Snapraid install fails; no raid0 persistence

• OMV 3.x
    • Snapraid install fails; no raid0 persistence

Hello,

TL;DR; Raid0 fails after reboot. Snapraid fails to install even after omv update

Source Code

1. The following packages have unmet dependencies:
      2. openmediavault-snapraid : Depends: snapraid (>= 9.1) but it is not installable
      3. E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
      Goal: To make a RAID0 NAS and seedbox out of 3 usb sticks after HD died on trusty RPi3

Fails:
      • Array persistence after reboot. most probably PEBKAC. Please see RAID0 creation commands below
      • Snapraid plugin installation

Source Code

1. udevadm control --stop-exec-queue
      2. mdadm --create --verbose /dev/md0 --run --level=stripe --raid-devices=3 /dev/sda /dev/sdb /dev/sdc
      3. mdadm --stop /dev/md0
      4. mdadm --detail --scan >> /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf #
      5. mdadm -A /dev/md0 /dev/sda /dev/sdb /dev/sdc --homehost=kodukoer --update=homehost
      6. udevadm control --start-exec-queue
      I have added the UUID of the array to fstab, but not quite sure either if it's correct. Just in case will bring it up here as well

Source Code

1. UUID=77bd567a-a893a0b4-03eac542-27926cc9 /media/kuut ext4 rw,auto,nofail,acl,user_xattr,noexec,async,suid,dev,jqfmt=vfsv0,acl 0 2

Any feedback (pointers, hints, flame etc) is greatly appreciated!

Edit: added mdadm conf line
      To err is human. To compute is calculator.

The post was edited 1 time, last by blo ().

• Please don't use usb raid on an RPi. Yes, I know it only has usb.

Why are you creating the raid array outside the web interface? If you mount it with your own fstab entry, you can't use it in any plugin.

What is the output of: apt-cache policy snapraid
      omv 4.0.14 arrakis | 64 bit | 4.13 backports kernel | omvextrasorg 4.1.1
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers

Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • > Please don't use usb raid on an RPi. Yes, I know it only has usb.
      I was sure hoping it can handle raid :(

> Why are you creating the raid array outside the web interface?
      Due to the fact that:
      1. Cannot install snapraid
      2. Once raid was created from RAID Management, there was following output:

Source Code

1. Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C; omv-mkraid /dev/md0 -l stripe -n 3 -N koerakoon /dev/sda /dev/sdb /dev/sdc 2>&1' with exit code '1': mdadm: chunk size defaults to 512K mdadm: Defaulting to version 1.2 metadata mdadm: failed to open /dev/sdb after earlier success - aborting
      2. Error #0:
      3. exception 'OMV\ExecException' with message 'Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C; omv-mkraid /dev/md0 -l stripe -n 3 -N koerakoon /dev/sda /dev/sdb /dev/sdc 2>&1' with exit code '1': mdadm: chunk size defaults to 512K
      4. mdadm: Defaulting to version 1.2 metadata
      5. mdadm: failed to open /dev/sdb after earlier success - aborting' in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/process.inc:175
      6. Stack trace:
      7. #0 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/raidmgmt.inc(249): OMV\System\Process->execute()
      8. #1 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceRaidMgmt->create(Array, Array)
      9. #2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(124): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
      10. #3 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(84): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('create', Array, Array)
      11. #4 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(516): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('RaidMgmt', 'create', Array, Array, 1)
      12. #5 {main}
      Display All
    • blo wrote:

I was sure hoping it can handle raid
      It can handle raid. I just have seen too many problems with it and any problems with raid 0 would cause all data to be lost.

Did you try the apt clean button in omv-extras? You don't use snapraid with raid arrays typically.
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers

• ryecoaaron wrote:

It can handle raid. I just have seen too many problems with it and any problems with raid 0 would cause all data to be lost.
      I'm not really worried about data loss at the moment but rather in proof that raid can be created. Raid0 or 5.

ryecoaaron wrote:

Did you try the apt clean button in omv-extras?
      I totally missed that. Tried but to no avail. Installing snap gives same error

ryecoaaron wrote:

You don't use snapraid with raid arrays typically.
      Indeed it is a backup program for disk arrays. It was mentioned on some forum for creating arrays and I kind of stuck with it.

Also, you were asking for apt-cache snapraid policy output. Here it is:

Source Code

1. snapraid:
      2. Installed: (none)
      3. Candidate: (none)
      4. Version table:

The post was edited 1 time, last by blo ().

• cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/omv-extras-org.list output:

Source Code

1. # This is file is generated.
      2. # OMV-Extras repos
      3. #
      4. # OMV-Extras.org
      5. deb https://dl.bintray.com/openmediavault-plugin-developers/erasmus jessie main
      6. # Debian Backports
      7. deb http://httpredir.debian.org/debian jessie-backports main contrib
      looks OK AFAIK
    • Yep, it is and I wasn't thinking. I haven't compiled a snapraid package on armhf yet because it takes SOOOOOOOO long on an RPi and no one uses snapraid on an RPi. I will see about compiling it though.