Using sym links in samba

• This will help if you are using sym links.

follow symlinks = yes
    wide links = yes
    unix extensions = no

Default install has wide no and unix yes.Once I changed /etc/samba/smb.conf settings to the above sym links worked great.

Side notes:I could share one folder with a many folders from all over the server. really nice to handle a big sharing sever for media and software for family.I just hit 10TB of Plex Media and 8TB of ISO's. Iso i need to clean up i think .. lol.But plex I moved to a docker container so I would teach myself docker to help me at work.It is doing really well there, Surprised myself. I thought it would suck. But it acts just like it did any other place I have had it.Docker is something to look at and its kinda fun to learn. And $$$ if you work in the industry.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You should use the environemnt variables in /etc/default/openmediavault to make your changes permanent if the SMB configuration is modified triggered by changes in the WebGUI.

The variables are called

OMV_SAMBA_SHARE_FOLLOWSYMLINKS

see https://github.com/openmediava…t/mkconf/samba.d/20shares

and

OMV_SAMBA_UNIXEXTENSIONS

see https://github.com/openmediava…t/mkconf/samba.d/10global

• Hi votdev,

Adding next lines, at end of /etc/default/openmediavault file?

Code
    OMV_SAMBA_SHARE_FOLLOWSYMLINKS="yes"
    OMV_SAMBA_WIDELINKS="yes"
    OMV_SAMBA_UNIXEXTENSIONS="no"

Needs reboot server?

Thanks

• Does this still work with omv 4.1.6 .. I made the changes , omv-mkconf ..and systemctl reload smbd.service

but still not visible from windows 7 .

I tried also to put these options it web SMB/CIFS configuration .. and it doesn't work !!

SMB/CIFS extra options:
    unix extensions = no

Share extra options:
    follow symlinks = yeswide links = yes

Something is not working as expected, but what ?

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Rizos39 () aus folgendem Grund: Additional information: I checked the /etc/samba/smb.conf and there are these change: root@omv4vm:~# diff smb-before.txt smb-after.txt 1c1 < root@omv4vm:~# cat /etc/samba/smb.conf > smb-before.txt --- > root@omv4vm:~# cat /etc/samba/smb.conf > smb-after.txt 26,27c26,27 < unix extensions = yes < wide links = no --- > unix extensions = no > wide links = yes root@omv4vm:~#

• Additional info

I checked the /etc/samba/smb.conf and there are these change:

root@omv4vm:~# diff smb-before.txt smb-after.txt
    1c1
    < root@omv4vm:~# cat /etc/samba/smb.conf > smb-before.txt
    ---
    > root@omv4vm:~# cat /etc/samba/smb.conf > smb-after.txt
    26,27c26,27
    < unix extensions = yes
    < wide links = no
    ---
    > unix extensions = no
    > wide links = yes
    root@omv4vm:~#

• I answer to myself, in the hope it is helpfull for others :)

The problem is that the destination of the symbolic link is inside of

root@omv4vm:~# ls -lad /root
    drwx------ 5 root root 4096 Aug 13 20:46 /root
    root@omv4vm:~#

ARgg ........ why that doesnt say no privileges ? instead it does not appear at all !!!!!!!!!!!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!