Permission and System user problem

• i´m trying the 3.0.51 and have installed Sonarr and Coutchpotato. Booth of them create an System User, but i´m doesen´t see them under users. Did something wrong or it not an bug but a feauture? Under 2.2.9 i can see Coutchpoato user...

• Offizieller Beitrag

The User tab doesn't show system users. The user created when you installed couchpotato on OMV 2.x was not a system user. Not sure when that changed but it shouldn't cause any problems.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.11 | compose 7.1.3 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't know how they work since I don't use them but the user created is the user the services run as. The folder it writes to can have permissions open enough for all of those services. And just because the permissions on a folder are very open on the server doesn't mean the have to be wide open when shared via something like samba.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.11 | compose 7.1.3 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• actually i habe the problem that soanrr can´t acess my Series folder - no write permissions. The sonarr user isn´t under the other users, how i can give him the right permissions? By CP i have ths problem also...

What so you use instead of Sonarr or CP?

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can always make the change from the command line but I would think this would be a common problem for other users.

I don't use any file sharing programs.

• its not abot the problem and please do not missunderstod, but if im want to use the cli so they are loots of alternates. I like the concept from OMV and i´m really sad if it goes in the cli direction. Yes it is an workaround but it destroy the whole concept.

Would an reistall help to see the "other" users? Or any other ideas?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Then submit a feature request on github - https://github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers
    I didn't write these plugins nor do I use them. I just figured I would answer why the user wasn't in the user list. I don't agree that doing one thing one time in the cli destroys the concept. You will always have to use the cli to upgrade to newer major versions of OMV.

Reinstall won't help. The users are created with the --system flag which means they will never show up in the user list.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Those usernames they were used to be created under the group "users". This changed some time ago because the developer decided it was for the user to decide wether those daemon had write access to shared folders. Just drop down to cli and add those usernames to the users group. If you want to handle them from the ui then just change their uid in the /etc/passwd file to be higher than 1000. Don't forget to change the chown the binaries folder location otherwise the self update of those programs won't work.

• i'm understand it so: that OMV try it to bring Linux to the Normal Guy who does not have lots of Linux or CLI skills. I have make a quick search in this forum and also over Google. Permissions is one field were are the most mistake happens. This is why im find the concept of OMV so good and are sad about the decide tho handle the permissions over the CLI.

One more thing - i'm know the cli is an really mighty and universal tool, but the risk to make mistake are also big. For new user are the risks higher than the benefits i thing. Just an example: right a month ago in the IT department have a software problem - the mistake wars one char on the wrong place over the cli... But it takes loots of time to find it. So i'll hope you don't misunderstood and it isn't naything personal. This are just my experiences and what I've have seen from the IT guys.

@subzero79

what is now the concept?

• Offizieller Beitrag

what is now the concept?

The concept of what? Obviously OMV's concept is to not have to use the cli but it is very difficult to avoid 100% of the time when OMV is so flexible (unlike commercial NASes). Also, this is not an OMV decision. This is just related to this plugin. If you file a request to have the user automatically added to the users group or have a checkbox in the plugin to add the user to the users group, you wouldn't have to use cli.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Just installed couchpotato and it has a checkbox to run as the users group which would solve your problem for that plugin.

• Ah Ok thats an Plugin problem :(

I'm try the checkbox in CP but it doesn't help. So actually is the cli the best solution :/

So please write the correct cli command. Its maybe something for the HowTo section, so soften this question comes here. If you agree so lets make an little how to for the beginners - or people like me ho doesn't like the cli ;)

• i´m try to add the user soanrr to the users group with

Code
    usermod -a -G users sonarr

but the folder is not writable by user sonarr. So i´m try also with an goup extra created fo this and give the gorup RW, include the user sonarr to this group but still Folder is not writable by user sonarr... So were is my mistake?

• Hello Indigo,

i guess you have already figured out your mistake ?

the comand usermod -a -G users sonarr adds sonarr to the group of users, but you have to restart/reboot your machine in order to have to desired affect.

Oone of the reasons you might have received this less feedback is indeed a lot of people have/had similar problems and found the solution already in the forum. Therefore i guess sometimes it's just driving ppl nuts always answering the same / similar questions.

I've i.E. found the usermod command in at least 4 topics of tekkb not related with sonarr but with emby and plex.

Cheers

Software:
    OMV 3.0 / Plex / Snapraid / Tvheadend / ecoDMS / sonar / sabnzbd
    Hardware:
    ASRock C2750D4I / 2x Kingston KVR16E11/8 / Dell PERC H200 Crossflashed / 8x WD Red 3 TB / 60GB TeamGroup Dark L3 SSD / Samsung 750 EVO 256 GB SSD / Sundtek Sky TV Ultimate 6 DVB-S2

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!