (5volts x n.nnAmps) + (12volts x n.nnAmps)
      This simple equation will let u know your disks max Watts usage.

Hope this helps