Lowering OMV Power Consumption in an Asus F2A85-M Board

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

The ASRock FM2A85X-ITX FM2 AMD A85X has 7 6GB/s sata ports and is mini-itx.

That is the board I'm most interested in. But if support for setting low power cpu state is experimental or not working, then I would need to go Intel.That is the reason I am running these tests on my HTPC hardware (AMD A10-5700 and ASUS A85X uATX board) before committing to purchasing parts. But I need to get this done soon because I have 4 3TB disks waiting for data and zero storage available in my main rig. I have tested Windows Storage Server 2012 and it gives me ~25w idle vs. ~50w with Nas4Free and >45w with OMV. It obviously does not have ZFS but does have deduplication. Also, I still need to read on the Storage Spaces pros and cons.

I would still prefer a non-Windows solution.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Forgive me I missed something but try install (not permanently) a minimal Ubuntu Server 12.10 (or 13.04) and see what kind of power draw the system has. This will answer the kernel question and whether a non-Windows solution will attain the 25 w marker.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

Forgive me I missed something but try install a minimal Ubuntu Server 12.10 (or 13.04) and see what kind of power draw the system has. This will answer the kernel question and whether a non-Windows solution will attain the 25 w marker.

Will look it up right now and post results.

Edit: Sad to say it does not work. Power consumption in the low 50s. I've read about people writing scripts and integrating them, but I have not seen any results. It seems too complicated. I guess this platform would not be the best choice for my NAS. My alternative would be Intel or AMD Kabini (which should have a TDP of 9-15W when it gets here in Q2 2013).

• ok lets see.
    you can get console access if you activate ssh in the webinterface and connect to your omv machine with putty or something similar.
    user: root
    pwd: you have created at installation.
    or you can log into the console if your machine is connected to display and keyboard.

if you are on the console:

Code
    cd /etc/apt
    nano apt.conf
    # comment out first line should look like this:
    # APT::Default-Release "...";
    # save & close the file, ctrl + x and confirm with y

the above code deaktivates release "locks".

next code block deactivates the installation of php-5.4 cause there is a confilct with omv dependencies:

Code
    nano /etc/apt/preferences
    # add the following lines:
    # ------ cut here -------
    Package: php5*
    Pin: release a=stable
    Pin-Priority: 700
    # ------ cut here -------
    # save the file

next we setup the repositories:

this should be the setup.
    next be carefull, we will update the system to the new repository:

Code
    apt-get update
    apt-get dist-upgrade
    #WARNING: check the Pakages that will be "REMOVED". There shouldnt be openmediavault, if there is openmediavault listed, the "php update block doesnt work correctly, inform me, and i will try to sort it out.

if its ok, lets do the update.
    if there comes up a config merge, use the default option =N, wich means the config wont be overwritten.
    there comes up a question wich will restart services automatically without asking everytime. say yes here.
    lets do the update, if its done, reboot the machine.

after this the only thing to do is the kernel update to 3.8.
    i will write it down later.

greetings

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "ravennevar"

Sad to say it does not work. Power consumption in the low 50s.

What version did you end up trying? I assume 12.10. If Ubuntu server didn't fix the problem (uses 3.6 kernel), I don't think the unstable 3.8 is going to fix it either. I would go with a different platform.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Zitat von "seti"

ok lets see.
    you can get console access if you activate ssh in the webinterface and connect to your omv machine with putty or something similar.

Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

What version did you end up trying? I assume 12.10. If Ubuntu server didn't fix the problem (uses 3.6 kernel), I don't think the unstable 3.8 is going to fix it either. I would go with a different platform.

Thanks seti. I will give it a try even though I already tried Ubuntu server 13.04 to no avail. But obviously with my minimal knowledge I may have missed something that would have improved power consumption.

Now I am looking into the Intel Core i3-3220T 35w TDP for the CPU. Any suggestions on a motherboard? This CPU supports ECC. Do you think it is useful/needed for a NAS setup? I have not seen a regular consumer board that supports ECC, at least not officially.

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "ravennevar"

Now I am looking into the Intel Core i3-3220T 35w TDP for the CPU. Any suggestions on a motherboard? This CPU supports ECC. Do you think it is useful/needed for a NAS setup? I have not seen a regular consumer board that supports ECC, at least not officially.

I don't think you need ECC. Lots of good boards out there. Too bad you can't use a micro-ATX board.

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

I don't think you need ECC. Lots of good boards out there. Too bad you can't use a micro-ATX board.

ECC option discarded! I would consider a micro-ATX board. The problem would be the case, as I don't want to end up with another huge piece of hardware in my office. If I can get a relatively small case where I could fit at least 6 HDDs, then it could be a possibility. I'll start searching again to see what I find. Let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks ryecoaaron!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I love my Silverstone TJ08B-E. It has room for 1 2.5" drive, four 3.5" drives and two optical bays. You could easily add a 3 to 2 adapter to add 3 more hard drives in optical drive bays. Small and excellent cooling.

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

I love my Silverstone TJ08B-E. It has room for 1 2.5" drive, four 3.5" drives and two optical bays. You could easily add a 3 to 2 adapter to add 3 more hard drives in optical drive bays. Small and excellent cooling.

That Silverstone looks nice and seems like a good alternative. However, I have a question for you. On their website and manual they state that it has the 4 x 3.5" drive bay, and under this bay there is an extra 3.5" external/internal bay. In addition, they mention that there is a 2.5" bay in the case. When I look at the manual, it seems that the 2.5" bay is where the extra 3.5" bay is. Am I correct or are they two separate bays just very close to each other? Thanks again!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Actually I think you can get a 3.5 drive in the bottom tray. The 2.5" mounts to the bottom of the chassis. I will see if I can get a good pic.

Yes, there is a slot for a 3.5" drive in the bottom. I have a 3.5 to 2.5 adapter in it. There are also holes in the bottom of the chassis. Not sure if you could get a 3.5 drive there or not but definitely a 2.5" drive. I don't have the four drive chassis installed. It is removable.

• So the 2.5" mounts outside the chassis? In the manual it appears to be mounted inside and to occupy that 3.5" bottom bay. Here's a link to the manual: http://www.silverstonetek.com/…e/Multi-TJ08-E-Manual.pdf

If you look at page 7 they show how to mount the 2.5" drive and in the next picture it seems to have the HDD connectors to the side of the 3.5" bay. There are other pictures in the manual that show that 3.5" bay populated with a 3.5" drive. So I am confused, is it one or the other or both?

Edit: Are you happy with your ASRock H77 Pro4-M? Would you recommend other alternatives?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'll have to take the tray out to look and let you know. Love the H77 board. Never had any issues with it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

After looking at mine, I am pretty sure you can mount a 2.5 drive on the bottom (inside the chassis) and still get a 3.5" drive in the bottom bay. What I don't know is if there would be enough room to get a cable to it.

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

After looking at mine, I am pretty sure you can mount a 2.5 drive on the bottom (inside the chassis) and still get a 3.5" drive in the bottom bay. What I don't know is if there would be enough room to get a cable to it.

Thanks for checking. If I go mATX, that is the case I'll get. I know the options for an mITX board are close to none, but do you see any advantages in going micro ATX besides the obvious numerous boards? Do you have an idea of the power consumption for your system?

• Offizieller Beitrag

The biggest advantages are expandability (more than one slot and four memory slots) and cooling (plenty of room for real cpu cooler). I think the micro-atx cases run cooler than the mini-itx cases.

The highest I have seen my system pull (ups is plugged into the kill-a-watt) is 180 W and average is about 150 W. As you can see from my sig, there is a fast Xeon (69W), lot of drives (12 total plus 3 dvd drives) and three power supplies because of the two external enclosures. The system is always running a Windows XP VM, sometimes a Wheezy VM, and does lots of video encoding. Thats high compared to what you are looking for but I had an N40L and another system (q8200 quad core) and together they were pulling over 250 W.

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

The biggest advantages are expandability (more than one slot and four memory slots) and cooling (plenty of room for real cpu cooler). I think the micro-atx cases run cooler than the mini-itx cases.

The highest I have seen my system pull (ups is plugged into the kill-a-watt) is 180 W and average is about 150 W. As you can see from my sig, there is a fast Xeon (69W), lot of drives (12 total plus 3 dvd drives) and three power supplies because of the two external enclosures. The system is always running a Windows XP VM, sometimes a Wheezy VM, and does lots of video encoding. Thats high compared to what you are looking for but I had an N40L and another system (q8200 quad core) and together they were pulling over 250 W.

You are running quite a few things! I have selected a few u-ATX boards that I think would be good choices. I'll see if I can bring it down to three and then select from there. Thanks again for your input.

• You need install AMD display driver to active the AMD APU power saving feature. I did basic same thing as you did. research and test all kind of linux based NAS solution and found OMV is the best. But idle power consumption is higher then Ubuntu and Windows. In the end, I got it work.
    My test system:
    PSU: Antec 430w 80plus
    cpu: AMD A3500
    MB: Gigbyte A75-D2H
    HDD 2.5" 80GB
    4GB RAM
    Idle Power usage:
    OMV standard install = 29w
    Ubuntu and windows 7 = 22w
    OMV + Debian + AMD display driver = 22w

Add 4x 3TB HDD at idle = 28w

• ruans: Thanks for your suggestion. Where would I find these drivers and how do I install them?

seti: I will test your kernel suggestion soon. I have been a little bit busy here. Will post back.

• Offizieller Beitrag

ruans - great find!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!