USB File Transfers from a Backup Drive into Shared Folders

• OK. I haven't seen anything on this, so here goes.

I had a USB backup drive that I used with my now defunct HP Media Server (Windows based). Tens of thousands of files arranged in multiple folders. I have replicated those same folders in Shared Folders as SMB/CIFS. All those folders/directories now show up in my PC under Networks in File Explorer.

I had transferred the contents of a backup folder into the new Shared Folder of the same name by plugging the backup drive into my PC, bringing up two File Explorer windows, selecting all from the backup folder, and then copying it to the new Shared Folder. All from my PC. But that seemed slow, and definitely clogged up my internet.

Is there a webGUI that would allow me to plug the backup drive into my OMV box, and perform a similar operation without passing it through my PC? And if that is not available, is there a command sequence from root that would let me do that?

I'd appreciate any input.

• You can ssh to your box and type mc that will bring up midnight commander. This is an old school file manager and you can use it to copy your files from a drive to an other. You will find your drives unde /media

Or you can install eXtplorer plug-in which is a web based file manager.

• OMVextras for OMV 3.x are just a bit different than in OMV 2.x, and not everything that was available in 2.x is in 3.x. There are multiple repos, most with a "testing" version. I'll do some hunting around and see if eXtplorer is in one of the repos I haven't loaded yet. Thanks

• Have a look at the openmediavault-usbbackup plugin.

Don't know if this will work. I can set my from/to, external storage device, and my shared folder, but don't see how to specify the folder in my external storage device. I want to be able to, as an example, copy files from <external storage device>/documents to <OMV Shared Folder>/documents.

Any input would be appreciated.

• Offizieller Beitrag

see if eXtplorer is in one of the repos I haven't loaded yet

It hasn't been ported. You don't have to enable repo to check. Just look on bintray.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• It hasn't been ported. You don't have to enable repo to check.

Thanks. Yeah, I did the checking and also ran across another reply of yours that it hadn't been ported.

I did successfully use Rsync once to copy the contents of a directory from my backup drive to the Shared Folder. I simply plugged in the USB drive, mounted it, created a Shared Folder and then ran Rsync to copy from one to the other. So, then I created shares for all of the remaining directories on the USB drive, but then when I opened Rsync, I got an exception error:
    "Error #0:
    exception 'OMV\Config\DatabaseException' with message 'Failed to execute XPath query '//system/shares/sharedfolder[uuid='088d3e9f-375c-485f-a280-197418eccac3']'.' in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/config/database.inc:78
    Stack trace:
    #0 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/rsync.inc(77): OMV\Config\Database->get('conf.system.sha...', '088d3e9f-375c-4...')
    #1 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceRsync->getList(Array, Array)
    #2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(124): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #3 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(84): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('getList', Array, Array)
    #4 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(516): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('Rsync', 'getList', Array, Array, 1)
    #5 {main}"

Have no idea what I did wrong. What I can do now is just copy files from one share to the other in Windows File Explorer. But what I notice is that copying in File Explorer is a lot slower than using Rsync. I just can't seem to figure out what I did wrong. Any ideas?

Added to post:
    On the one Rsync that worked, I created a Shared Folder to match the USB drive folder, and successfully copied with the plugin. Then I went back and deleted the Shared Folder. Perhaps I messed up the known shares somehow.

Should I Uninstall Rsync and then re-install it?

• OK. I see that rsync is essentially built-in to OMV ... not a plugin. So can't uninstall it. I saw on another thread that I should delete everything between <jobs> and </jobs> in the rsync section of /etc/openmediavault/config.xml. Looking for an editor that will allow me to do that without a lot of messing around (oh the joys of being a complete neophyte in the Linux world ;( ).

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!