Installation on SSD, 4k sectors

• Hi!
    After installing OMV 2 on my Crucial M4 I noticed, the logical sector size is just 512 Byte. But during installation there was no way to do the partitioning manually. So how can I format it with 4k sector size?

Thanks in advance!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Are you really worried about the OS being installed using 512 sectors? It won't hurt anything and the ssd speed is more than the OS needs anyway. This is more the fault of the Debian installer. I would use OMV 3.x if you installing fresh.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

rather about SSD wear.

Why would it wear out the SSD faster? You are still writing the exact same amount of data.

But OMV 3 is just a beta, isn't it?

Some of the plugins are but I think OMV 3.x is very stable. Most of the OMV 3.x issues are due to upgrades from OMV 2.x.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Offizieller Beitrag

As far as I know, opening for writing is not setting anymore bits though. Even if it was, it wouldn't be 8x as much. Some SSDs/HDs have a 512 byte emulation feature as well. So, I would guess they are smart enough to not write excessively when using 512 byte sectors.

Lots of people are using SSDs for OMV and not having an issue. Just use the flashmemory plugin (I use it with SSDs too). Then writes won't be an issue. Either way, this either can't be fixed in OMV 2.x or won't be fixed in OMV 2.x. So, not much we can do about it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

working on that. Having the zfsonlinux repos seems to be causing problems. I am working on a change.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!