Lowering OMV Power Consumption in an Asus F2A85-M Board

• spend few days of search internet and try and error, what I did to make it works is:
    1) install Debain
    2) Upgrade the kernel from 2.6 to 3.2 ( 2.6 do not support AMD driver)
    3) install AMD driver
    4) install OMV over Debain

you maybe just need direct upgrade the kernel and install the AMD driver on OMV install.

• Zitat von "ruans"

spend few days of search internet and try and error, what I did to make it works is:
    1) install Debain
    2) Upgrade the kernel from 2.6 to 3.2 ( 2.6 do not support AMD driver)
    3) install AMD driver
    4) install OMV over Debain

you maybe just need direct upgrade the kernel and install the AMD driver on OMV install.

Ok. So where can I get this driver? Would this be the AMD linux drivers? I'm going to test this out today.

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "ruans"

This definitely should work and would help people with an existing install.

Drivers should be here.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

This definitely should work and would help people with an existing install.

Drivers should be here.

Thanks ryecoaaron! I'll give this a try and hopefully get it to work with my limited knowledge. Will report back.

• I'm about to give up on this. I tried what seti explained but I had to stop because it was going to delete OMV. I have no clue which kernel OMV 0.4.2 runs on (2.6, 3.2, other?) and less of a clue on how to upgrade the kernel (to 3.2) if needed to install the AMD linux driver (which I also don't have a clue how to do).

So if anyone would like to jump in and guide me though this I would really appreciate it.

Edit: I think I managed to update OMV to kernel 3.2 with #1 in this link: http://forums.openmediavault.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1135
    I still need information on how to install AMD linux drivers. Thanks!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yep, that should've install the backports 3.2 kernel.

As root,

Code
    Download amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13.1-linux-x86.x86_64.zip
    unzip amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13.1-linux-x86.x86_64.zip
    chmod +x amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13.1-linux-x86.x86_64.run
    ./amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13.1-linux-x86.x86_64.run

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Debian

Debian Squeeze x86_64 and AMD A Series (June 2012)

First install Kernel 3.2 from squeeze-backports. Add backports to your sources.list Add this line
    deb http://backports.debian.org/debian-backports squeeze-backports main contrib non-free

to your sources.list (or add a new file to /etc/apt/sources.list.d/)
    $ sudo apt-get update
    $ sudo apt-get -t squeeze-backports install linux-image-3.2.0-0.bpo.2-amd64

$ sudo reboot

$ sudo apt-get remove --purge xserver-xorg-video-radeon
    $ sudo apt-get -t squeeze-backports install fglrx-driver fglrx-control fglrx-glx fglrx-atieventsd fglrx-modules-dkms

If you are using 64-bit Debian, install the 32-bit fglrx libraries for use with 32-bit programs.
    $ sudo apt-get -t squeeze-backports install fglrx-glx-ia32

Category: Distributions

• I tested OMV a long time ago and trim was not working on the default kernel. You need be a few kernels higher to get trim working. People that are not using trim, and no entry in fstab, do not seem to be having issues though. So I think the newer firmware in the ssds does not need trim active in the kernel. I upgraded for better support of my motherboard. I don't think it is really necessary on the n40l.

• Hi ruans. Unfortunately this does not work. I added backports to the sources.list using "nano sources.list" in the etc/apt directory. The I went back to root and tried "sudo apt-get update" and it runs a few things then I get "W: Failed to fetch http://ftp.us.debian.org/debia…s/squeeze-updates/Release". I ran the apt-get update command a second time and the "Failed" error did not show up. Then I run "sudo apt-get -t squeeze-backports install linux-image-3.2.0-0.bpo.2-amd64" and I get:

Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Unable to locate package linux-image-3.2.0-0.bpo.2-amd64
    E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'linux-image-3.2.0-0.bpo.2-amd64'"

So no luck here. No clue what is going on.

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

Yep, that should've install the backports 3.2 kernel.

As root,

Code
    Download amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13.1-linux-x86.x86_64.zip
    unzip amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13.1-linux-x86.x86_64.zip
    chmod +x amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13.1-linux-x86.x86_64.run
    ./amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13.1-linux-x86.x86_64.run

I tried this method and the Download command is not recognized.

"root@openmediavault:~# Download amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13.1-linux-x86.x86_64.zip
    -bash: Download: command not found"

• Offizieller Beitrag

Sorry, that isn't a command. Forgot to change it.

Try: wget http://www2.ati.com/drivers/li…13.1-linux-x86.x86_64.zip

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

Sorry, that isn't a command. Forgot to change it.

Try: wget http://www2.ati.com/drivers/li…13.1-linux-x86.x86_64.zip

Ok here's the latest. I made a fresh OMV install. Upgraded to 3.2 kernel as previously stated. Got the driver with your above command. Couldn't unzip so I googled around for a while and found how to install the unzip package. I then unziped the file. Then changed its name (I guess) with chmod command.

Now, when I run "./amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13.1-linux-x86.x86_64.run" the driver is verified and uncompressed but I get the following:

"error: X Server version cannot be detected. (default:v2:x86_64:lib::none:3.2.0-0.bpo.4-amd64:)
    Installation will not proceed.

Removing temporary directory: fglrx-install.nGQMOT"

Any clues? I seem to be so close to getting this installed.

• in the line

sudo apt-get -t squeeze-backports install linux-image-3.2.0-0.bpo.2-amd64

need change to
    sudo apt-get -t squeeze-backports install linux-image-3.2.0-0.bpo.4-amd64

they updated the kernel image from linux-image-3.2.0-0.bpo.2-amd64 to linux-image-3.2.0-0.bpo.4-amd64

• Offizieller Beitrag

apt-get install xterm should install the minimal X libraries need for the driver as well.

• Any news on this?
    I'm currently running OMV on a E350 but I'm lacking some cpu power so I'm considering going for an A10 5700. It's either that or a 3220T. Any advice?

• Zitat von "skit"

Any news on this?
    I'm currently running OMV on a E350 but I'm lacking some cpu power so I'm considering going for an A10 5700. It's either that or a 3220T. Any advice?

I tried everything mentioned here as well as other tips I found elsewhere to no avail. I had to close my testing system (HTPC) as I have family visiting, so I basically gave up on using AMD APUs for this and will be going with an Intel 3220T. Still debating motherboard.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!