NEW NAS - guidance needed

• hello everyone -

I just got an HP Proliant micro gen8, and have installed a disk to the odd.
    After some days of testing XPEnology with issues, fan speed, harddrives not sleeping etc etc

i tried to give OMV a go.... to see if this is more satisfactory.
    its currently running version 2. and just booted the first time after installing updates.

here it is.

floppy/SATA cable bougth for 4$ ( https://www.aliexpress.com/ite…5Pin-22P/32690008753.html )

Now to the questions if its okay with you guys. I need to be guided a bit from what to do with the setup moving forward
    Im normally google, read/understand/trial&error before I ask questions, but you guys might help me on the right track to not spend alot of time doing useless things.
    since some of you probably done is a few times ^^

before I start diwing into the plugins world/virtualbox etc here a some thoughts:

Need to have:

Abillity to share mediafiles over LAN/wifi. ( LCD-TV with Nvidia Shield currently. but cheap tablets/mobiles/android/mp3 player devices are also potential clients ) :?:
    Abillity to stream mp3 up to HIGH-HD-mediacontent to tablets/pc/mobiles/android devices in general on LAN/wifi :?:
    Abillity to transfer LARGE files from far away location to the server using the internet ( advanced FTP i suspect ) :?:
    Abillity to sync files/folders between different servers/pc to server over the internet :?:
    A "Dropbox" funtionality :?:

Nice to have:
    Abillity to stream HDmediacontent and files from the server to devices using the internet. ( play movies on our vacation house )

What I understand is needed.

OMV as NAS and OS, can do most of the things listed.
    OMV Virtualbox with windows7, running with advanced FTP and PLEX for the rest.

What I your input ? on this..

Am I way off, what would you do ?

thanks..

• Hi, im newbie also.

You don't need to virtualize windows for that purpose.

omv is all you need, and plex as you mentioned for streaming content.

For syncing, rclone sync.

Take your time to read guide section, i did, and in a couple of hours it clears your mind.

Cheers.

• thats what i thought..
    I just copied someones setup as a start.

im all in the manuals and hox-to at the moment, and my wife is complaining shes lonely so thats a good sign of commitment and focus from my side.

• For media streamer, install Plex Media Server or Emby.
    For remote access storage or share data like Dropbox then install NextCloud or Seafile or Pydio manually.

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370
    32GB RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!