Which version of OMV for netatalk lower than 3.0?

• Hi everyone!

I consider building a NAS for OMV. But there are a few things I need to know prior to buying hardware:
    • Which version of OMV do I need if I require netatalk lower than 3.0 for my AFP needs?
    • How do I activate and configure netatalk as print server? Is it possible to do this through the web interface or is there some way to edit the related files and access the command shell?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Omv 2.0 uses the old legacy netatalk (2.x) package from Debian wheezy.
    Print server for AFP is not provided. I have no idea how it works but maybe using the extra options for the server configuration should be enough. Why would you use AFP instead of cups?

• I have an old Apple LaserWriter 4/600 PS that only speaks AppleTalk, but not over TCP/IP. Now my old NAS broke I'd like to have a new one serving as print server as well. It only needs to be able to speak AppleTalk with the printer. Sharing of the printer to other machines can be any way OS X understands. So cups would be fine for that.

Furthermore I want to be able to access the NAS via AFP (over TCP/IP) from OS X as well as AFP (NOT over TCP/IP) from pre-OS X (System 7 and the like) via emulators.

The way OS 9 and lower store resource forks and metadata on non-HFS volumes differs from how OS X is doing that. However, for both this can be handled by the NAS as long as both access the NAS via AFP. That is why I need an old version of netatalk. The new ones only provide AppleTalk over TCP/IP (and don't call it AppleTalk anymore).

• After installing OMV 2.0 in a virtual machine and trying some things, I figured that it only allows AppleTalk over TCP/IP but not over DDP. Netatalk 2.x supports that. But whenever I activate it in netatalk via the terminal, OMV automatically disables it after a little while.

The solution I found for my problem is called A2SERVER, an AppleTalk file server suitable for all versions of Mac OS. It is free to download as VM or installer for Ubuntu/Debian, even for a Raspberry Pi. In order to serve as print server for AppleTalk printers as well, CUPS needs to be installed and a few settings have to be changed. It works fine in a VM for testing and I will shortly buy a Raspberry Pi/Banana Pi and set it up on that one.

For anyone interested: I'll probably write a guide for emaculation.com .

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!