2 HD, only 1 Volume

• Ok, I'm poor, I don't know much, but I don't even know how to learn.
    Is there a guide to understand something ?!

I managed to install OMV on a pendrive. It wasn't easy to find the bug that not permit it.
    I thought the worst was over. I was wrong.

Now, I would like only create a UNIQUE volume with my 2 HD.
    I've 2 HD, 3 tb each one. I need only one volume to put my file, films and music mainly.
    No raid.
    And I don't care how and why the system stores the information.
    In the full disk, in the more empty. In what weighs less or in the colder one.
    Because I'm not an engineer. I don't have to configure the nas of UPS.
    I need a HOME nas, where to put my useless data and share it on the hosts I want.

What should I do?!
    I've installed many plugins. Snapraid, UnionFS, omvextraorg.
    I formatted the hd in XFS.
    Now, to create a single volume, what should I do?
    What Snapraid? What for?
    What aufs? What for? How does it work?
    What mergefs? What for? How does it work?
    What mhddfs? What for? How does it work?
    Why choose one over another?

• wow wow wow, slow down a bit.
    first bit of advice is slow down and relax,
    next, YOU NEED A PLAN!

you can not, should not just jump in head first into this.

do you care about your data?
    do you need a safe NAS setup and data protected?

if the answer for any of this question is Yes, than you need a plan.

now that said,
    if you installed any plugins that means you have the omvextras installed.

since you say you already installed Snapraid, UnionFS, you have what you need to do what you want.

now please understand that without LVM or RAID or ZFS or even BTRFS you can not have a single Volume on multiple drives. this are the technologies that do just that, allow you to jumble together a bunch of disks and present them to the system as if it was a single big drive/volume.
    there is also a hardware raid solutions out there doing the same thing.

now. lets explore.
    you do not need Snapraid as it is used for data safety as in , if you setup Snapraid and disk fails you might be able to recover the data using Snapraid recovery utilities.
    no harm in using it though as it is already installed. JUST REMEMBER it is NOT a BACKUP and you still can loose data in case of failure.

for what you want you would use the UnionFileSystem plugin.
    mount the data drives in filesystem tab

go to the plugin tab, select union file system
    click add
    give your new volume a name
    than select devices you want to use as a single voluem.

leave all defaults, or select the file distribution options as need.
    click ok and you are done.

you should see a new filesystem in filesystem tab with the name you gave in previous step.

now you can create a share using THAT mount and that share will be presented as a single volume of 6T to the users.

PS >>
    What aufs? What for? How does it work?
    What mergefs? What for? How does it work?
    What mhddfs? What for? How does it work?

all of this file systems are used to present multiple storage devices as a single volume to the user when needed . as far as I know, OMV 3.0 only uses mergerfs in the unionfilesystem plug-in
    OMV 2.0 used to have aufs and mhddfs but it was never ported to v 3.0 and not sure if it will be.

and unless you have a good reason not to , I would use OMV3.0 for the setup.

omv 3.0.56 erasmus | 64 bit | 4.7 backport kernel
    SM-SC846(24 bay)| H8DME-2 |2x AMD Opteron Hex Core 2431 @ 2.4Ghz |49GB RAM
    PSU: Silencer 760 Watt ATX Power Supply
    IPMI |3xSAT2-MV8 PCI-X |4 NIC : 2x Realteck + 1 Intel Pro Dual port PCI-e card
    OS on 2×120 SSD in RAID-1 |
    DATA: 3x3T| 4x2T | 2x1T

• wow wow wow, slow down a bit.
    first bit of advice is slow down and relax,
    next, YOU NEED A PLAN!

You right.
    But there are many options, I don't know even one.
    And it's all in English, although I try and find some information, I don't understand everything.
    It is extremely frustrating.

Before I used xpenology. Very different from OMV, much simpler.
    I managed to create a single volume with my HD.
    I used the mergerfs option.
    I don't know if it's okay.
    I tried searching on google the differences between the three options available but I found nothing.
    I found only one guy who said he was extremely happy because mergerfs had the characteristics of aufs and mhddfs. So I chose that.

Now I don't know how to upload files on the HD.
    In Xpenology I opened the volume and there was the upload button.
    Here what should I do?!
    I googled, I found a guide. A guy who made me configure dlna, SMB, NFS .... but I like to upload the files do not know yet.

I'm doing this to load movies and TV series on the nas and log on with Plex.
    Nothing more.

• well here is your problem, xpenology and OMV are two completely different things.

xpenology is first and foremost a NAS system. basic Network storage. yes it has some bells and whistles but it is a NAS system, built and designed for that purpose.
    OMV is a bit more. it is a full Linux distro with a WebGUI design for management of the system.
    so some things maybe a bit not as straightforward or easy.

here are some basic steps for you. and keep in mind I have already outlined some of them in my previous post and you may have already done some of them as well. so just use it as a Check List

Step #1. install OMV. do the install, configure and update the system
    Step #2. Install OMVextras, again run all updates etc..
    Step #3. Install UnionFileSystem plugin. and if desired SnapRaid plugin
    Step #4. Make sure you can see all of your data drives in PhysicalDrives tab
    and that you can create file system and mount all of the data drives in FileSystem tab.
    to make things a little easier I like to add disk labels to the drives like "Data1" etc.
    since we are not using Raid, hardware or software (aka mdadm) we will ignore the raid tab.
    NOTE: now if you did all of the above correctly, in the FileSystem tab you should see all the disks you have in the system with sizes and labels or UUIDs, file system types and status online

Step #5. now we are ready to create your single volume using the data drives.
    go to the Union Filesystems tab and click ADD.
    in the resulting windows type the name for your volume.
    under the name you should have a list of all the drives in the system that are eligible to use for joint
    volume. select all you want. there is a minimum of 2 devices
    next choose the rule on how to distribute the data amongst the drives using the Create Policy dropdown.
    this provides the uninonFS with a guide on what to do when you load the data on the volume.
    you can also adjust the minimum free space value (default is 4G) I usually leave defaults for everything
    else.
    when you click OK a new mount point will be created in the filesystem tabs with the name you provided.
    it will have a UUID moun point in /media/<UUID>, label what ever you named it and capacity totaling the capacity of drives used in the batch.

Step #6. now you can create a share using the new volume. in OMV you can not directly upload/download anything on the drives. version 2 used to have a file explorer plugin that gave this ability but version 3 does not have one.
    but you can create shares on the volume, and connect to them from other PCs and load data that way.
    so in your case you would create a share "Media" using the new volume and upload everything there.

FYI, even though you now have a single volume to use. you can still access and use drives independently
    as well.

good luck and keep as informed of your progress

PS>> what language do you speak, just curious.

• Sorry for the delay in the response.
    I'm Italian.

My progress? Null.

OMV isn't for me.
    I need something more immediate.
    I'm not going to study to do something so unimportant.
    I'll return to xpenology.

• sorry to hear that.

I am really not sure why you are having so much problems setting up and use OMV
    out of many distros I have tried I think OMV is the most user friendly and usable.
    I really not sure what you mean by "more immediate"

I understand that maybe what you need/want is a simple NAS. and thus OMV could be too overwhelming for you. just keep in mind that if you ever need more functionality OMV may be a very good choice for you as a newbie compared to many other distros out there.

good luck.

• I don't say that OMV is a bad project or hurt.
    I'm sure it's a program made good.
    I'm saying that it's not for everyone and it's not simple.
    This program isn't easy to use and configure.
    It provides that users have very specialized knowledge.
    With great difficulty, I managed to create the mergerfs. I created users.
    But now I can't upload files.
    I must configure and activate the services on the nas and, after, use third-party programs or the terminal to connect my notebook to the nas.
    This should be a simpler procedure. Because I have to learn third-party programs or terminal commands to upload files on nas?!
    Xpenology's GUI is used to use the nas, on OMV is used to configure it, a support to the terminal.
    On Xpenology I have a tree view, I see directories and files. I press a button and I select directory / files to be uploaded and the destination. Done. Simple.
    On OMV, you can do this?
    I had to install Filezilla.
    But I can't connect to the nas.
    Maybe the nas isn't configured right? I don't know. I don't know services / protocols, nor the configuration parameters or what they mean.
    Maybe filezilla isn't configured properly. I don't know. I have never used Filezilla and I haven't any networks specific knowledge.
    Maybe the router. I don't know. As I said before, I haven't any networks specific knowledge.
    To me it doesn't seem so easy to use OMV. :(

• Offizieller Beitrag

To me it doesn't seem so easy to use OMV.

When you are used to one NAS, it makes another harder to use if it is different. To me, OMV is simple to use but it would take some time to figure out xpenology. OMV is also more flexible than xpenology which makes tasks more difficult.

Xpenology's GUI is used to use the nas, on OMV is used to configure it, a support to the terminal.

While you may like this better, putting the client tools on the server is not what a NAS is designed for.

On OMV, you can do this?
    I had to install Filezilla.
    But I can't connect to the nas.
    Maybe the nas isn't configured right? I don't know. I don't know services / protocols, nor the configuration parameters or what they mean.
    Maybe filezilla isn't configured properly. I don't know. I have never used Filezilla and I haven't any networks specific knowledge.

Are you using Windows? Enable samba (smb/cifs - windows file sharing protocol) and create a share. Then browse to the NAS with Windows explorer. You don't need ftp or filezilla.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• @ryecoaaron

I'm not expressing a technical opinion.
    I don't have the knowledge to use it, how can I to judge them?!
    I'm not saying that put a client tool on the server is a good thing. I say it's easier for the user. And more user friendly.
    If you put the client tool on the server, it's all already configured: you don't ask anything at users, because users may not even know what you're talking about.
    But you have to see for who or what this software was done.
    I have chosen it because it's free, because it's based on Linux and because I read many, many times "free, easy, affordable for everyone".

To upload my files on nas, what should I do?
    I use linux mint 18 on my notebook.
    My lan is:

Router fritzbox 7390 192.168.0.1
    AP Asus rt-ac68u 192.168.0.2
    Nas 192.168.0.3
    my notebook 192.168.0.5

All connected with cable. My notebook on wifi.

• theo, if I understand you correctly , xpenology on it's management GUI (WebUI)
    has a tool that you can use to upload the files onto NAS. and it's great, but
    OMV does not really need that. in fact IMHO the OMV is a real NAS setup as it does one thing and one thing well, it allows you to configure and share your data storage (your data drives) on a network in multiple ways using standard protocols. that is all it does (yes I am very well aware that OMV can do much more than that, let's just concentrate on the main goal of the product, the use it was initially targeted for)
    as I said before, I do not understand why you are having such problems in setting up your nas on OMV.
    I am not by no means Linux guru or even poweruser. and I did not have so many issues with simple setup as yours. I has issue with my setup, ture, but I am going beyond simple NAS configuration and thus getting my self in trouble often.

I had outlined you all the basic steps you need to do for a successful setup.
    after that all you really need , especially since you are using Linux, configure NFS shares, configure Samba shares
    and just connect to them from your PC as if they simple network shares. on Linx mint just fire up the file browser, go network, find your OMV server and connect to the exposed shares. than upload any things to the shares.
    using samba is somewhat simpler as it creates a universal shares, for Linux and Windows clients.

it should be the same way you should be using any other NAS solution. but with more options.

now as with any and all Linux based solutions, nothing is really free here, if you do not pay with money, you pay with your time. but OMV has one of the best help system on this forum.
    I only have seen couple of others as good as this one but only a couple.

ultimately it is your choice.
    stay and try to figure it out, and if you do , be proud of your accomplishments,
    or go and use what ever product works for you. that is a beauty of it. you have a choice and free to use it.

although, I wouldn't sell yourself short, if I was you.
    you did figure out how to setup Xpenology, right.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von vl1969 ()

• All you need is to share by SAMBA the folder or the folders that you want to see on your Network (linux mint), in linux mint you need to mount this shares ( double clic on it and write user & password), and configure it to be persistent to avoid ask for password each time, and thats all, you can see a folder in your Linux Mint that reside on your NAS.

eg: I share a folder named "Video" on my NAS and other Share folder named MyData, and use it on my Windows but I can use in linux mint too.

I can access my videos that reside on my NAS thought the LAN and see on my desktop player ( or in my TV if I activate DLNA server on my NAS).

Sorry but you need to read and investigate a few before to mount a NAS in the same way that you google and investigate if you want to buy a car or a house ( and NO, you no need to be a linux power user).

• @vl1969
    @ryecoaaron
    @raulfg3

Sorry if I haven't responded but I was away on business and I didn't have to hand nas.
    Reading your comments, I didn't understand why it's easy for everyone and not for me.
    So on the weekend, I tried again to understand.
    While trying arrived a blackout.
    All off.
    Solved the problem, I have restarted everything: in the notebook's file manager I found all active server that plugins I had installed on OMV.
    Happy, but the problems were not over.
    I have found a network connection named "Windows", available without logging, but without shared folders I had created earlier in OMV.
    I have found two network connection named "NFS", one for each shared folders I had created earlier in OMV, available with logging, but impossible to access.
    I have found a network connection named "SMB/CIFS", available with logging, but without shared folders I had created earlier in OMV.
    In addition, I had problems with Plex, but for now this isn't important.
    Given the problems, I have decided to cancel the shared folders I had created and create others.
    Impossible. The folder could not be deleted because they are using.
    Then I decided to turn off all services. Shared folders were impossible to erase, always for the same reason.
    I sought explanations with google: I think I've done that. I think.

http://forum.openmediavault.or…ed-folder-and-filesystem/

So I started again.
    I made another installation.

@vl1969

I have taken your previous post and I followed the steps that you said.
    I have installed OMVextras and UnionFileSystem.
    I formatted the hd with XFS filesystem, and I gave them the label.
    Now, in the FileSystem tab, I can see both disks formatted and that it's possible to mount.
    I haven't mounted them. I have to mount them?
    Before I create a filesystem union or after?
    Reading your post it seems that I must first mount the 2 hd and after creating the union filesystem.
    Correct?
    Which data distribution rule should I put?
    Aufs, mergers or mhddfs?
    And the shared folders? When should I create them? And what I have to do to don't make the mistake I made earlier?

• not 100% sure but I do believe you need to have all of the drives mounted in the fileSystem tab before you can do single volume on them. the union system is not a real volume it is an emulation on top of the FS you already have so yes all drives need to be formatted and mounted in OMV first.
    in latest unionfilesystem plugin only mergerfs is available, unless something changed since I tried it last time.

now once all of your physical HDs are mounted, when you create a union FS in the plugin tab, it will join all drives you select into new volume and mount it automatically on creation. under the name you type in during creation.
    so let say you have 2 HD D1 and D2 , you go into unionfilesystem tab, select add/create(don't remember proper name)
    in the pop-up window type the name you want to use for the single volume (i.e. myDataStore)
    select the disks you want to use (i.e. D1 and D2)
    select file system, again in v3 , only mergerfs will work unless something changed since couple of week ago.
    choose the data distribution, I usually use default but you can decide for yourself

once you click OK it will create the new volume and mount it in the file system tab under "myDataStore" name.

once that happens you can start creating your shares as if it was a real single data drive, just select THAT(myDataStore) device as target.

everything else should be just as you would do normally on any data disk/share.

I can not tell you what you should/should not do ,and what mistakes you can or can not avoid.
    I still make mistakes my self, and even very stupid ones at that :)
    trial and error man , trial and error :)

wish it would have been easier sometimes.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!